HTF REVIEW: "Monsters, Inc." (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots)

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I'm with Neil. The "Finding Nemo" trailer actually reminds me a lot of the Monsters, Inc teaser trailer that just had them come out of the closet and joke around. It was hard to get a feel for the film, and certainly didn't give any hints to the amount of creativity and warmth that would be in the film.
I agree also with Scott, the "apartment" scene sure had some pretty nice sound. I don't know about it being too soft, but I thought the mix sounded pretty decently balanced.
And again Pixar gives you the sound effects only 5.1 track. Sort of dumb I suppose, yet really really cool to me.

One thing about Disney, they take a very user friendly approach to navigation. They give you plenty of instructions and methods for getting to the features, but they also still give you the option of a more immersive menu experience.
BTW, you have to love Mike's musical. Oh and my favorite "outtake" involved a certain character from another Pixar film.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Preordered from Best Buy last night (without reading your review) I guess I took a leap of faith. It was $17 plus, you get a $5 digital coupon.

I just watched it and was disappointed. In short, beautiful animation but an average story. Pixar could have done much better. A no sale for me.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I just watched it and was disappointed. In short, beautiful animation but an average story. Pixar could have done much better.
Hate to agree with this sentiment, but I must. I found myself let down by the flick when I saw it theatrically last year, but I thought this might have occurred due to high expectations. Nevermind that I also expected great things of Bug's Life and TS2 and walked away happy, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

I watched it again the other day and felt almost exactly the same way. Nothing about the project seems problematic, but it simply lacks that delightful spark that informed the prior Pixar flicks. It includes all the right components, but they just don't click. Heck, I thought the "Mike's New Car" short on the DVD provided more laughs in a few minutes than Inc. did in its 90!

Overall, I enjoyed Inc., but not to a tremendous degree. I didn't think it was anything special - it seemed very average, which is something I can't say about all the other Pixar films...

Sam Davatchi

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m sure I saw John Lasseter on the DVD saying story is the most important thing to them and it comes first!

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
The R2 which I bought appears to have all the extras the R1 has (I mostly buy R1 BTW as it is usually a superior product) but one thing suprises me the R1 was DD5.1EX but the R2 has that & DTSES - Where's the logic behind that ?
Yeah, that had me wondering at first too, but now I think the R2 discarded the recomposed 4:3 version, thus allowing for the required space to fit the DTS track.
That's only too bad for all of us who bought R1...

But hey, I'm sure the 5.1 track is great enough!

Andy_S

Second Unit
I watched the bonus feature that showed Pixars new facility. Man, am I jeolous. Why can't my company have a monkey!

Terrell

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Does anyone get any skipping for about a second or two, right at the point where Mike takes Sully through the door to where Boo's door is? It's towards the end of the film.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, there's definitely something wrong with the sound (at least on my disk) during the intros. I've seen others mention how anemic the previews sound, and I agree. But then I don't know exactly how those previews should sound.

BUT, I do know how the THX intro should sound. After watching it on Monsters, I thought something was wrong with my setup. Almost no bass AT ALL . So I popped in Toy Story 2 and watched the same exact THX intro. Sounded as awesome as ever, with the room shaking the whole time. Then I watched the first few minutes of TS2, just to make sure. When the doors into Zurg's fortress start opening, I thought something was going to fall off the walls (Dual SVS 16-46CS+ in a relatively small room).

Put back in Monsters and there was the wimpy THX intro again. No matter how loud I turned it up, the bass still was way low. I skipped through the movie, to where I read in Ron's review that the exploding sock had really cool bass. IT DOES! Brief, but massive "WHUMP" (heard something rattle in the kitchen)

So apparently it's just the stuff before the movie. Not really a big deal, but I wonder if Disney will do anything about it.

ChrisMatson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I picked this up for $14.87 today and I must say that I feel like I stole this DVD. I spent about 1 1/2 hours playing with the second disc, going through the shorts, the tours, and some easter egg treats. This is certainly in the front running for DVD of the year. I suppose that there are many more big releases coming, but this is a fantastic 2-disc package full of wonderful material. I haven't watched the movie yet, though I did watch the opening scene to check out the video quality.
Stunning!

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
well i just got doen watching the dvd awsome movie, awosme sound and picture. for me the sound worked awsome. no porbs at all. i got mine at k-mart. not sure were the ones who are having sound probs got theres. but i dont buy many dvds at bestbuy any more for that it seems i have more trouble with dvds from them then any were else...

Alex S

Second Unit
Does anyone get any skipping for about a second or two, right at the point where Mike takes Sully through the door to where Boo's door is? It's towards the end of the film.
Terrell mine freezes and stays frozen !
I have to fast-forward to continue.
It only happens on the widescreen version.
I have a Pioneer player.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
reference, Reference, REFERENCE material!.
This has instantly become my most coveted DVD. If I ever needed my recent purchase of a HDTV validated, this is it.
The sound is equally amazing. I did not hear the typical "muddiness" that I usually experience with Dolby Digital tracks. Nice clean bass and clear voices present on this DVD.
I missed this film in the theaters. I have been waiting patiently for this DVD. Simply put, it was worth every second, minute, hour and day spent. I can't wait to have friends over to see this puppy.
Oh yah, the movie was good too
Michael.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
After watching the Finding Nemo teaser, I have this feeling it, too, may become another Pixar classic. Is that Ellen Degeneres voice as the blue fish?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid