What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Pirates of the Caribbean (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
because it has Alan Sylvestri credited as the soundtrack composer.
so is he the reason why many trailers aren't in DVDs? (apart from the obvious rights isuues for pop songs problems) what other flicks has he done with this outcome?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the reminder, Bob. I actually do own that CA DVD.

And since I have no other info to go by, I'll have to use your supposition as the actual reason the trailers weren't included. Oh well.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
There's a theatrical trailer for the film on disc 1 of "Alias Season 2", so I don't see any logical reason why they couldn't have included it on the PotC DVD as well. Reminds me of Dreamworks' Catch me if you can DVD. No trailer there either, but there was one on "The Ring".

Chris

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Christian,

Good call on the trailer on Alias.

Wanted to let everyone know I've added my Disc 2 review. Nothing earth-shattering (in terms of literary prose) but I'd promised I'd mention it when posted.

dave :)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Anyone think that that this disc has a black level problem? I'm just not seeing much detail in the darker scenes. Some of the darker scenes seem to have a greenish tint to them. This may be intentional, but I saw this in the theater and don't remember it there. Of course, that (four month old memory) is no great yardstick.

As far EE goes, it's there and it's not good, but I forgot about it last night when I watched the last hour of the movie. So that's good.

-Reagan

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just wanted to chime in. I havent gotten the dvd yet.. I was told not to buy it so i wouldnt have 2 copies after Christmas.. (gee... i wonder if I am getting it as a gift?:D ) But anyway, I don't think it was too long at all. In fact, I wished it hadnt ended so soon.. thats just me though :)

TedT

Second Unit
Saw this last week and I got to give the filmmakers BIG THUMBS UP for not having a hip hop or death metal soundtrack! For once in recent history, the soundtrack actually matched what you would expect the soundtrack to sound like for a movie of this type!

I mean, I love the Matrix films, Daredevil, The Hulk, and even Dracula 2000! But adding a techno, hip hop, disco, or heavy metal (which I love) soundtrack to movies of this type just date the movie and don't really add anything to it.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Thank you for the review! I hadn't seen this in the theater, and picked it up as an impulse buy after reading your review. I have to say, I love it!

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I got to give the filmmakers BIG THUMBS UP for not having a hip hop or death metal soundtrack! For once in recent history, the soundtrack actually matched what you would expect the soundtrack to sound like for a movie of this type!
And if you close your eyes, you'll swear you're watching Gladiator or The Rock.

Dan

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Huh? What bug is this? I have a Z1 and never heard of it.
It's an issue when using an HTPC and custom video output timings to get one-to-one pixel mapping. The Z1 has to be told to relock onto the signal after every use (well, not everytime...sometimes it works).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Just watched this on a rental.I agree with the "naysayers" on this.This is not "reference" or even close presentation even on my 36" TV.I was also dissapointed with the sound a bit.[DTS]Mostly with the dialog inteligibility.The ADR of Orlando Bloom's were especially troublesome on some scenes.Also there were no "balance",as if the track was mixed carelessly regarding effects and dialog.Music seemed OK.
I did see this in the theater,but after few month no one can really remember exactly how this film looked.[The human brain has about a few seconds at best at visual memmory,aural too]Not too mention the less then stellar movie theaters that populates the US.I would hardly base any reference on that.I'm glad I didn't buy this.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Aside from some minor edge enhancment and HF filtering...the image on the DVD is surprisingly close to the theatrical prints. They were grainy, murky, with often washed-out colors and a strange over-exposed look to many of them. In other words, most of the "problems" with the DVD image are inherenet in the film-source (remastering wouldn't fix them). In fact, most of the "problems" with the picture are likely artistic elements intended to be there by the film's creators. I can't speak to the sound of the theatrical...that can vary so much from theater from theater. The sound on the DVD sounds good to me personally though I wouldn't call it "reference" either.

However, that's not to say that I wouldn't have prefered a tad more detail and a little less EE :D

I doubt we'll see a new reissue anytime soon.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Finally saw this and thought I'd revive this thread however briefly...I'm projecting onto a screen roughly eight feet wide and I didn't think the EE was bad at all. It was definitely there, and noticable in some scenes, but about average for films with EE. NOTHING like Gangs of New York, which still remains the worst big budget transfer I've ever seen. I did think that some of the scenes set at night had a kind of washed out look to them, with black levels not being all that great, but then again I'm projecting with a Z1 LCD so blacks often aren't all that great (though I've definitely seen much better, or worse for that matter).
I thought the DTS track was okay and didn't listen to the DD (didn't realize there was some controversy about that as well until I read back over this thread.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks