What's new

HTF REVIEW: "My Big FAT Greek Wedding" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Mark Hanson

Agent
The only negative comment I had about the film at the theater was the colors etc did not jump out and the film looked a little washed out. So I expected nothing more from the DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

That was indeed a typo as I had Andrea Martin
on my mind. I have updated that information and
I thank you for bringing that to my attention.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I liked this Wedding. A very warm and funny comedy, ones that Hollywood has totally forgotten about. Not the best of the year by any stretch, but definitely worth checking out.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
My parents are Greek, but being London born I didn't embrace their Greek customs, so I cringed, smirked and laughed when I saw this in theatres, my German girlfriend was giggling and guffawing so loudly all thru the film (even at the unfunny bits) she was pissing everyone off (including me).
I'll definitely be picking this one up.:emoji_thumbsup:

Remember, whatever the word, it originally came from the Greek...;)

I have to admit, though the film didn't provide as many laughs as I had expected,
This is the type of film that's a lot funnier when viewed with a large group of viewers in the audience. Try to see it in a theatre that's atleast half full or if you are viewing it on DVD invite a dozen of your friends to see it with you.

Spiro A

Agent
My Big Fat Greek Wedding Just goes to prove if you have a
good story you dont need big bucks ($20000000.00) to attract
the majority. Keep it simple.People dont give a hoot for cutting edge tech.if the story is good and It relates to everyone one way or another and thats what this movie does.
It's warm. It's funny. It's romantic. It's not dry like
toast!!! ;) ;) ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Are we positive this disc is going to be anamorphic?

Hard to believe that a big-ticket title these days would NOT be, true.

But NOWHERE on the packaging does it say "Enhanced" or "Anamorphic". It shows "16:9", but just to indicate "Wide", not nec. Anam. .......

Interestingly, DVD Empire says that "Greek Wedding" is NOT anamorphic. And they're usually correct about this aspect of DVD releases.

Anyway, thought this was kind of curious.

Would the fact this is being distributed by HBO Home Video bear any relevance to the anam. vs. non-A. issue?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know what the difference is between the US and Canadian release? The WS and FS versions seem to be sold separately as two different releases instead of the American WS+FS version. I'm guessing it's the same transfer?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The Canadian version uses the same transfer but was released in two versions in order to accomodate trailers for the Canadian rights owners Equinox Films. I believe there were concerns that adding the trailers to a disc that had two versions of the film would compromise the quality.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
So, 16x9 = Anamorphic. That's it.
I take exception in the "Greek Wedding" case, sir!

The Greek Wedding box merely is stating the TWO different formats used on this one disc. ... Quote: Aspect Ratio 16:9 and 4:3 Included.

In this case, the "16:9" reference is indicating JUST the shape of the framing, not necessarily an Anamorphic 16:9.

For clarification purposes, it should also state "Enhanced" or "Anamorphic" or, possibly, "Additional Lines Of Resolution Provided Within The 1.85:1 Frame On 16:9 Monitors Or 4:3 Monitors With True 16:9 Widescreens Modes, Or Somethin' Like That Thar!". :D

*Men In White Coats Approach* :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So...if both aspect ratios were not included on this release, and widescreen were the only choice, and the back cover only mentioned "16x9" without mentioning the words "enhanced" or "anamorphic", then there would be no question that this was an anamorphic release?

Is that what you're telling me? That because they gave us a choice of both aspect ratios on the same box, then it somehow calls into question the well-recognized meaning of the term "16x9"? :eek:

Common sense and logic both dictate that, if a studio like HBO has put out releases all along that say "16x9" (example: every release of The Sopranos, as well as "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead") which means "Anamorphic", then it shouldn't be any different just because a MAR version is included with the same SKU.

Examples of when HBO doesn't use anamphoric widescreen, but plain old letterboxing, are "Three Amigos" (doesn't address aspect ratio anywhere on the box", "Switch" (says "2:35 Widescreen" in the specs grid), and "2 Days In The Valley" (says it's part of a "Widescreen Collection").

In fact, I don't know it for a fact, but I'm guessing off the top of my head that nobody can find an HBO release that uses the word "Anamorphic" (or "enhanced", etc.) anywhere on the box! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing off the top of my head that nobody can find an HBO release that uses the word "Anamorphic" (or "enhanced", etc.) anywhere on the box!
Found one, David. A Bronx Tale. Box says: Widescreen Version; Enhanced For 16:9 Widescreen TVs.

This is the way it should be all the time IMO, rather than JUST the numbers (16:9) being presented to indicate anamorphic.

I realize this matter is totally unimportant in light of our current economic woes and the trouble in Iraq, but while we're on this matter.....It seems to me that HBO using only a "16:9" designation is also (somewhat) misleading as to the EXACT aspect ratio the consumer can expect from a given HBO release. i.e.: "61*", which shows just, "Aspect Ratio: 16:9", and nothing else. Well, shouldn't this then, technically, mean we're going to get the film "61*" in a 16:9 ratio (meaning 1.78:1, which after all IS what 16:9 equates to)?

But, of course, not many films are in the 1.78 ratio. "61*" is really 1.85. But nowhere does it say this on the packaging for the DVD.

It'd be nice to have ALL the facts on the DVD boxes we peruse at the store each day/week. .... The exact ratio we're gonna see, as well as some type of confirmation as to anamorphic or no anamorphic.

END: Mini-tirade.

:)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, wonderful review. Your reviews are a blessing during a very boring first hour of work.

I don't think there anything not to like about this film. It is simple, not many surprises, but it's very funny. My date and I of that evening both laughed very hard. I love feel-good when it is accompanied by some brains. At under $15, no way I'm missing this again.

MattMB

Agent
Best scene has to be the one that ends "... was my twin."

My wife and I watched this just last night, very funny movie.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Well, I'd never seen it but bought it yesterday as an early Valentine's present for my wife (who had already seen it and wanted it.) It was pretty funny to me, but not for repeat-watching. I, however, was amazed at her transformation from frump to pretty great looking. Of course, my wife and her sister (twin, but not the same kind in the movie) cackled all the way through it.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Excellent review Ron!!! Thanks - just watched it last night for the first time and I agree 100% with your review! I'm about 1/3 thru the funny and revealing commentary!

Anyway, since the DVD was pretty much bare-bones featurette wise, the following is from Border's Interview - Grecian Formula: A Chat with Nia Vardalos .

... partial quotes to wet your appetite ...
"I had to go to Greek school, where I sat in a room translating, 'If Nick has one goat and Maria has nine, how soon will they marry? '" So says Toula Portokalos (writer and star Nia Vardalos) in last year's mega-smash, the hilarious My Big Fat Greek Wedding. ... "

Is there anything else that you'd like to mention about the film?

NV: Just that it really made me happy. I thought I wrote a film about my family and then I found out that everybody has this crazy family. That made me really happy, and it saved me years of therapy!
The interview reveals that Nia's real-live husband is in the movie, matter-a-fact, ..."she begged him to be in it". The Border's chat just adds a little more insight about Nia, her Greek family and the play / movie she wrote - click the link above to read the entire interview!

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks