What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Million Dollar Baby - Three Disc Deluxe Edition (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Dome, I'd rent it.

I liked it a lot the first time I saw it, but like others have stated, it's a movie that stays with you long after you see it and the more it stayed with me, the more it fell apart as I thought about it more and more. Some have found the content of the last half hour offensive, and while the content didn't necessarily offend me, the way it was handled did. For a number of years, my family had found itself in a similar situation to the one the characters find themselves in the last act, and let's just say the film doesn't portray it particularly honestly. The movie endeavored to make audiences cry, which it did, but in a way I found to be brutally manipulative.

Still it's worth seeing for the performances and as a movie to be discussed, but I definitely wouldn't consider it a blind buy.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm sure I'll get this eventually; not sure which version yet. I'm glad they made the 2nd disc available without having to buy the soundtrack, though, unlike Mystic River, which was 1- or 3-disc.

Very fine movie. After my brother saw this, he said that Eastwood and Freeman could just sit there and grunt at each other, and it would be briliant. :D I think I'd be inclined to agree. And I have to agree with Herb, too: Eastwood is one of the greatest living American film directors. He's so good at just letting the story unfold; he doesn't force it.

Dome-I'd say rent it, too. I loved it, but it may not be for everyone.

Thanks for the review, Herb!

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Their advertising this DVD on TV right now (comercials), chanels like "A&E"...

Anyway, the scenes they show give away (spoil) the entire movie including the ending! I haven't seen this movie yet and I carefully avoided reviews and too much info since it came out, but now I know exactly what happens.

Just thought I'd let everyone know for those who like me, haven't seen it yet.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Yeah, I saw one of the TV ads last night and was surprised they'd spoil the third act.

~T

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Excellent review and Kudos to Warner (AGAIN!) for keeping the bar raised on DVD releases.

(nothing more to say)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I loved this movie. Amazon seems to be the cheapest on the 3-disc, so I've got two pre-ordered. I'm surprised the disc two content is so bare, but I'd have to agree with others who speculate that this is so the bitrate wouldn't suffer (good move). Still, an audio commentary is certainly called for; and I'm disappointed there isn't one. Oh well, it's still going to be a nice set.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just watched the DVD last night, having missed it in the theater. It was going to be a blind buy, but I'm glad I got the chance to watch it first. While very well presented, it still felt like a "tragedy-of-the-week" TV movie, but with top-notch actors and production values.

I really enjoy almost every performance Eastwood and Freeman have ever given. But here, to me, they seemed to be just "going through the motions" delivering performances we've seen them do before. (Proving that Freeman's Oscar was clearly more for his career, rather than this performance). I have watched, and then purchased, many films starring Freeman that I would have otherwise ignored. The man's appearance in a bad film can salvage the whole mess and make them worth watching. Well almost..."Dreamcatcher" and "The Big Bounce" were not his best efforts.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
A splendid movie!! I already have the excellent soundtrack CD so I'll be picking up the 2 disc version - can't wait!!

John

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, there's a $13.00 difference between buying the 2-disc at CC for $14.99 and the 3-disc at CC for $27.99. That's a big difference for 35 minutes of music.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Loved the movie (in my top 10 of all time) and kudos to Warner on the DVD. God the A/V quality on this is outstanding:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not really into extras much, even less so commentaries, but this is one of the few films I would've actually listened to one if it were available.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the review Herb. I like the inclusion of the screen shots. I too missed this in theatres but I like a good drama so I just may pick up the 2 disk.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

And the 2-disc set is $13.99 today only at Fry's.

- Steve

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Just got mine for $13.99 at Fry's during lunch. They have to have the worst setup for DVD's ever. Seems like I'm always pulling the new release from a box on the floor.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Could anyone describe what the soundtrack is like, or compare it to something else that I might get a feel for it. I usually always opt for the edition with the most supplements or extras, but in this case I'm not sure if it will be worth it just for the soundtrack, since it is substantially more expensive. I like the case for the 3 discer better as well, so I'm a bit torn as to which one to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks