What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Red Dragon" Director's Edition (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I thought Red Dragon was an OK movie, but nothing compared to Manhunter. I won't be purchasing this one, but it sounds like one heck of a great disc and a real treat for fans of the film.

Great review, Ron, keep-em coming! :)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Cant wait to get the 2-disc set...but I would not call Red Dragon a remake...just another and more true version of the novel....there are direct scenes from Manhunter...mainly the scenes at the victims house...examining the scene....but I felt Red Dragon was more true to the book and a better film....Manhunter was a great film....but I really thought Ralph Fienes was a better Dolarhyde....and Hopkins a better Lecter....even though he's not the exact carnation from the book....the entire cast does such excellent work....sounds like a great set...cant wait...

If I may, it is in my opinion that RED DRAGON is the superior film to Manhunter. Let me rephrase. I have read all three books in the Hannibal Lector series and I have found that RED DRAGON was the most entertaining. I rented Manhunter a few years ago and while it seemed to be a "well-made" film, it wasn't a good movie. It was your typical "BASED ON A NOVEL BY Author X" type movie. Parallels could be drawn to something like the first Jurassic Park where major changes were made in order to tell a better story suited for the screen. IMHO, to be honest, I think Red Dragon might as well have said in the credits, "THIS IS AS CLOSE TO 'RED DRAGON' by Thomas Harris AS A MOVIE CAN COME". Brett Ratner and Ted Tally's RED DRAGON did what MANHUNTER did not. It created the true adaptation of Thomas Harris' original book. If these two movies were made in reverse (i.e. Red Dragon made in the 80s), MANHUNTER would not exist. This new version IS Thomas Harris' vision. I think most fans of the novels will agree with me.
Exactly...the novel is brilliant...cant tell ya how many times I've read it...just that its completely worn out...and Red Dragon IS the book on screen...IMO...

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review Ron.:D I've already decided to buy
it blind because I'm a big Edward Norton fan and Anthony
Hopkins IS Hannibal Lecter. I'll be buying the 2 disc set
(the more extras the better).

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
Manhunter is one of my favorite movies of the 80's, but it really hasn't aged well at all. it's very dated.... I really enjoyed Red Dragon, though...MUCH much better than Hannibal, which just seems silly.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I haven't seen "Red Dragon" yet, but the majority vote seems to be in favor of the movie. I wanted to see it anyway because I like Ralph Fiennes and Edward Norton as actors. And Anthony Hopkins is definitely Hannibal.:angry:

I liked "Manhunter", but it did seem a lot like C.S.I. Not that that is a bad thing.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Another great review Ron. However I, like many others, disagree with you on the actual film. I loved Red Dragon and felt it was one of the years best. I never really cared for Manhunter so I was very happy after I watched Red Dragon. I'll personally be picking up the 2 disc set. Fiennes and Watson stole the show in this film.

-Dean-

Declan

Second Unit
Personally i thought that Manhunter was a bit pretensious. But yea Tom Noonan was better as Francis in Manhunter although i liked the beginning and ending of red Dragon better than that of Manhunter, although Michael mann did alot more with his camera I just lost interest with manhunter about half way through and I was really dying to see it for ages.

I might be getting the Dir edition, although I think that the r2 release has a DTS track, so i'm a bit on the fence.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Would DTS be an improvement? Hard to say, but I
did notice the Dolby Digital soundtrack had many
of the wide-open uncompressed characteristics of
what I hear on a DTS soundtrack. Of course, this
opens up a can of worms as far as Dolby vs. DTS
debate goes, so forget I said it.
Oh no Ron, not letting you off that easy :) Maybe the blind man will see :)

Frankly after suffering through Manhunter, I found this a much better adaptation of Red Dragon. For one thing I can't get over faux-Lecter in Manhunter. I respect Michael Mann, but yeesh, Manhunter put me in the snooze box, except when I was woken up by the horrific score.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I first read Red Dragon back in the early 80's and have probably read it 3 or 4 times. It is one of my all time favorites by far. I had never realized there was a movie version and when I came across Manhunter I was estatic.
But boy, what a disappointment. This was an absolutely terrible movie. The casting was pitiful...the guy was bald fer crying out loud...they left out way too much and it seemed rushed and poorly done. Why on earth did they call it Manhunter? What's wrong with Red Dragon...it's perfect!The guy just did not fit my picture of Francis Dolarhyde, who I envisioned as an Arnold Schwartzneggar hulk of a man, not a poor postured , bald dude. If Arnold didn't have an accent and could act he would be perfect. I have not seen this version yet but await it with great anticipation.
I just don't see how anyone who read the book could have enjoyed Manhunter....sorry!
Great review though!

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Here's the abridged lowdown on the 2 editions being released:

Collector's Edition

The criminal profile of Hannibal Lecter - renowned profiler John Douglas' theories on how Hannibal Lecter and real serial killer are profiled

The life history of Hannibal Lecter from childhood to present day

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter

Commentary by director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally

Deleted scenes, DVD-ROM features and much more!

2-Disc Director's Edition

Disc 1

The criminal profile of Hannibal Lecter - renowned profiler John Douglas' theories
on how Hannibal Lecter and real serial killer are profiled

The life history of Hannibal Lecter from childhood to present day

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter

Commentary by director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally

Deleted scenes, DVD-ROM features and much more!

Disc 2

Director Brett Ratner's video diary - A rare look at the film production

Brett Ratner's untitled student film - His first film from NYU Film School

Screen and film tests

The dragon tattoo

Storyboard to final feature comparisons

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
has anyone heard the menus??????

5.1 LOUD....LOUD. Sounds great.

but makes the actual movie sound not as great.
conversely, as if it's an argument that DTS wasn't needed.

transfer is indeed amazing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i heard the menus...sheesh.

i just got done watching far from heaven, which was low so i had the voluume up a little more then normal.

then i popped in the red dragon disk and wow it was very loud. i had to run in the room to turn the sound down. i honostly was afraid i damaged my klipshses.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...went to Wally World...no 2-Disc....went to Target...No 2-Disc...went to K-Mart...no 2-Disc...waited 2 hours at a Books A Million for Circuit City to open and get my 2-Disc...they only had one...and I was the one to get it! WOOHOO!!

This is a hell of a set...watched all the video extras and they are excellent...gonna watch the commentaries tomorrow...the film looks and sounds amazing...but those menus...sheesh...those are the loudest things Ive ever heard...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Got the only copy of the 2-Disc Director's Edition at Circuit City today. Target only had (several copies of) the 1 disc Collector's Edition in both full & widescreen and Circuit City had literally about 1 hundred copies of the single-disc edition (both formats) in the front with a store display with the lone copy of the 2-disc set buried in the thriller/suspense section under "R". I was told by the clerk that it was the only one the store recieved. It looks like Universal was banking on the "Director's Edition" being a higher-priced product for die-hard fans, instead it's become the one most people apparantly want. Good luck to everyone who goes looking for it.

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to put in a vote for the 1-disc version.

Why in the world would I intentionally get the 1-disc instead of the 2-disc? Well, at my Best Buy, it's $14.99 for the CE and $27.99 for the DE.

For a couple supplemental materials that I probably would never watch I didn't feel it was worth the extra $13. That's almost 2x the price for the same movie.

It's too bad, if it was $14 vs. $19, there would have been no doubt, 2-disc. However, $27.99 is a little ridiculous.

-Jack

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I don't intend to buy, but stopped at Hollywood Video to rent on my way homw from work. ALL PAN/SCAM! Grrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks