What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Resident Evil: Deluxe Edition (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Dolby Digital Track on Resident Evil is one the most aggressive tracks out there.

As far as the movie goes...well that's a whole other story. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The problem with the RE Game-to-Film adaptation is that the Game was partly a parody of zombie/haunted house films right down to the bad voice acting, the Film apparently did know or didn't care about this aspect to the game as it takes itself a bit too seriously most of the time, most but not all of the time, I agree that Rodriguez is a gem not only in the commentary but in the film as well.

I liked it for bit & pieces at a time but on the whole the film was...well...crap.

Let's see how Apocalypse turns out....like we don't know. ;)

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Superbit edition and if the audio has been changed on this new release, then the film is the poorer for it. The original release and the Superbit (plus the version here in Australia, which had DTS as a bonus audio track anyway) all sounded abso-fricking-lutely amazing. The bass and rear channel action in this film is stupendous. And i dont quite know which portion of the film would have unintelligable dialogue.... its all bloody loud folks!

:star: :star: :star:

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah I just watched it again and I still didn't notice any point in which the dialog dropped out. If you wanna be picky, there is a part near the end where Alice says to Rain, "I could kiss you bitch", and it is a little low because she is kinda wispering, but I highly doubt that is what is being referred to.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I was under the impression that it was a 2-disc set, but it's actually just 1 disc. (The featurettes run pretty long, so maybe the missing doc didn't have so much stuff that isn't in the other features.)

Colin, thanks for the link!

I listened to a little bit of the group commentary -- what a hoot!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
just one comment Event Horizon is actually based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe and not Disney's Black Hole

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification, Aaron. I thought I had read somewhere that this was a 2-disc set, but I guess I was mistaken.

My apologies. (And I officially retract the rolly-eyes, too! :) )

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay, this thread has been around since 09/08 and the question has been brought up a couple of times with no real clear answer. Is the Superbit edition the best looking and sounding out of all 3? Can someone please make this comparison! I really want to pick this one up especially with Halloween right around the corner. I try to watch as many horror flicks in October as I can and want to add this one to the list.

Also it sounds like the first edition and the new Deluxe Edition have the same audio and video transfer, is this true? Can someone verify this?

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
After splitting up with the ex and separating some DVDs, I took the opportunity to double-dip and pick this one up and let her have the older version (a used former Blockbuster disc).

For it's various flaws, it's an entertaining movie to me. Zombie movies are always a good thing.

Rolando

Screenwriter
sorry, not sure if this was answered but I was looking to see if anything wasn't ported over from the previous release. completist that I am might have to get them both!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks Colin,

I think I am going to go with the Superbit edition. The DTS soundtrack sounds worth it alone.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Columbia may take the piss with their myriad re-releases, but their video transfers have been spectacular lately, especially when you consider how much material they're cramming onto a single dual-layer disc. Case in point: RE Deluxe. The picture quality is awesome, with crisp detail, a minimum of edge halos and few compression artefacts. As for the sound, it's one of the most aggressive Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes I've ever heard. I rented the R2 version a year ago, and the DD5.1 mix on that disc didn't come close to this one. The dts version must be loud enough to literally wake the dead! But this one will do me just fine, and with a good selection of extras (and a free cinema ticket for those who can use it) this DVD is a class act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks