What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Ocean's 11" (2001) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

John Bonar

Grip
Isn't this all in good fun? If you don't want to read the movie review, the organization of the piece allows for that.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
You've got to be kidding me: you "highly recommend" Hearts in Atlantis and Behind Enemy Lines, and call Captain Corelli's Mandolin "very entertaining" and The Fast and the Furious "absolutely entertaining" -- but have a problem with this film?

Aieee.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does this even need to be included with a review of the dvd? I mean, we're looking at this to see if the disc is good, not a film review? Am I alone here?
Not alone, but I honestly don't know why it bothers some people that DVD reviewers also offer their opinions of the films. The whole thing's a package - I'm not going to recommend a movie I hate just because it's technically terrific, so my thoughts about the flick itself are important.
And as has been noted, if you don't care about the reviewer's opinions, skip them! The set-up clearly delineates the different portions of the review; no one HAS to read the whole thing.
I'm with those folks who can't figure out why Ron gushed over some rather crummy (IMO) flicks and didn't like 11. It lacked compelling characters but he loved Fast and the Furious and Behind Enemy Lines??? I thought 11 was terrific - sleek and stylish in all the BEST ways, unlike Furious and Enemy, which were examples of the worst kind of form over content.
However, they call them "opinions" for a reason. Ron didn't care much for 11, and that's his right. He doesn't really need me or anyone else to defend him - he can just ban the malcontents :D - but I'm irritated by all the slams on his OPINION...
(BTW, the Soderbergh/Griffin commentaries good but not great. The actors track has some moments but seems disappointing as a whole. Too many empty spaces, too much praise. Still, it has some good comments and is fun overall - just not what it could have been...)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Sometimes I just take complete pleasure in watching a movie I know its cast and crew had fun making, and most certainly Ocean's Eleven was one such movie in my mind. It was a delight to watch, and the DVD shall be mine upon its release (the P&S version, obviously ;) ).
Dan

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Now, now...stop picking on Ron. If he likes his coffee black, we don't ALL have to drink our coffee that way, do we? ;)
While I don't always agree with his reviews (as in this case, cause I thought this film was SLICK), I enjoy reading his comments, seeing the screenshots and reading about special features that I may or may not get around to watching. If we agreed with Ron all the time, what fun would that be?
Now, as for "Oceans11"...loved it...and WILL definitely be purchasing the WIDESCREEN version.
Clooney AND Pitt!!! :D:D:D That's 2/3rds of my fantasy trio. :b

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say I'm with Ron on this one. Although I think the original is nnnowhere near a good movie, the remake is only mildly entertaining. The film simply has no thrills, at no point did I doubt they were going to make it. I think Clooney, Pitt and Company spent too much time looking cool, they forgot to actually BE cool by doing something to earn that status. Liked that ending, though.

And I also think that The Fast and the Furious and Behind Enemy Lines were more entertaining and therefore should be more of a recommendation than Ocean's Eleven. Sure, they were absolutely brainless, but they didn't try to be anything else (and neither does O11) - at least they delivered in the thrill department.

And there's nothing wrong with reviewing the content of a DVD, which is, in most cases, first and foremost the feature film. What good is a DVD that's technically perfect when the film is crap?

-Mathias

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gentlemen,

I don't mind that people disagree with

my reviews once in a while. I do mind

when the disagreements are posted in a

disrespectful manner.

I don't think many of you would enjoy other

people making some of the same replies in

threads that contain your opinion.

Mathias also brought up a very good point...

I could sit here and write reviews with

just specs in them. You know what? They would

all look the same.

For the most part, just about EVERY DVD that

I review looks basically good.

My personal opinion on whether I like the

film or not will ultimately help those individuals

who have found in the past that they share my

taste in film. This is the same reason why some

of you respect some critics more than others.

You guys have not been out of hand in this

thread. I don't mind taking a ribbing for a

review you don't agree with. All I ask is that

you remember you are adults here and should act

respectfully towards each other as you would want

to be treated yourself.

Thanks

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Just leave the reviews to the pros, OK?
:laugh: You know I'm kidding! :laugh:
Whether or not I agree with your reviews means nothing. I read them because they're good readin'. Period. If I wanted to read movie reviews that I'll always agree with...
I'll read the ones I've written. :D
As far as Ocean's 11 is concerned, I liked it a bit more than you did, but I think your complaints are valid. (Slick caper movie meets GQ magazine, etc.) I wasn't planning on purchasing this one, so your review basically sealed the deal for me. This one will be a rental for the commentaries. :)
Keep those advance reviews comin'!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks for the review Ron, I will be buying this dvd, not a great movie, but it was entertaining, the stars were having a ball, Clooney and Pitt make a good team, Roberts was wasted and Andy Garcia stole the movie IMO, a scene near the end was a ripoff/homage of a scene at the climax of The Right Stuff (an infinitely better film).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Ron's review was spot-on. I'm only sorry he didn't give a heads up on the state of the commentaries. OTOH I doubt I'll buy this anyway. Don Cheadle's accent made Dick Van Dyke sound masterful!!:D

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This 14-minute featurette remains nothing more than the usual fluff promotional pieces that HBO puts together.
Ah, but this one (if it isn't modified from the version I saw on HBO) actually contains something unique. The montage of scenes at the end of the featurette contains unaltered clips of a scene which was modified post 9/11. I was rather surprised when I realized this.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Don Cheadle's accent made Dick Van Dyke sound masterful!!
You got that right - possibly the worst fake British accent I've ever heard! I even mentioned it in my review. I think Cheadle's a terrific actor, but he should have ditched the accent - it actively detracted from his performance...

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I liked the accent. It was so silly and funny that it contributed to the overall good-natured fun of the movie. But I'm probably in the minority on that one. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dude, London isn't the whole world! The whole accent thing was just another part of the parody this film was playing out.

Crawdaddy

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Dude, London isn't the whole world! The whole accent thing was just another part of the parody this film was playing out.
Wasn't saying it was, me old Craw-like one - but that's where I saw it hence the clarification.
For me a movie needs suspension of disbelief. If this is continually broken by something like Cheadle's accent then it trips the movie up.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks