DVD Review HTF REVIEW: MacGyver: The Complete Third Season

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Sep 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    MacGyver - The Complete Third Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1987 - 1988

Rated: NR

Length: 15 hours 42 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English Stereo

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

Suggested Retail Price: $36.99 USD

Release Date: September 6, 2005

MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) returns for another season of adventure in The Complete Third Season.

We all know him as the secret agent of The Phoenix foundation, a think tank that exists to solve all sorts of problems. As the star agent, MacGyver is known for using his wits and improvisational skills in lieu of weapons. He can find his way out of any dangerous situation using his knowledge of science and everyday items around him.

The third season feels a bit different than those before it, as the stories become a bit more serialized - referencing earlier episodes and involving recurring characters. It gives the show a bit of added realism populating the episodes with a familiar world, history, and characters.

MacGyver: The Complete Third Season contains all twenty episodes from season three, spread over five discs, four episodes per disc. Discs one through four are housed in double thinpacks, and disc five is enclosed in a single thinpack. All three thinpacks are slipped inside a cardboard sleeve.

The episodes:
    Disc One: Lost Love, Part I; Lost Love, Part 2; Back from the Dead; Ghost Ship
    Disc Two: Fire and Ice; GX-1; Jack in the Box; The Widowmaker
    Disc Three: Hell Week; Blow Out; Kill Zone; Early Retirement
    Disc Four: Thin Ice; The Odd Triple; The Negotiator; The Spoilers
    Disc Five: Mask of the Wolf; Rock the Cradle; The Endangered; Murderer’s Sky

The Transfers
    Paramount could have used Macgyver’s help to fix up the video quality on this set. That’s been the case with the previous releases, and it stands with season three.

While the source seems less dingy than season one (and comparable to season two), the picture is still soft

Contrast is much the same as seasons one and two, with decent blacks, but with whites that never seem to achieve purity. Colors are, at least, consistent across the episodes that I viewed for the review.

Mosquito noise, aliasing and moire effects can still be seen in this season, from time to time. These visible compression artifacts are noticeable and disappointing. If season two was good enough for you, season three should pass muster as well. If not, you’ll continue to be disappointed.

One notable improvement over previous seasons is the audio. Season three was the first season in which MacGyver was produced in stereo - and that stereo mix has been included on the DVD.

For an early stereo effort, the show takes pretty good advantage. The score is opened up nicely in the stereo mix, and there are occasional positional references in the sound effects as well. Dialog is generally pinned front and center, and is always intelligible over the music and effects. Frequency response is pretty good, offering up a fair amount of bass when needed. While it can’t compare to today’s TV on DVD, the stereo audio isn’t bad.

Special Features
    There are no special features, beyond the semi-forced previews for other Paramount DVDs on disc one.

Final Thoughts
    MacGyver is a fun show, but the transfers are still somewhat of a disappointment. Between that and the total lack of extras, this set is a bit of a tough sell for all but the hardcore MacGyver fan.

2. John*D

John*D Second Unit

[​IMG] SOLD!

3. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Thanks for the review...

I am new to Macgyver... bought season 1 as a blind buy... I wish there was more extras... but the set is priced good... so I will continue... it really is a fun show... unbelievable? YES!... but fun all the same. [​IMG]

4. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I'll be getting this very soon.

5. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Season 3 here I come. [​IMG]

6. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I just picked up Season 3 [​IMG] Gotta watch some today [​IMG]

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Anyone have a problem with Disc 3? For some reason the 4th episode wont play in my player

8. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

All fine here.