What's new

HTF REVIEW: "National Lampoon's European Vacation" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I loved this movie and will be picking it up. This is one of those series (along with Fletch) that, for me, get funnier each time I see them.
It is unfortunate the release was not a little more polished, but at least we get WS OAR.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is my least favorite of the Griswold movies. Still, it's an encouraging trend that it gets a widescreen release. Now if they can only redo the others with widescreen transfers we'll be set (Christmas Vacation in particular.)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Just watched this tonight. The two scenes with cuss words are dubbed over. In one Beverely says 'forget' instead of 'fuck' and in another scene she even mentions how bad she feels using the 'F word' in front of her kids. This the TV version of EV or what? Anyone else notice this?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Larry P: If your Best Buy prices like mine I wouldn't expect this to be sold for less than $17.99 there. They have reduced their discount on $20 titles from $5 to $2 in many cases here.

Sean_J

Agent
European Vacation is pretty good. But I don't like the actoress that plays as Odrie, she is just bad in the film.

The movie is overall great.

For the price this is a good buy. I need to add this to my collection - I am going to buy this flick!

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
"European Vacation is pretty good. But I don't like the actoress that plays as Odrie, she is just bad in the film.

The movie is overall great.

For the price this is a good buy. I need to add this to my collection - I am going to buy this flick!"

She was pretty bad...arrgh...that annoying scratchy voice. She recently died not too long ago though. I thought the first Odrie and Vegas Vacation ones were the best. To those who don't know, the first one appeared as Brandon's girlfriend in BH 90210 (she was pretty cute too).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Is Mark Wilson's comment right? Did Warner release a censored TV version of this movie? It was on my Must-Buy list but not if it's censored. :angry:

Jodee

Screenwriter
I agree with LarryP and the others that have said this is their favorite Vacaton film. Mine too!

This was the first movie I watched when I got from a French club trip to Europe. It spoke so well to me!

There are some great lines. "I miss Jack!" as she looks longingly at the German sausage is my favorite.

"Dad, he's gonna pork her!"

Funny stuff. Can't wait to watch my copy. I wish they would have gotten Amy Heckerling on the commetary. I really enjoyed her Fast Times commentary with Cameron Crowe.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Is Mark Wilson's comment right? Did Warner release a censored TV version of this movie?
Well, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe Mark is mistaken. I think the things he noticed have always been there. I saw the film in the theater, and I also owned it on tape back in the 80s. I've seen the movie at least 2 dozen times. Before I watched the DVD, it had been about 10 years since I'd seen it, but every line of dialog on the DVD, including the cuss words and subtitled "translations", is exactly as I remember it. Beverly's line about using the "F" word in front of her kids always made me wonder what she was talking about. I chalked it up to bad editing. It's always been that way, as I recall. In another scene, Chevy clearly says "fuck", even though we hear something more mild. Chevy addresses this on the commentary track, mentioning that he looped in something more tame, at his request, during ADR. I got the impression that he was talking about the original ADR sessions, not a new one simply to excise that word from the DVD.
For fans of the movie, the commentary track is worth a listen. I really enjoyed it. I hope Chevy does some more commentaries when Warner releases the rest of the Vacation series in anamorphic widescreen! [fingers crossed] :)

Gruson

Second Unit
I love this movie.

Very funny stuff. I hope they release the other in OAR and 16x9.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Erwin, what girlfriend of Brandons did the first Odrie play? I just saw Vacation on TV last weekend and I was wondering if she was ever in anything else.

As for European Vacation, I disliked it the first couple times I saw it but it had some very funny scenes that cracked me up. Now I like the movie more than before and that Odrie has grown on me. Ron's review is pretty much what I would expect.

(in my french accent)...."Rusty"

The train car scene is one of my favorite comedic scenes of all time.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
First off, I *GOTTA* mention that it's "Audrey", not "Odrie". :)
Second, Dana Barron is the actress' name.
Lastly, the girlfriend was "Nikki", circa the '92 timeframe IIRC.
Cheers,

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Does anyone have the Japanese R2 version of the first Vacation film? It's suppose to be anamorphic widescreen but I haven't seen a review of it yet. I'd like to know if it's worth it before purcashing.

Jeff

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't believe this for a minute, but please shoot it down anyway. From an Amazon.com user comment:

No added bonus material, Originally filmed in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, then modified to fit your screen, on the video version,

Well the DVD is even worse, The 1.33:1 (square-screen) version of the movie was used for this DVD, but with added black bars to make it look like it's in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio,

This film has been Modified from it's original version, & formatted to fit your TV, With added Black bars to make you think it's in it's original theatrical aspect ratio, but it's not,

The DVD is enhanced for Widescreen TV's But that doesn't matter, What matters is that most of the picture is missing, & I doubt it will ever be released in it's original aspect ratio,

The modifying table

THEATRICAL 1.85:1 (all picture intact)

VIDEO 1.33:1 (from rectangle to square, missing picture on the sides)

DVD 1.66:1 (from square to rectangle, missing picture on the sides, the top & the bottom)
It's my understanding that an anamorphic disc requires a whole new print to be struck, at considerable cost. It doesn't make sense that they would use the video print as the source, and then matte it to trick people.

If this is entirely wrong as I suspect, could some knowledgeable person leave a comment on Amazon? This shouldn't be allowed to stand unchallenged, frightening off potential buyers.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It sounds to me like that Amazon user isn't familiar with open matte video transfers.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I should have checked his/her previous comments. There was somebody complaining about the Coming to America DVD because of not understanding open matte. "I saw it on cable, and there's more picture information above and below!" Something to that effect. It's good these folks are pro-widescreen, but they do have a bit to learn.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
"Erwin, what girlfriend of Brandons did the first Odrie play?"

She played his girlfriend in the 1992-1993. Just remember this theme song----"Hey now, Hey now, don't dream it's over...blah...blah". Maybe that will bring back some memories. Yes, this show is one of my guilty pleasures. I actually liked the series in the begining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks