What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Running Scared (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Director Wayne Kramer did a fantastic job of combining all the elements (cinematography, sound, editing, acting, special effects, etc) to create a very immersive experience. In an era where revenge flicks are fairly bankable (The Punisher, Kill Bill, Man on Fire, etc), I’m surprised Running Scared didn’t make more money._ _ Film Rating: :star::star::star::star:_ _ [b]

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Great Review. This is certainly the most intense and exhilerating cinematic experience so far this year. I daresay it's the second best of the year so far overall, just behind United 93. The level of filmmaking on display is pretty phenomenal. I love the apparent ease and agility with which the camera seems to move, and the economy and beauty of the shots is just great (I'm thinking of the bathroom stall scene and the opening shootout, among others). Everybody with a serious interest in film needs to see this at least once.

Regards,
Nathan

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Matt, Nathan, totally agree. Forget 16 Blocks or Lucky Number Slevin or Firewall, routine rubbish, this is the best thriller of the year so far, took me by surprise, highly recommended! :emoji_thumbsup:

BrandonJF

Second Unit
This was one of the biggest surprises on DVD for me. I've got hundreds of DVDs waiting on deck that I've yet to watch. This one got watched twice in the same week. That rarely happens.

Just unbelievable to me - easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.

And what a turning point for Walker... Who knew he had THAT in him? I never thought the day would come where I might have to label myself as a Paul Walker fan. :)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Saw this in the theater and loved it! It is such an absolute blast of adrenaline.

I am not, I repeat not, a fan of Walker. What works here is that the plot moves so fast that he is not given time to react, his character is constantly reacting, and that is what I think helped him.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm scheduled to receive this one tomorrow from Netflix. Can't wait!
From all the reviews I've read on this one, i'm really looking forward to checking this one out for myself.

Later!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised by how good this film turned out to be. I'm no Paul Walker fan, but I saw this based on a recommendation and absolutely loved it. The only thing I didn't care for too much was the ending, which I felt was sort of a copout. No big deal though.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Domino might be a good comparison, in terms of the crazy narrative, but the reasons most people hate Domino — Scott's bizarre, sick-making directing choices — don't apply to RS, which is over-the-top but never out of control. I thought it was fantastic, obviously not exactly deep, but thrilling, which was obviously the point (Kramer says so right away in the commentary).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I will rent this to give it a look but Ebert realy trashed this film calling it reprehensible.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Yeah, me too. Heck, don't they quote Ebert on the packaging?

Not that I haven't seen snippets taken from a negative review used to make it appear positive... but, Ebert was one of the handful of critics that liked it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I could've swron he panned it on the show, look forward to seeing it. I never minded Walker he's no more wooden than Keanu Reeves

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night. While I liked it more than THE COOLER, and it was a lot of fun, the storyline was a bit too over the top. Like Ebert wrote. That is sort of what makes it fun though, but it also makes you forget it soon afterword. The less you think about it the better.

Highly recommend a rental, but may not be worth buying.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Well, My netflix came in and watched it last night. wow what a flick!
Amazing shootout sequences to say the least! Excellent sound and pic !
It'll definately give your ht systems their due workout.
I thought Paul Walker's role was his best to date. I love these gritty , throw back to the 70's action thrillers. I was on edge the whole time.

If you watch you won't be disappointed,

Later,
T r o y H

BrentJ

Second Unit
I watched this twice in one weekend. First time I've did that with a movie in a long, long time.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

Me too! Funny that so many people watched it a second time in such a short spell. Very over the top, but excellent entertainment.

"I'm a piiiiimp..."

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Fantastic dvd and film - what a surprise!

As far as the "over the top," unrealistic nature of the film, I think the closing credits put it all in context.

Not for the squeamish, and this does go into some very dark places, but if you're up to it, you'll have a helluva ride!

Watched "The Cooler" a few days after "Running Scared." Another great flick. Can't wait to see what writer/director Wayne Kramer does next.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm glad to see most of you guys liked this one. Hopefully it will find a cult audience on DVD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The interesting thing about the "John Wayne" monologue, which upon first hearing simply seems Tarantino-esque...
...is that it deals with the effects of censoring something to keep people, like a young "Duke" Yugorsky, "safe" - to not disturb them...and yet, he turns out absurdly disturbed as an adult when he learns the reality of what was censored. Oleg, on the other hand, has seen and experienced pretty much the worst of the worst - and has learned from it. By film's end, he seems like he will make out ok. Like Grimm's Fairy Tales, "Running Scared" is a surreal journey into the dark depths of experience, in order to come out the other side - maybe no longer innocent or entirely intact, but aware of hopeful possibilities in a malevolent world.

And all of this, of course, done with tongue firmly planted in cheek - albeit a prickly tongue in a canker-sore filled cheek ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks