What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Poseidon - Two Disc Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I expect Best Buy, Circuit City, and/or Target will have some kind of exclusive disc. Until that info is available I'm not sure who I'll get it from. Also, I believe I read some where that one of those retailers will be having a lenticular cover.

Disc 2 does look disappointing to say the least...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Will rent this one for sure, as I know it will be good for one eyes-rolling, snide-comment-spewing, crank-that-soundtrack-UP viewing, at least.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
What a waste of a 2-disc edition!
This practice is becoming more and more prevalent from Warners recently. Witness a similarly lacklustre 2-disc edition of 'V for Vendetta'. It's barely worth pressing the damn things!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think 2-DVD sets sound more impressive, so people buy them - they sound "deluxe". With this and Vendetta, WB sure are giving us some Really Not Very Special Editions, though...

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Herb,
After viewing so much HD DVD content lately, I was underwhelmed by the video on this disc...granted, for DVD is was pretty good, but knowing the title will be out in 4 short months on HD DVD I considered my first viewing a warm-up for what will surely be an extemely impressive HD DVD release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw this movie in theatres.. it was not a good movie to say the least.. the director's perfect storm was even better then this. or troy for that matter.

Jacob

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed Poseidon tremendously. It was a blast from beginning to end. I'll be picking this one, and the eventual HD version too.

Peterson and everyone involved did a great job.:emoji_thumbsup:

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Dave... I'd agree that if we were to compare it to an HD presentation, we might very well be underwhelmed. However, for an SD presentation I thought everything looked pretty good and the audio presentation was absolutely superb. I think we must be careful to not let HD get in the way of SD reviews. As good as HD DVD has been, I am constantly reminded how good SD can be when done right.

James@R

Second Unit

I also thought it was fun. Maybe it's because everyone else was expecting an epic, Titanic-style film or either "A Film By Wolfgang Peterson"?

I just went in expecting a great B movie, which is all I really ever considered the first film. After all, this is Snake Plissken in an upside-down boat!

SteveJKo

Second Unit
This was the closest I've ever come to walking out of a theatre, and an Imax one at that! The friends I was with insisted it could only get better as it went along. They ended up wishing we had walked out in time to be reimbursed.

On the technical side I would think this film would show off a home theatre sound system very well. Though in Imax I found it more assaultive than immersive.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The special features (or lack of 'em) were a let down to say the least. Warner could have easily put everything onto 1 disc instead of releasing the pricier 2 disc set.

Tsk tsk.

Watched the DVD tonight and actually really enjoyed this. I guess I don't see what was so wrong with it, and I am by no means a Peterson fan. It was a little over the top in some places, but for popcorn fare, it was good. I also thoroughly enjoyed the stunts and effects.

Count me in the minority here.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
2nd disc with not even an hour of features?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'll probably NETFLIX this one.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I watched this one last night and while I thought the movie was a good popcorn flick, based on the review in this thread I thought the sound track would be "aggressive", but it wasn't. The surrounds were lacking and the movie was mostly front heavy in sound. The LFE was OK, but nothing to brag about. Now before everyone says it must be my system, my system is AVIA calibrated and consist of the following audio gear

Monitor Audio Sliver "S" speakers
Hsu VTF-3 MK2 sub with turbo
Sherwood P965 pre amp
Rotel RMB-1095(200x5) amp
Rotel RB-1050 (70x2) amp
Outlaw ICBM

Anyone else think the review of the audio didn't match what they heard?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I disagree--I thought THE PERFECT STORM was the cinematic equivalent of nails on a chalkboard; now I'm not foolish enough not to realize that many legitimate complaints can be made about POSEIDON, but the crucial difference between the two films is TPS thought it was actually meaningful and powerful storytelling, when POSEIDON had no such pretensions; for my money, that makes all the difference.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Travis. The Perfect Storm was unintentionally laughable at times and I don't think it really delivered on any level. Poseidon isn't high art by any means but it does what it needs to. Instead of tacking on and exploring pointless side stories it pretty much bypasses them (though there are some very mild ones but very little screen time is dedicated to them.) It's kind of refreshing to have a lean movie like this when movies just seem to be getting longer and longer.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Wow, just watched this today (rental) & liked it. I guess I can skip renting disc 2. Sounds like all the extras should have fit on one disc.

Is this one any more preposterous than the original? Weren't some of the lights that came on emergency lights that would do just that? And wouldn't it make sense to stash flashlights in various areas? (I don't know if they do, but it doesn't sound preposterous.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks