DVD Review HTF REVIEW: National Lampoon's Adam & Eve

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jun 21, 2000
    Directed By: Jeff Kanew

Studio: New Line
    Year: 2006
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (Anamorphic)
    Running Time: 1 Hr. 31 Mins.
    Rating: R (For Pervasive Strong Crude and Sexual Content and For Language)
    Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital (English), 2.0 Dolby Digital (English)
    Subtitles: English, and Spanish
    MSRP: $19.97
    Street Date: 7 February, 2006

Review Date: 6 February, 2006
    (Ratings are out of five stars)

I’d string you along with the unsubstantiated possibility that this isn’t a bad film, but that would be a cruel, cruel joke. Everyone expects a film with the National Lampoon tag on it to suck, but the question is…is there enough nudity/humor to justify a viewing (ala Van Wilder). The unfortunate answer in the case of Adam & Eve is no. I remember a day when National Lampoon meant you would be seeing some funny, vulgar stuff. Keyword being funny there. Aside from Ryan Reynolds, there’s been nothing funny about National Lampoon for seventeen years.

Inept editing, piss-poor acting, and horrible writing are par for the course in this one. Jeff Kanew isn’t really a slouch either. Granted, his career has been in the toilet for 20 years, but the man did make Revenge of the Nerds and also edited Ordinary People...and what the hell is Michael Douglas’s kid doing in this film. I can’t remember watching a teen-titty-flick (for lack of a better term) that took itself this seriously in a long time. Van Wilder was stupid, but at least there was some humor in it.
    Film Rating: ZERO

The video quality is pretty decent, but a little video-like at times. Too bad the film sucks so badly. I noticed a good deal of shimmering pixels during the lighter scenes, but the shadow detail was good. If I made a horrible movie, I would be very impressed if some studio made it look this good.

Video Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Filled with stereotypical indie-ish college rock, the soundtrack isn’t too interesting. The only compliment I can pay the film is that it sounded okay; pretty much how you would expect a direct-to-video piece of excrement to sound like. I didn’t notice any obvious flaws, but after about 10 minutes I was trying hard to think of something else.

Audio Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Audio Commentary with Director Jeff Kanew and Writer Justin Kanew – The commentary was a lot like a bad car wreck. I wanted to avoid listening to it as much as possible, but I had to hear what these guys thought of their films. In the end, they’re stupid enough to not really realize how bad their film was. I see no reason to watch the commentary unless you like listening to people babble about nothing for an extended period of time.
    Outtake Reel (8:22) – A candid look at the idiots behind this one.
    Deleted Scenes (6:56) – The DVD allows you to view all 6 deleted scenes separately or all at once with the Play All feature. The optimist in me is trying really hard to not say “too bad they didn’t delete more scenes” …oops.

The DVD also features Adam & Eve’s theatrical trailer as well as a few sneak peeks at other New Line films.

Extras Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In Closing…
    Save yourself an hour and a half and shoot yourself in the head now. I was going to try and say something good about this one, but it is quite possible the worst damn movie I’ve ever seen. If New Line didn’t hold the threat of requiring me to return the check disc at some point over my head, I’d take it outside and burn it immediately. Don’t even look at this one in the store. The mere sight of it may turn you to stone.

Overall Rating: ZERO

Matt Stone
    6 February, 2006
  2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Dec 1, 1999
    Tony D.
    is it true that the name national lampoon('s) had been bought by a seperate co and that the movies now coming out by the minute are just in name only?
  3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes. The magazine hasn't published since the early 80's. The rights to the name have been bought up by countless companies over the years. Tim Matheson (from ANIMAL HOUSE) owned it briefly.

It used to be that the writers from the magazine (or the publisher Matty Simmons) had some involvement with the films, but now that there is no magazine, it is just a name.