DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Peyton Place" (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_Reiter, Feb 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

[​IMG]

Peyton Place

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

awesome Adam.
    i'm so glad to hear the PQ on this one is good.
    i just love 50's Americana, especially when it's laced with liberal amounts of degenerate sex [​IMG].
    i'm looking forward to the 3rd.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

yeah thanks for a great review. I was always going to pick this up as it is part of FSC.

I have most of them so another great find

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

That's because it didn't come from a mono track!

"Peyton Place" was originally released in the standard Fox CinemaScope 35mm 4 channel discrete mag format.

Ted

5. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Ahhh, well, that would definitely be the reason then. Thanks for that great tidbit of info, Ted! [​IMG]

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This film has long been a favorite of mine. I own the LD & will soon own the DVD.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Adam- no offense but you must get some background about fifties scope stereo films and how they were done.
    One - the film was always stereo.
    Two - "dialog was weaker because it was not centered and dirifted left to right"
    Yikes!! its supposed to be that way and folows the people wherever they are on screen. Fox scope films were recorded with THREE hanging mikes to capture stereo dialog.
    The dvd is correct.

8. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Finally it arrives on DVD. I always thought this was one of the 20 best films to come out of the 50's !!!!
    It should have won some major awards, especially BEST PICTURE.
    Did they restore it to its original length ?
    They should have included the TV series pilot, with Dorothy
    Malone, Mia Farrow, and Ryan O'Neal. This was a first for
    night time drama, a continuing soap at night. And any plans
    for "RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE" ??
    EXCELLENT REVIEW ADAM !!!!!!!!

9. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I've seen this movie on AMC many times, but I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. The number of ads plus pan and scan just made it too painful. Maybe I'll finally be able to see the whole film, which would be nice considering it was filmed only a few miles from where I live.

10. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

I'm really happy that you ended up enjoying this one and I enjoyed reading your review. No offense, but if you don't have a good knowledge base or appreciation of "old movies" because you have never been drawn to them, maybe you should review movie genres you have had a greater association with. Sort of like a rock and roll music critic reviewing a Sarah Brightman concert. But I support you broadening your horizons, so please I only mean this in a most polite, respectful and constructive way. Really happy this was a nice surprise for you. I've been looking forward to this one for some time. Thanks for the review, Adam.

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    No offense intended... but as I was reading this review, I kept thinking: Wow, this guy should NOT be reviewing classic films. Adam, your writing style is enthusiastic (to say the least), and it certainly has its place... but I think classic cinema merits a more stately and professional approach. It's unfortunate that the reviewing duties are split up based on studio rather than genre... Is it possible to restructure the review staff to better match the reviewer with the discs being reviewed? "I would never really sit down to watch an old movie, or rent an old movie on my own. I never have and I probably never will." Huh??? There are tons of us here who are passionate about "old" movies, and would love the opportunity to review them!

Again, no offense intended... by me or anyone else here. It's all constructive, honest! [​IMG]

12. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Well, I think you guys may be reading into this review at little more than it was intended. I am trying to convey that, I would probably not seek out a Classic film over a newer film that I wanted to see. But I am trying to get across the point, of my gaining appreciation for older classic films. Perhaps I worded my review a little too strongly in that regard. I am also trying to write in a loose, more laid back style.

Keep in mind, the main reason were are here is to give you the transfer to DVD. I am just trying to get down a different sytle than the other reviewers. I don't really like to go in depth about the movie itself. You movie is allready been out. You all have seen it. You know if you like it or not. I just try to give a few snippets of my opinion, and then focus on the DVD transfer aspect. That is why I take so much time out to do all of those screen shots.

I don't see why I have to have a certain appreciation of a genre to review it. Afterall, I feel as though I am reviewing the DVD package as a whole.... I am NOT a reviewing the movie itself. I think some of you sometimes forget that.

13. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Well Adam, I, for one, thought your review was excellent and answered all the questions I would have before buying it.

And thanks to Joe Caps for his post clarifying the technical approach to 'Scope movies of the era. It was an interesting time as the movies tried all sorts of things to draw people in. The first 'Scope movie I remember seeing at the time was Night People and it knocked me out. I couldn't believe a screen could be so wide.

OK, I've got to order this one.

Deane

14. Brian W

Adam-

I understand what you are saying, even agree somewhat. However, a basic understanding and appreciation of classic films and film history, Cinemascope, Technicolor, and sound techniques of the time period of the film you are reviewing I think would be necessary to understand the original look of the film when reviewing it's DVD presentation. You threw one person when you didn't understand the accuracy of the sound presentation, me also when you question if it was always shown in color. Perhaps I misunderstood your statement here, but it seemed to me that you were questioning if this was a colorized black and white film or something.

This bothered me too, I hope it looks Technicolorish, it is a 50's Technicolor film. You say this as if it is a bad thing.

I am really happy that you are gaining an appreciation of classic films, your review really captures that. I encourage you - continue to tread these waters.

15. Brian W

I stand corrected (before anyone else corrects me) the color was DeLuxe, not Technicolor.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

As many of you know, I'm a real big fan of classic film, but I think you guys need to cut Adam some slack here. He has already acknowledged that he should have worded some of his review comments differently, that being said, I think Adam will take your comments to heart in his next classic film review which might be "The Grapes of Wrath" in April.

I'm very happy the dvd presentation is top-notch and I can't wait to view my copy this weekend.

Crawdaddy

17. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

It makes me happy when someone like Adam gains appreciation of older movies. After all, when a movie is filmed, what it contains is not new anymore, but a historical record of the time it was made. Movies are an almost endless well of how things used to be, whether it was yesterday or yesteryear. Discovering what is in old movies makes them new to me. Good work Adam! [​IMG]

18. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

The transfer could be better. This movie was beautifully photographed and the picture should be vibrant and rich with color at all times. But there are some scenes that have a dim look to them which I have seen before on some other DVD's like the first 4 "Vault Disney" titles. The opening credits are an example. But most of the time, it does look pretty good but a notch below wonderful. The sound is erratic also. At times, it sounds great but there are stretches of time where it crackles and pops and gets fuzzy and the dialog placement hops all over the place instead of being exactly directional.

19. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Stunt Coordinator

I recently saw this movie for the first time besides really liking it t also asnwered that lingering question

This was one of the few references from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start The Fire" I didn't know [​IMG]

20. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Well, I think the transfer looks great. However
    I guess it depends on the monitor you are watching
    it on. My set "PEYTON PLACE", never looked better.
    Of course, I have wanted this film on DVD, since,
    the format arrived, I just want to know what took
    so LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!
    Also, they should have included the PILOT FOR THE
    TV SERIES, which stuck closer to the film it had
    the Cross family in it, and Matthew Swain, was still
    the Dr. and Mr. Rossi was still the principal. In the
    series Rossi, became a Dr. and Swain became, the newspaper,
    editor. And Constance, was a dress shoppe owner and not
    a book store owner. It followed the film. The series
    bore little resemblance to the film other than a few major
    characters. The pilot, however followed the film.
    There is a great website, devoted to both the series and
    the film.