What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Say Anything" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
It also has to do with the age at which people saw a film.
I'd agree with that as well. I was around nineteen when it was released, which is probably at least partially why it's been one of my all-time faves.

BTW, I just got to watch the first half hour during my lunch break. Great job on the anamorphic transfer, Fox! What a great way to kick off the week!

David Judah

Screenwriter
I don't buy as many DVD's as I used to, but this one is definitely a must buy for me and my wife.

Thanks Fox for delivering on a highly requested title and doing the DVD right.

DJ

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yes I highly anticipate this release. I only saw it for the first time in the autumn of 1998, right after a heart wrenching break up with my girlfriend of 6 years.

Under these circumstances, not exactly a good movie to watch. However, I do remember thinking that it was one of the finest films I had ever seen and the DVD will be joining my very small collection of discs.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It also has to do with the age at which people saw a film.
To a certain degree this is correct. However, I am 50 + and saw this movie for the first time when I was over 40. This movie appeals to anyone who remembers the painful experiences of high school dating, no matter how old they were when they first sas this movie.

Just a quick heads-up for Australian fans of Say Anything... - the region 4 DVD of the film (released in Australia at the end of March) contains none of the extra material that the US disc has, and also appears to use an old video transfer of the film. I've had a rant about the disc (and offered a clumsy summation of one of my all-time favourite movies!) here:
http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=1277
Methinks there might be a healthy export business for the US version of this disc... :)
- Anthony

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Watched this disc just a minute ago. Been ages since Ive seen the film, but time has been so great to this film. Its ageless. Now, I cant wait to watch it with the commentary.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched the stellar DVD of Say Anything... for the first time.
What a great film. Just excellent in every respect. Every character rings true perfectly. (Wouldn't EVERY single person alive like to have *true-blue* friends like Corey, D.C., and Diane? :))
This film must surely have been John Mahoney's biggest part ever, correct? And he's perfect, too.
Ione Skye is absolutely adorable. I think I'm in "deep infatuation". (She's 32 now.) :)
Upon researching Ione a little bit, I see where she was only 16 when she made this movie (per the dates on the 'clapboards' shown in the Deleted Scenes section). Film was shot in early to mid 1988, but not released until mid-April 1989. Must've been on the shelf for a while I guess.
(I realize that the "Photo Gallery" is considered a "throw-away" type of "Bonus" here [it's not even listed on the packaging as being there] -- But I was just curious if anyone knows why, out of 7 or 8 total photos displayed, all but one focuses exclusively on images of John Mahoney? Not a single pic of lovely Ione. :frowning: Oh,
well...) :)
Anybody who hasn't bought this DVD, I feel, like Ron and many others do, it's worth every penny. Good extra features too.
This "Special Edition" disc is http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD002452
45695.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks