What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Peter Pan (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Sean Scott

Auditioning
I didnt like the rant on the Disney version! I will blindly buy this DVD on tuesday even thought I despise the cover and I'm not too happy with the forced trailers that have been made part of Universal DVDs lately!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ebert & Roeper highlighted this on their show yesterday (here).
Ebert was particularly complimentary relating how he had already seen enough Peter Pans to last him a lifetime and how he wasn't particularly looking forward to this one, but found it very engaging, and lamenting how it got lost in the shuffle last winter.

i'm stoked to pick this up tomorrow- from the trailers i got the impression that we finally had another film employing the same sense of blatant, unapologetic theatricality that Moulin Rouge used, however (i'm hoping) in the service of a story whose themes have a little more sincerity & weight and a little less 'isn't that clever' cynacism.

oh yeah- i was going to go see this at the theater, but someone told me they were showing forced trailers there as well?!
and you can't fast forward thru them!
after hearing that, i refused naturally. ;)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

Actually, style wise, Peter Pan has almost nothing in common with Moulin Rouge, except that there is a lot of vibrant color and the fact that a lot of the effects were designed to look like storybook illustrations come to life.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i should wait to see it before commenting further, but the scenes that spurred that comment were the shots of the group flying above London, on the way to neverland, and the shots of the ship sailing in front of the moon.
the backgrounds look almost like extravagant stage backdrops- illustrative, blatant artifice as opposed to CGI being used to try to seamlessly recreate reality.

from what i remember of MR, it seemed like Baz employed some similarly baroque illustrative background plates to give off that heightened, theatrical feeling.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just saw this movie tonight for the first time. I don’t understand why people say that it’s a wonderful family film! No, it’s simply a wonderful film. I loved every bit of it. And it’s a good-good movie not Chris-Columbus-Harry-Potter-weak-movie-good-only-for-the-children-under-10 movie.

Spielberg would have made this if he was at a younger age (around E.T. or Close Encounters). I particularly liked the look and feel of the film. Spielberg said that he didn’t want Hook to look like it was shot on real jungles and used sets to have a magical feeling. Well the sets in Hook were a terrible disappointment. However in Peter Pan they got the look right. The sets are a perfect balance between the fantasy and the real. They don’t look like sets the way they did in Hook. It has a scope! :emoji_thumbsup:

I also loved the story! The first time I see the original story on the screen. I recall a controversy about this movie but because I didn’t want to spoil myself I didn’t follow it. If I remember correctly it was about the romance? Well I don’t get it, that’s the number 1 strong element of the movie. Without it, there is no movie.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

The controversy was from hyper-conservative parents who didn't know that Peter Pan was about adolescense and "growing up" in more than just the sentimental sense. Now they know better.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I loved this movie. I'll be picking it up. Money has been flying out of my wallet lately :)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

Well, stop sprinkling pixie dust in there!:D

My wife and I both really enjoyed this in the theater, and I will be picking it up today. Jason Isaacs is one of the best "bad guys" around, and was the big reason that I really wanted to see this originally. He can just seethe evil through his teeth at times.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
See, your enthusiasm for the film would be better conveyed if you didn't have to rely on propping up one film at the expense of another...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
went to pick this up today and was disappointed to see Target was doing everything it could to discourage purchase of the Widescreen version, by pricing it $2 more than the full frame version.
Jackasses.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
saw the same thing Paul when i was at target earlier today, thought it was totally lame of how they priced it....

will pick it up one of these's days, thanks for the review....

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Actually, I purchased my copy at Target and it was $17.99, just like the hack 'n scan version. It's possible the tag thing was lost or never put up. You should check the scanner thing, but I'm pretty sure it'll come up as $17.99.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
"I do believe in fairy. I do, I do!"

I do love this movie. I do, I do. Anyway the production designer of this movie and Moulin Rouge! is the same person.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I like movies with so called offensive poltically incorrect content. Poltical correctness pisses me off big time.

South Park forever.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Amazing is about the one word I could find that best describes this film. Watched it last night with the family and all of us were floored at how good it was. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in quite awhile.

The acting by all is very good. Jason Isaacs did a wonderful job as Hook, best Hook yet. Jeremy as Peter, also did a great job as did Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy. Both Peter and Wendy stole this movie and made it very real.

The make-believe fantasy world has been created wonderfully. The mood is darker then the previous Pans and the emotion is stronger with a few laughs thrown in.

The movies score is wonderful as well, a must buy CD for soundtrack fans.

A 9/10 from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks