What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Moulin Rouge" (HTF pick for BEST DVD 2001) (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Two copies of this DVD sit under my roof right now.....one for me, one for my sister. BOTH have "do not open til christmas" all over the packages. Arghhhhh! :D
Now, with the above in mind, and the fact I've only seen the movie on a tiny seatback TV, pan & scanned to buggery on a flight to LA three months ago and STILL managed to fall in love with the movie even in that state, one can understand the pain I am in waiting to open the said present and let this film go to town on the old HT. :)
Dan (UK)
-- Happy to have seen Ron Epstein and Chris Maynard get jiggy with it in their seats to the Lady Marmalade video @ Fox. :D

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've finally remembered to order mine today as well. I didn't think this was out for a few weeks yet, so I'm really kicking myself. In theory mine has 'do not open till Christmas' also, but I somehow doubt this is going to happen. This is a serious contender (along with Amelie) for my film of the year as well.

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
I got my hands on this disc yesterday and can't do anything more than echo Ron's enthusiasm for it. This is one phenomenal DVD experience. I also found time to sift through some of the extras and found that they are of great quality, especially if you'd like to expand on your enjoyment of the film.

As for the movie itself, my top 3 for the year were Amelie, In the Bedroom, and Moulin Rouge. However, upon seeing it again, I'd say it's #1 with a bullet. I'd also like to say (although this phrase gets tossed around a lot) it may have the best picture quality I've ever seen on a DVD, or at least the most colorful. (Obviously older films can't compete with a brand-new title like this, and thus the fact that Citizen Kane looks as good as it does it a revelation in itself. However, Moulin Rouge is the best off the top of my head).

Tyler Ruggeri

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Ron,

I'm so glad you liked the movie! Now you know why I was so anxious back in Sept. to have Peter "put that (Moulin Rouge) DVD in my hand!" even though I knew he couldn't yet. I'm perfectly content with the Moulin Rouge hip flask and poster art he did provide, but man I can't wait for the 18th!!

Rob

Mikal Haydn

Agent
Ron, thanks for that spectacular spectacular review. Its wonderful that more and more people are able to get 'what the story is all about'. 4 times in the theater and i wished i went back for more...

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Moulin Rouge is good entertainment, I enjoyed it in the theatre. The music and songs sounds good but the show is far from a very good movie.

To me, it is the longest music videos I've ever seen, done by a dp who fears that if the camera stops moving for more than 1/4 of a second, his MTV generation audiences will lose patience and left.

This is also a musical filled with endless medleys of non-orignal tunes, they sounded good at first hearing but makes you yearn for more original Elton John, Stings, Beatles and hundreds of other original composers' tunes...

I will buy the DVD and watch it again and again, but this is not, the poignant story of sad and shallow rock groupie or the amazing life discovery process of a young Rock Journalist... Musicwise, how can non-original medleys be compared to legend like Led Zeppelin, Who, Simon & Garfunkel and the fictitious but more real than real Stillwater?

I know Almost Famous and Moulin, you are not Almost Famous

:=)

Jaw

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I guess I was among the few lucky ones that got the disc REALLY early(Monday).
I will say that the still shot are long and tedious ....IMO:)
I actually think the movie has more impact on the small screen, if only be cause you can "take it all in"
The Others is top 5 too ....scary !! 2 Nicole Kidman flicks
Brent L

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, that sounds amazing. It was a clear buy before the DVD comes out, but with all this extras, it push it up to the top of the list.

One question, any words about the red carpet trilogy ?

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, this Disc is great in all regards. But I got the Region 4 DVD today, and picture-wise it blows the R1 out of the water (higher resolution, better colours). It also seems to have slightly more bass on the DTS track, but the differences are barely noticeable. Anyway, the R1 is going to ebay. The R4 is a keeper.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
It took me about 15 minutes to realize that I was watching a BRAND-NEW genre of film
Moulin Rouge may represent a new genre of film, but it's nothing the stage hasn't seen before. The 19th century European theatre saw a genre called "ballad opera," where original stories and dialogue were crafted to feature popular songs of the time--exactly like Moulin Rouge. Luhrman is far too savvy a director to be unaware of this relatively obscure chapter in theatre history.

In my opinion, this historical convention is the only thing that keeps Moulin Rouge from being a complete train wreck, from an art history standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie and am eagerly awaiting my DVD Planet shipment of the DVD. But, speaking as a musical theatre composer and actor, I am so in despair about the state of the genre on stage and screen right now that I'm just crying out for someone, anyone to do something with original material. Even on Broadway, every musical is either a revival, a dance revue, or based on a popular book or movie. On the screen, you have basically Disney or nothing (Evita being a notable exception).

Here's what would, in my extremely humble but passionately felt opinion, have elevated Moulin Rouge from the status of highly entertaining aberration to true and undisputable film classic: ORIGINAL MUSIC. All Luhrman had to do was choose to have all original music; no changes to the story or anything. It could have ignited a new golden age for the musical cinema, but I have to think that ten years from now Moulin Rouge is going to be viewed as an amusing oddity with great visuals but no lasting influence of any kind.

Baz Luhrman is one of my favorite directors, but I sure wish he wouldn't try to remake an entire genre every time he makes a film. His best movie, Strictly Ballroom, is pretty darn straightforward, but it couldn't have been made by anyone else. The camera angles, lighting, use of music, and absurd flashback sequence are pure Luhrman, but they aren't gratuitous the way Romeo + Juliet and, forgive me but it's true, Moulin Rouge are.

I totally respect the "music video" criticism (though whoever feels that way about Luhrman better not ever watch a film by Luc Besson or Michael Bay either, because they're just as bad). And I guess my real criticism of Moulin Rouge is less with the film as it stands than it is with the potential it represented, potential to reinvigorate a beloved genre that is dying or already dead. Moulin Rouge may owe a debt to musical theatre's past, but it does little or nothing to help its future.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew,

your post struck a chord with me.

Like you, I enjoy the movie tremendously, but felt something is missing somewhere.

PS. I still watches my old LD of "Strictly Ballroom" occassionally. after all these years...

Jaw

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Camilo, there is a DVD preview trailer of the Red Carpet Trilogy, including Strictly Ballroom and Romeo+Juliet, but no date.
As if I need to chime in and sing the praises of another great DVD, but there it is. It's as good as you've heard.
An exhaustive look at the specs alone will show that you're definitely going to get value for the dollar.

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
Yessss!! Knew the review would be great! Moulin Rouge was perhaps the most memorable film of 2001 for me. Can't wait to get my hands on the DVD this weekend. WooooHooooo!!! DTS! Yeah! Time to turn my living hall into the nightclub!!
:D

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Question

I didn't particularly enjoy A Knights Tale because it was a period piece with modern music. Actually, I didn't mind A Knights Tale, just found that the music for me was distracting and took away from the rest of the film.

Will I dislike this movie as well?

Robyn

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Robyn-

I found MR's music lyrics actually advanced the plot (or at least were on point), so I didn't find it distracting, as I thought I might. It was a little campy to have modern music, but I didn't find it jarring or take me "out" of the movie.

But, I didn't see A Knight's Tale, so I can't compare for you.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
>>>I didn't mind A Knights Tale, just found that the music for me was distracting and took away from the rest of the film.
Will I dislike this movie as well?

Users who are viewing this thread