What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Scarface: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent review, Jason... I love Scarface and will definitely be picking up this release. :)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

Ditto, I cant wait until Tuesday. Carlito's Way and the Gift Set, yeah...
Hopefully I will still have some money left over to add in that money clip.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
A question about the giftset packaging. It seems that all the pictures on various sites, show that the top of the packaging doesnt come off , it opens laptop style. Know what i mean ? If indeed the giftset is like that , that would really rule !:emoji_thumbsup:

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
For once, I'm so glad that I don't have to double dip! The existing R2 of DePalma's Scarface has a nice transfer and some decent extras, and I think I can live without the hip-hop featurette on the new set! I picked up the new Carlito's Way though, and it's a fine disc - aside from those pesky forced trailers.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Together again in New York for the screening on the 17th..

Picking this up tomorrow. Screening at my crack in the wall!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw the commercials for this new release of the DVD, and I just about cracked up when Tony said "Say Hello to my leetle friend."

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Another thing I noticed is that in Scarface’s many scenes where the characters are not close to the camera, the image appears somewhat soft, and lacking in definition. One example of this can be seen at the beginning of Chapter 10. The same can be said for background detail throughout the film, and there is some minor video “noise” visible in the background of a few scenes (see Chapters 12 and 15).
Just saw this new version at the Arclight Dome last night.

Your review comments are pretty accurate for the restored theatrical version I saw last night. And there was a lack of bass throughout most of the movie.

BarryS

Second Unit
Also, did anyone catch EBERT and ROEPER this weekend? They were talking about the film and behind them on the monitors, (screens...?) they had a shot of Pacino with his rifle from....... HEAT!!!!!!!!
Yes, I noticed that too. The picture was obviously Vincent Hanna from Heat, because Pacino looks quite a bit older there than in Scarface. Oh well, maybe they ran out of Scarface promo shots.

I was delighted, yet surprised, to hear Ebert and Roeper talk about the film so fondly. I'm so used to hearing critics diss DePalma films, that it's good to see some admiration for this great director. I'm a DePalma freak, and Scarface is among his finest works. I'm really looking forward to picking up this DVD tomorrow.

My only complaint - DePalma doesn't do audio commentaries! :angry: :angry:

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I LOVE the gift set! The design is really nice. I just now finished watching the original Scarface and was very pleased with all aspects of it. I was AMAZED that I recieved this in the mail today from freedvds.com Not only was it FREE but I got it before street date! Whoohoo! Knife in the Water as well. I disagree with whoever said the money clip wasn't cool, I think it's great. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Oh my God! Michelle Pfieffer looks hotter and sexier in that photo than she did in the movie! :eek:

Indeed some things age like fine wine.....

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
She seems to get better looking every year. I think she looks 10x better now than she did in Scarface. Damn, that David E. Kelly is one lucky SOB!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Wow,the widescreen regular edition is now currently the second best selling dvd at amazon.com only behind finding nemo.The giftset isnt doing bad either, at number 7.Impressive for a 20 year old movie, and a giftset that contains a movie over 70 years old, but classic.:emoji_thumbsup:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Wow,the widescreen regular edition is now currently the second best selling dvd at amazon.com only behind finding nemo.The giftset isnt doing bad either, at number 7.Impressive for a 20 year old movie, and a giftset that contains a movie over 70 years old, but classic.
Scarface will be a huge seller. Besides its following among general film enthusiasts and Brian De Palma fans, it has near-legendary status in the hip-hop community as the original "gangsta" film. Also, urban action-thrillers, such as Cradle 2 Grave, are always big sellers. Combine all of that with the fact that the first DVD, which was widely reviled for its quality, has been out of print for a few years, and you have pent-up demand for a much-wanted title.

I wouldn't be surprised if it tops 2 Fast 2 Furious, which will probably be No. 1, on next week's chart--something it would most certainly do if sales of the gift set, widescreen and full-screen releases were combined.

Britton

Screenwriter
I went to Circuit City and EVERYONE was picking Scarface up. Unfortunately they only had fullscreen there, but I had already picked up the box set from FYE.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Just got my copy at Walmart for $15.

Feel sorry for the fool who bought a used copy of the original release for $25 at my Coconuts three months ago.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
They were sold out of the gifset at my BB in two hours. Damn.....

I went ahead and picked up the two-discer. Probably saved myself a bundle that way.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I got to J and R at 1. They had sold out of the box set by noon. EVERYONE was getting Scarface. And lots of people were putting the extra money they had for the box set to get 2 Fast 2 Furious. That's what I did, since I figured I would enjoy 2 fast and Osbournes season 2 moreso that the 32 version. So I ogt the regular set for Scarface. Then I went upstairs to get the Fuel Cd at the CD store. Everyone was buying Scarface there too. It was crazy. Gonna watch it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks