What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Reservoir Dogs" Tenth Anniversary Special Edition (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Decisions, decisions... I think I won't be touching my pre-order. And all the versions of this film I've seen had a slight green tint as well.
And Ron, for the love of God, please remove/change one of the screenshots in your review. You know which one I mean.

MatS

Screenwriter
maybe the 'strange green tinge' is to accomidate for the lack of a Mr. Green in the movie ;)
ps. yes no spoilers in the screen shots YIKES

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

No.

The original dvd has the correct aspect ratio of 2.35:1

I'm glad I kept the original dvd as I decided to pass on this one based on this review. The only drawback to the original dvd is it's not anamorphic but I'm quite happy with the tranfer. As far as the extras go, I buy dvds for the film represented and could give a hoot about the extras on most dvd's.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I went with the Mr. White edition. Harvey just made the movie. As for the "bad transfer" I will wait until the disc is in my player before I pass judgement on it...I've been waiting too long for an SE to not buy it.

Bruce

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think Mr. George's comparisons and comments
were right on.

This movie isn't unwatchable by any means.
Most people who don't know better will probably
never have a complaint.

I just found it immediately odd that the picture
looked dull and murky in certain exterior shots.

As for the green tinge, if it has indeed existed
in all the video transfers to date, couldn't it
have finally been removed?

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...odd, green-tinted transfer? Sounds like that pesky "Matrix" disc to me!

I'll be picking this up; those screen grabs look about right to me.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Well I don't know any better but I can see a big difference in the 2 shots. Is there any chance that the new version is how it is supposed to look?

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator
I am extremely excited about this one and will probably be picking it up with maybe Pulp Fiction also am I the only that thinks the menus rule

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about the framing of the new version, I think I actually prefer the tighter framing of the old disc, at least for the particular shots show in the AVS thread (particularly the brick wall). It would be nice to get a definitive answer on which version matches the framing of the threatrical release.
As for the color, I agree the new version looks a bit washed out, but then again that's not an unusual effect for cinematographers to intentionally use, so who knows. I definitely think the shots from the old version look over saturated, which is definitely not good.
I never did buy the original release because I was hoping for a later anamorphic release, so I still plan to buy the new version.

HankM

Second Unit
I'm gonna pick up the Live original release or I may order the R2 version which is a 16:9 transfer of the Live release distributed by Momento which is said to look great. The R2 release is Dolby Surround though, no 5.1 but hey, this film was originally released in Dolby Stereo.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Stuff it! I'm getting the original DVD too!
My usual supplier has it for less than half the price of the reissue.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Well I've been convinced to cancel my QT amazon order with this news. The announcement of Pulp Fiction being 15.99 at Best Buy helped too.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Has anybody contacted Artisan yet?
I have, but it always takes a while to hear back from Artisan.

I think the new DVD looks fine. It's interesting how everyone automatically assumes the new transfer is wrong when comparing it with the old one just because it doesn't look "nice." The film has always had that green tinge ("Most of the film takes place in an abandoned warehouse that's painted in the pukiest pale green imaginable," the San Francisco Examiner noted in its 1992 film review) and had that desaturated look in theaters. I can make the new DVD look like the old one pretty easily: Just hit the preset "vivid" picture setting on my TV, which boosts the contrast and brightness to nearly unwatchable levels.

As far as the framing, one hopes that the new DVD reflects the wishes of the filmmakers. We'll find out soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Randy,

Sad to say that the green tinge is not
most noticeable in the warehouse scenes.
It can be seen in the scenes inside Daddy
Joe's parlor.

If this transfer doesn't at least look as
nice as the original there is something
wrong. This isn't just a matter of tweaking
your set's controls for the best picture possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks