What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Murder on the Orient Express (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The making-of documentary is so much fun!! I love the moment when Jacqueline Bisset asks the interviewer if Michael York said the same thing as she did about how EXCRUCIATING it was to shoot the "solution." The participants were all very charming, I only wish Lauren Bacall had participated...but that's just quibbling.

It was also nice to see Lord Brabourne. Interestingly, Brabourne would go on to produce DEATH ON THE NILE, THE MIRROR CRACK'D, and EVIL UNDER THE SUN, but had real tragedy strike him during the shooting of THE MIRROR CRACK'D. It was during that production, in August 1979, that his mother, his father-in-law (Lord Mountbatten), and (most horribly) one of his twin 15-year old sons where murdered by an IRA bomb.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Picked it up yesterday and watched it last night. I have to thank Paramount for putting together a nice little package for a great price ($14.99 at Best Buy). For the price it was an excellent balance between some full blown SE and a bare bones release.

The picture was good and the 5.1 mix was wonderful. Its been a long time since I heard the score and it was beautiful and lush.

The featurette was a model of its type. Informative and enjoyable. I was very happy that a segment was devoted to the writing of the score and it included an interview with Sir Richard Rodney Bennett. I was very suprised that the story of Bernard Herrmann's "Train of Death" comment was told and that Sir Richard then responded to it.

Money well spent.

(Edited to fix a name error)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
"Russell Bennett. I was very suprised that the story of Bernard Herrmann's "Train of Death" comment was told and that Russell Bennett then responded to it."

It's Richard Rodney Bennett not Russell Bennett. You may be thinking of Robert Russell Bennett who is another person entirely.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Thanks for catching the error since I had the name correct in a previous post. Post edited to fix the error.

FYI to all: Robert Russell Bennett is the arranger/conductor of "Victory at Sea". Both have the same initials. Anyone know if they are related?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks