What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Ong-Bak - The Thai Warrior (1 Viewer)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

As is more of the Muay Thai boxing style I believe.

Anyway, it seems that everyone is getting screwed for the most part so I guess I'll pick up the R1 version. I really liked this flick and a super good pq is not at the top of the list when it comes to movies like these (at least for me). I'm sure I already have plenty of martial arts movies that look worse than this.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
FYI the audio level is lower on this disc too (compared to other titles). I had to crank the volume knob a little higher to get the same effect I'm used to.

Mike

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Canadian release of this last night from Alliance, and the only english subtitles on it appear to be of the "For the deaf and hard of hearing" variety. This means we get [All Screaming], [Speaking Thai], [Man Speaking Thai], [Speaking English], [Techno Music], etc along with the dialog... and it gets rather annoying.

Since both this and the DVDFile review make no mention of it, I assume it's not in the US Fox release.

Anyway, I turned the movie off without finishing it. Some of the stunts are very impressive, but it's so overly staged that it really detracts from them, and the continuous instant replay of the stunts was really bad.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I have to disagree with the original DVD reviewer on this particular title (no offense of course). I watched the Fox Region 1 release last night on my 127" 16:9 projection screen and I thought the transfer looked quite stunning. Aside from some very obvious edge enhancement (that can only be seen in a few scenes) the level of detail was far above what I expected it to be.

It's not at all blurry. The transfer remains quite sharp. There is a little bit of dust/dirt, but nothing too severe that it distracts the viewer.

Of course, everyone will have different results depending on what kind of display they have and the problems associated with that particular display and/or equipment that adds things that shouldn't be there (ie extra edge-enhancement) but I just wanted to tell everyone, that on my particular setup, this DVD looked quite good!

Graeme,

I watched the US Fox release and it has the same exact subtitles that you mentioned with [All Screaming], [Speaking Thai], [Man Speaking Thai], [Speaking English], [Techno Music], etc along with the dialog... So it's definitely not a Canadian-only thing.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I watched this DVD last night too. I am disappointed that we don't have the uncut version or some of the extras included in the HK DVD. Yes, the edits in the fight scenes can be quite annnoying.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
The movie itself, I found to be very underwhelming. Jaa's athleticism wasn't enough to deter me from the bad acting, dialogue, and tired, rehashed plot. The actual transfer seemed way, way too dark.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You know I could not disagree more with the reviewer.

First, There was a ton of LFE in the movie.

Secondly, there was a stunt double used. Just go to the gas station fight and it's pretty obvious to see.

It was a good rental.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I loved the movie! I agree that the story is as simple as you can get, but the movie was so refreshing to see someone flip, spin, hop around without the use of a harness (or CGI) as is standard nowadays. Tony Jaa appears to be a world class gymnast in addition to his martial arts skills.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Shane

If you are sending the bass information from L, C, R, Rs, Ls to the LFE channel by configuring each as a "SMALL" speaker, then yes, you will get re-routed bass from your LFE. My audio system is configured with all channels set to "LARGE" and each main channel has its own dedicated subwoofer. This allows me to evaluate bass levels in all channels.

While there is ample bass coming from the main channels (mostly from the music), there isn't much dedicated LFE content.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks