DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Prime

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve Tannehill, Mar 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    XenForo Template  Prime Studio: Universal Studios Home Video Year: 2005 (2006 Release) Rated: PG-13 (Sexual Content, incl. dialogue, Language) Aspect Ratio: 1.85x1, enhanced for 16x9 displays Audio: English, French DD 5.1 Captions/Subtitles: English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles Time: 1:45:29 Disc Format: SS/DL (DVD-9) Layer Switch: Case Style: Keep Case The Feature: Prime has a very simple setup: Rafi (Uma Thurman) is a 37-year-old fashion photography producer on the rebound from a divorce. She sees a therapist, Lisa (Meryl Streep), to help her through the rough spots. Rafi meets a 23-year-old painter, David (Bryan Greenberg), and agrees to go out on a date. At first, the age difference is a huge concern, but Rafi consults her therapist, who tells her it is alright to live a little. With two people at their primes, it is alright to have a little fun. Then Streep learns that the young man is her son. Oops. If you saw the trailer for Prime, you pretty much saw a summary of the entire movie (pity, the trailer is not included on the DVD, but I am getting ahead of myself). Rafi, who is very open about her sexual feelings with her therapist, goes into all the nitty gritty down and dirty with Lisa, who grits her teeth and tries to keep from exploding. Lisa justifies this clear conflict of interest by seeing her therapist, who says that if this is just a short fling, it is in the patient's best interest to continue therapy without letting on. Yeah, right. The awkwardness does make for some hilarity, however. We are then taken down a familiar path... when will Rafi and David find out? Is Rafi too old for David? Will one, the other, or both take off their shirt? How will Rafi or David mess things up? And so on. Actually, I laughed out-loud a number of times during Prime. With lesser stars, it would be a Lifetime Movie of the Week. With Thurman and Streep, it is not quite a master class in screen comedy, but it is very funny. Bryan Greenberg, whose fictionalized character in HBO's Unscripted won this role and went to New York, is also pretty good as the young painter whose creativity brings the older divorcee (quickly) out of her shell. Prime is a light movie for the right mood. The Feature: 3.5 / 5     Video: With a natural-lighting look, there is nothing showy about the picture quality, but there are no distractions. This 1.85x1, 16x9-enhanced presentation is not high definition, but the only way you will get more detail (such as in New York street signs) is with high def. Colors are accurate, though not flashy. This is New York City, but it is indoors much of the time. A little trip to the Hamptons greens things up a bit. Video: 4 / 5     Sound: Prime is primarily dialogue with the occasional musical interlude. There was some front-channel separation on the music, but there are few if any surround effects. The bit where Streep takes the uzi to Thurman is flashy (does anyone read this? :-) ) but other than that, I am hard-pressed to find examples of this being demonstration quality. Still, the 5.1 track, which is available in both English and French, did not distract, so it scores little more than average marks. Sound: 3.5 / 5     Extras: Prime includes a handful of features:
  2. Deleted Scenes (8:29) in 4x3 widescreen that were probably best left on the cutting room floor. Unlike other discs with director involvement, there was no commentary as to the reason the scenes were cut.
  3. Outtakes (3:45) in 4x3 widescreen, with minor ad-libs and flubs.
  4. Prime Time Players (8:43) in 4x3, the obligatory making-of featurette, with a focus on the director and the stars.
  5. Feature-length commentary, with Director Ben Younger and Producer Jennifer Todd, of Team Todd - what I heard of it was anecdotal and entertaining. The disc also includes skippable trailers to Pride & Prejudice, Windfall, Just Like Heaven with the Oscar-winning Reese Witherspoon, and Something New. Extras: 4 / 5 In Conclusion: Prime is an entertaining trifle. I enjoyed it, and would not hesitate to recommend it as a rental. If you are a fan of Streep or Thurman, that might push me into purchase territory, if the price was right. Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5     Release Date: March 7, 2006
    Display calibrated by Steve Martin at http://www.lionav.com/
  7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It is with mixed feelings that I must tell everyone that I am stepping down as the Universal reviewer at Home Theater Forum. A new Universal reviewer will be joining you shortly.

I have decided to focus my efforts on personal life and work, and leave the reviews to those dedicated folks who can spare their own valuable time to turn out some of the best reviews on the net. You guys are the best.

I want to thank Ron and Parker and the admin team for keeping this great forum running!

In particular, I want to thank everyone for their comments and support over these past few months.

I'll be around, so I am not gone. Have fun!

- Steve

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Thanks Steve. I'd review but too busy as well.