What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I need to fix that.

I reviewed the deluxe edition. The single-disc version is just the movie. There is no way in the world you could do a single disc version of that movie with DD and DTS soundtracks and that 80 minute 100 Days at Sea featurette, and then some. I was sent a two-disc set.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I'll agree with the reviewer, this wasnt the best movie of the year, but it certainly wasn't bad, and Crowe does manage to come up with yet another great performance.

After reading that review, this movie goes from "might buy" to "definitely buy"! I can't wait! :D

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
The sound in the theatre was incredible. As stated in the review, the sound is great with the cannons and the splintering wood. I will buy the deluxe version in a second.

I have read only the first book of the series (I intend to read the rest as I loved it), but at least one scene in the movie seem to have come straight out of that book.

The scene I read in the first book was the "little boat silouhette gambit" and I think there's another scene in the film which also came out of the book which I can't recall right now

Is this scene from the first book, "Master and Commander"?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Richard,

FSotW the movie is loosely, I mean loosely, based on FSotW the book. The main premise of chasing a ship into the Pacific is there but after that there's not much of a connection (I don't want to go into detail because it will ruin the book for you).

The movie is a conglomeration of things from a couple of books and I believe the first book is one of them. For instance, the joke that Aubrey tells Maturin during dinner in the movie (the one about the 2 weevils) is taken from a dinner scene in The Surgeon's Mate, IIRC.

The part you spoilered is also in The Nutmeg of Consolation, although they only plan to do it in the book but don't get the chance because the situation changes.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks fot the review. I also missed this theatically but plan on buying this when it comes out.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

I'll definitely be picking the 2 disc version up myself, although to be honest I was vaguely disappointed. I expect that was largely a result of somewhat higher expectations than are reasonable, and the fact that my enjoyment of the film was seriously disrupted by the caps code crap. I did find it amusing to catalog which books various scenes were from though :).

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Great review, Adam! I never saw it in theaters because of the numerous complaints I heard about the CAPS dots, but your review has damn near convinced me to pick it up on release date without even having seen it. That's the kind of thing I buy DVDs for: great movie, great picture, great sound, great extras.

cheers,
Phil

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i was sitting on the fence on this title (and starting to dangerously lean towards the "not buy" side) until i saw Adam's excellent review. now i'm afraid i'm gonna hafta buy.:)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
This film was far and away the best I saw last year. It sounds like the DVD is going to be one of my favorites. Great going FOX!

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I verified the packaging. There are 3 SKUs

* Full screen, movie only, single disc
* Widescreen, movie only, single disc
* Deluxe set with second disc of extras, booklet, map, slip case, etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
> Deluxe set with second disc of extras, booklet, map, slip case, etc.

Well, that explains the $40 MSRP. I was wondering about that -- most 2-disc sets cost the same as single-disc releases these days!

Adam:
Any chance you might review the DTheater version as well? As more day and date DTheater titles emerge, it would be good to have them treated in close proximity to the DVD versions.
Also, if previous titles are an indication (Moulin Rouge especially), the sound on the DTheater version will be even more stunning..(wish I could decode DVHS DTS!).

Will be getting the DVHS tape, I'll try to drop back by and give impressions when it arrives.

Oh, and thanks for the excellent review!
Matt

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts exactly. I went to this movie because I am a wanna be sailor, and was supprised on how much I loved it. Crowe was charming the old "Women want him and Men want to be him" kind of indanna Jones, James Bond type charming. The whole movie had such a great intellegent adventure that I have not felt so deeply for aside from 111111The African Queen You have Man V. Man, Man V. nature and Man V. Himself. There are many moral chalenges that come with leadership and I think the main Characters choices are exemplary and I will be glad to show this film to children (old enough to handle the violence that is).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have no choice. My wife, who owns all 21 books and read them several times already, insists on me buying the set.

So does my son, and I, who only saw the movie in the theater with them (rare occasion lately) think it's one of the best films of 2003 too.

So, I'm very glad that it's such a pristine version!

Cees

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Buying the 2-Disc! Woooo hoooo! Must crank the subwoofa all the way it can go, Cap'n! :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
AND her birthday is May 9th! :)
Overseas shipping better be adequate this time.

Cees

mckenzig

Grip
I avoided this film in the theatre mostly because I'm not a Crowe fan - but when I popped in the single DVD with DTS sound, I was blown away.
Adam is right, the sound on this disc is amazing. The opening scene with the ship rocking, boads creaking, wind blowing, waves lapping and the the peel of the bell - WOW! This is a movie I almost could have switched off the projector for and just listened to the surround sound. Even the menus have wonderful wind and wave sounds that show off your sound system.
The movie itself is OK (story is slow and seems rather pointless really) but the visuals and sound are definitely worth it.
Cheers,
Grant

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
This may sound like a stupid question, but the Inside Look thing on the first disc, is it actual Trailers for those films? I like trailers so that's why I am asking.

Clayton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks