What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Rock Star" (1 Viewer)

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Yuck!! Saw this last night!

First off, I need someone to help me on this one. The sound was horrible. It was muddy and mixed really bad IMHO. Maybe it's my sound setup. The movie itself lacked feeling. Since it was supposed to be the Ripper (Priest) story; but they pulled the story away cuz they didn't like where the movie was going, which I completely understand.

What was killing me was I recognized one of singer's voice and had to wait till the credits to find out it was Jeff Scott Soto.

Mark doesn't look a Rock Star. Didn't really live up to the stereotype.

The coolest part of the movies was Zakk Wylde on stage.

Sound: 1/5

Movie: 2.5/5

Marky Mark song with outtakes (Credit section): 5/5

Good for a Rental. I think the retail is $20.

P.S. Where the heck were the Security Guards?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Theatrically the sound was fine
Though they had to stop the movie to install the anamorphic lens on the projector :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered the disc sight unseen as I'm a fan of hair metal (even if I don't like to admit it) and I'm hoping it's good (I have the same tastes as Jeff Kleist, so hopefully I will end up liking it). If not, I'm rewrapping the disc and giving it to my mom for her birthday (as she enjoyed the movie and is a big fan of Markie Mark). :)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm torn on whether to buy this one. I, for one, enjoy Jennifer Anniston...I think her comedy on Friends is great. However, according to Ron's and a number of other posters' comments, she seems to have no presence in this film.

Well, is her appearance and the ending credits (whatever the surprise is with Wahlberg, I don't know), worth the $11.99 Circuit City is charging? This is the lowest price I've ever seen on a new release - wonder if this reflects the studio's understanding of the quality of the movie?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't plan on buying this title - but now that I see it for $11.99 I will have to seriously think about it.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
I grew up in the 80's and liked (still like) this type of music...the movie WAS enjoyable, Mark did a good a job and the music (even the "Fake" STEEL DRAGON tunes) R-O-C-K.

I bought the soundtrack, and I'll buy the movie.

Grinch -no.

Rockstar -yes.

'nuff said.

~Rob

Randy D

Auditioning
I haven't seen the movie yet, but it can't be much more "far-fetched" than the real Tim Owens story. Tim, from Akron, Ohio, was playing Judas Priest covers with British Steel at Sherlock's in Erie, Pa. (my hometown) when a girl who was dating Judas Priest drummer Scott Travis videotaped the show and gave it to Travis. Based on the tape, they flew him to England to hear him sing in person and hired him immediately.

Anyway, I like a lot of 80's metal, so I will at least rent it. It would have been a definite buy if they had gotten Judas Priest involved and done a true Tim "Ripper" Owens story.

Randy D

HankM

Second Unit
Randy,

When I first came across the trailer for Rock Star the first thing I said to myself was this is just like the Ripper Owens story. I later read in EW that it wasn't about or related to the Owen's story. It's still pretty cool though.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
When I first came across the trailer for Rock Star the first thing I said to myself was this is just like the Ripper Owens story. I later read in EW that it wasn't about or related to the Owen's story. It's still pretty cool though.
I saw Wahlberg on several different interviews promoting the film and he always mentioned that it was based on Ripper Owens.

Jeff

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I later read in EW that it wasn't about or related to the Owen's story.
Legally, I'm sure WB wants you to believe that, but the movie IS based on Owens' tale. Geez, the film was originally titled "Metal God" after a Priest song! If it wasn't taken from that story, that'd be a hell of a coincidence, but there's no question of the tale's origins...

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Rock Star last night and found it to be entertaining but not great. I'll watch it again I'm sure. For $11.99 it is well worth it.

ColinW

Agent
I enjoyed Rock Star very much in the theatre. I thought it was a great movie, and very entertaining. I can se that lots of others have different opinions. I bought the disc and I am pleased with it. By far not my favourite DVD, but good to watch nonetheless.

Although I do agree with Ron's reviews for the most part, I guess we have a difference of opinion on this one.

I for one, would much rather watch this hair metal movie than the crap that is Moulin Rouge!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm concerned, Ron just saved me $20. I almost pre-ordered this thing, but listened to the little voice in the back of my head. I should listen to that little voice more often.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
I liked this one a lot. Maybe it was because I liked the Dirk Diggler character so much and this guy was a lot like him.

Best line:

"Why dont you write me a song about why the hell would I want to do that!"

Jeff

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was hilarious during the credit outakes at the end, they show the band getting ready to play a song and then it breaks into Marky Mark's "Good Vibrations" and all the band members start dancing! Wahlberg just kinda stands there and everybody gets a good laugh at his expense! Too funny!

Chad

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I saw this disc at Walmart and noticed something really strange: Each Rockstar disc came inside a really weird plastic box.

Is this something new that Warner Bros is doing with their discs? This is the first disc I've noticed that was packaged like this. Does the Rockstar disc come with anything that would warrant the new hard plastic packaging outside the normal snapper case? This was really weird.

Anyone know why?

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Walt are you talking about the security cases that most CD's, video games, and movies are in at B&M stores?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks