What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Pirates of the Caribbean (Highly Recommended) (2 Viewers)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Thanks, David.

I loved this movie in the theater and it's good to know that it didn't fail the edge enhancement test.

-Reagan

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Picked up 2 copies today. Have a neighborhood movie night set for this Friday. PotC is my #1 movie of this year.

Thanks for the review :emoji_thumbsup:

Peace Out~:D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought this was a pretty good movie but I dont think I would want to see it again. I wasnt as thrilled or didnt have as much fun as say I did with Kill Bill.
I did Like Johnny Depp.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, although a December 2002 release, is by far the 2003 winner, taking in nearly 900 million dollars worldwide at the box office.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
As usual, you rule DAVID!! I can't wait for this DVD, because I missed it in theaters! Great picture quality section. Once again, you raise the bar. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Keira/Jack commentary is worth the price of the DVD alone, even though I'm not even halfway through it. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, although a December 2002 release, is by far the 2003 winner, taking in nearly 900 million dollars worldwide at the box office.
Jeez okay, I should have made clear I was talking about movies opening in 2003.
And it's mighty probable that Return of the King will be the number one 2003 opener when all the grosses are in. Or will it be counted as a 2004 winner?;)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I did a double take when Steve said she was 17 at the time of filming. My god she looked great though. :)

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
(I should fess up and tell you that rigth after screening POTC on the Sony we popped in the D-VHS (1080 HD) tape of Moulin Rouge...which made it very difficult to "go back" and feel enthusiastic about standard-definition DVD...
David, don't mean to get off topic, but how F'ing amazing is Moulin Rouge on DVHS!!! Wish I had a projector for this one.

Chris

Andy_MT

Second Unit
just read Bjoerns PQ Review of this dvd. to sum it up, it's a bit worse than gangs of new york - the worst, vile piece of crap, sorry excuse for a dvd transfer i've ever seen from a major studio for a new release. i'll wait till the weekend to watch this dvd, but if it's as bad as gangs of new york, i want answers. what's wrong with disney these days ? why are reviewers praising it ? etc ...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
why are reviewers praising it
um because there's nothing wrong with the PQ? This reviewer gave it 4.75 out of 5, which is pretty good in my book. Either you're making a big deal out of one bad review or your equipment needs tweaking. I watched Pirates a couple of days ago, picture looked great on my 32 incher, so did Gangs of New York come to think of it...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched it last night on my 80" screen and yes, there is some EE in some bright scenes, other than that it looks exactly like it did the 2 times I saw it theatrically.

As for the DTS and DD tracks, I played both and found the DD tracks blow DTS out of the water. The DD track has nice crispy, detailed highs where the DTS track is much flatter. DD's bass is tight and hits hard and clean where the DTS track is weak and boomy. Something I did not expect.

Peace Out~:D

Hi all:
EE on this disk is pretty severe in some places, I am not sure I would have given it as high a rating as Dave did (and I was sitting beside him for the projector viewing since it was at my house).
But, to be fair, I really only noticed it on those bright, sky-backlit shots. On those the EE is pretty terrible.
Dont quite understand why it was necessary.

On the darker shots the film looked quite good, and very smooth, but we didn't freeze frame to look closely for EE artifacts.
I agree completely with Dave and various posters that the color and color contrast looked very like the way it did in the theater: the overall color is biased toward a whiteish, not deeply saturated palette. Occasional shots are saturated, and this is clearly the cinematographer's choice.

I thought the EE rather worse than the case on Chicago, where it was quite minimal to my eyes.

Christopher a:
Maybe we should start a thread on Moulin and X2 on DVHS.
Both are salivatingly beautiful. Moulin is far and away better on DVHS than on the DVD. (Can't say on X2, since I've only seen the DVHS). As Dave says in his review, it is hard to go back to dvds once you see how good films like these look and sound (!) in HD (even the impaired HD we currently have).
Moulin on DVHS is a blow-guests-away-demo-class experience.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks