What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Mystic River (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

I loved Mystic River, and think Penn did a fine job, but I certainly thought he did a better job of acting in 21 Grams than he did in MR.

In any event, after renting this DVD and loving the movie, and considering it definitely has a large re-watchability factor, I will be purchasing this title.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Bought this DVD (3 Disc) and watched it for the first time yesterday...

Awesome! However, this is a movie that needs to be seen at least two or three times to fully grasp everything.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw a commercial for this disk on TV and it said that Mr. Eastwood composed the film score for this DVD. Good God he is a Renaissance Man through and through. While I watched this movie I was really struck by the great score not even knowing he was behind hit.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Late to the party here. Just screened this thing last night.

What a profoundly good piece of work. This is truly a great American film. A towering achievement.

Will post further about that once I've digested it a bit more. And I plan on rescreening the thing this evening.

Technically, I was taken by the film's (and disc's) muted color palette — and, yes, its "gritty" look (it screamed "dreary Boston when it's overcast"). The powerful photography serves the film's story; Mr. Eastwood is making full use of the cinematic vocabulary here the way the truly great filmmakers do.

And, I suppose, we can all consider Clint Eastwood a great filmmaker (but, then, most observers concluded that upon seeing Unforgiven).

I just cannot get this film out of my head.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That's an interesting point. His work in 21 Grams definitely required him to be more subtle. His stellar performance in that film also probably played into his winning the Oscar this year for Mystic River, IMHO.

Sten F

Second Unit
I was not that impressed by Mr. Penns performance. However, I thought Naomi Watts did a fantastic acting job. She stole the whole movie.

Sten F

Second Unit
I was not that impressed by Mr. Penns performance. However, I thought Naomi Watts did a fantastic acting job. She stole the whole movie.

Sten F

Second Unit

Thanks, for the reminder. However, every once in a while an actor/actress performance are compared in two different films - in this case Sean Penn. So I think it´s valid to also talk about 21 Grams in here... as long as weight is on Mystic River.

Sten F

Second Unit

Thanks, for the reminder. However, every once in a while an actor/actress performance are compared in two different films - in this case Sean Penn. So I think it´s valid to also talk about 21 Grams in here... as long as weight is on Mystic River.

Brant

Auditioning
Is it just me or did Tim Robbins' performance remind anyone of Michael J. Pollard?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks