What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1 Viewer)

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
The choir over the end of Streisand's rendering of the title tune can be heard in the trailer as well as the alternate LP.

Matt*H

Auditioning
Cool thread!

I'm a big CLEAR DAY/Streisand fan.

Roger Rollins ... you're the first person I've ever "met" who's heard ESP.

All these years people said it was a Streisand song. Now I hear it's a Yves Montand song, which makes a lot of sense.

I have one of the CLEAR DAY screenplays and the song ESP was meant to go in the place where "Go To Sleep" now resides. Dr. Chabot falls asleep and dreams of Melinda/Daisy in different times, places and lives. In fact, the shot where he bolts upright in bed was the "capper" to the ESP song/scene.

So .... Roger, can you remember any more of the ESP song? Was it fast/uptempo? Did Streisand duet or sing any parts? I have heard that it was in different languages, too (Italian, etc.)

As for the DVD, although I am THRILLED to finally see this film in widescreen, I was a bit disappointed with the image. To me, it looks like it needs a restoration. The colors are a bit muddy to my eyes. Also, some of the sound is excellent. But there's a few places (like "Go To Sleep") where it sounds "processed".

I could go on about the cut scenes, but I'm just so thrilled to have gotten a clue about ESP that I'm going to go up on the roof and plant some flowers.

:)

Matt

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I watched the disc from start to finish today. There's a sync issue in "Come Back to Me" that was very annoying. Too much echo on several songs, too. Awesome visuals, though.

If "E.S.P." was Montand's song, it may justify his comments on being cut out of the film. His "She Isn't You" became "He Isn't You" and possibly "E.S.P." became "Go to Sleep." His scenes concerning his wife were all cut, as well as scenes with Simon Oakland. It's an interesting script. I have a draft of it which contains a word association scene, a wedding scene, and others. Makes me wonder what was filmed and what wasn't.....

The mystery that is CLEAR DAY continues.....

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
All I can recall from hearing the recording was the "ESP" song was about 3 minutes long, and a moderate tempo. Like Montand's other vocals, some of the lyrics were hard to understand due to his particular way of speaking English.

Matt*H

Auditioning
Thanks Roger! That clarifies a lot.

So no Streisand vocals on E.S.P. at all (that you remember)?

I have actually put together a web site about Barbra ... and it has a section on CLEAR DAY where I've assembled stills and quotes from a script that illustrate most of the cut scenes:

** unfortunately the forum will not let me post a URL because I'm still new**

Hmmm. Oh well. You can find it at barbra-archives dot com and look under the FILM section.

I'm going to change the E.S.P. section to say it was a Yves Montand song.

Thanks for sharing, Roger!

- Matt :)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I just picked up On a Clear Day, and I was amazed at the beautiful picture, and especially for the first time seeing the movie with stereo sound. Thanks Paramount.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Some of the songs have echo as mentioned earlier because they are form the soundtrack album cd.
In my setup, I can play each track individually on a 5.1 film. When playing only the left and right channels (no middle) on ON a Clear Day, it completely cuts out the dialog. It dshould do the same with the bvocals but it doesn't. Every time a song comes in, the vocals are also recorded on the left and right channels leading me to believe the songs are from the two track CD. This is too bad as the multitrack masters still exist without reverb and would have far better sound.
I would have liked as an extra the final song with Barbra AND the chorus which sounds pretty good.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Hey Joe, why would they go to that source if the masters are around? Also, if they used the cd for the songs, where then did they get the underscore music for other scenes in stereo, which I am assuming was not on the cd?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Paramount did NOT have the recordings of the songs - those are owned by Miss Streisand who has them in storage. When we talked to her reps back in my Pioneer Laserdisc days - she was perfectly happy to let us borrow the tapes and she wanted to know if we could find the cut songs and put them back into the picture.
I suspect no one at Paramount Vid wanted to ask her about the tapes. The background score is NOT owned by Miss Streisand and those were there in three track stereo mag at Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks