What's new

HTF REVIEW: LOST - the complete first season - ADDICTIVELY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

A quick addendum to that is that the scenes deleted from the original version of the pilot didn't air when they aired both halves back to back either. It was just both episodes played back to back but the first half had no credits.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
On the "rewatchability." I've watched this from the beginning. And the reruns. And then the summer reruns. Counting the DVD, I've seen some episodes 3+ times. I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep seeing new things. I'm not talking about little details like books they're reading, but actual pivotal moments in the development of the characters. Stuff that was right out there in the open if you only had the hindsight to see it for what it was.

For instance, Locke suggesting that Sawyer was the one who hit Sayeed on the head, when it was actually Locke. And then Locke gave Sayeed the knife to torture Sawyer, when he knew Sawyer was innocent!! That man is malicious, I tell you! But they set him up as a hero.

I like how the characters seem to be one thing at first (hero, bad guy, lover, sibling, etc.), then turn out to be something else by the end of the series. So YES, this show has great "rewatchability" if that is a word. I'm havng a blast watching them all again with no commercials and a gorgeous picture (I don't have cable, just an antenna.)

m.cellophane

Agent
Real Name
James
I've been in communication with some people who have an Audio Options option on their Setup screens for Lost Season 1. They are able to select a DD 2.0 track. Even with PowerDVD, I do not see a DD 2.0 track...it isn't available through PowerDVD and there is no menu from which to select it.

The box on both sets lists DD 5.1. My UPC is 86936-27804 and I bought it from Best Buy online (and it didn't come with the bonus disc).

On my Setup screens, there is no Audio Options selection. I have been told that other people see an Audio Options selection between Return to Episode and Main Menu.

A user with the Audio Options menu has responded that they purchased their set from Best Buy online as well! (And we're both using Power DVD.)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
James, got mine at BB, no bonus disc, same UPC and I have both a DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 track. You can select it under Setup, then Audio Options.

Strange that it appears yours doesn't have one. ??? Are all the discs that way? Maybe just one of them.

Finished watching the entire set today, including the bonus features. Wonderful set all around. Makes me wish I was part of the show. :) I'll listen to the commentaries later. I did listen to a bit of Terry O'Quinns.

Right when I finished I switched back to regular tv and it happened to be on ABC and an ad for Season 2 was playing. :D They showed some footage that I haven't seen before. Boy I can't wait for the 21st!

m.cellophane

Agent
Real Name
James
Yep, I've gone through each disc's Setup menu and I don't have the "Audio Options" selection on any of them. Using PowerDVD, I also do not see the 2.0 track in PowerDVD's audio menu.

I don't need the 2.0 track, but it's just strange to see 2 different versions of a release on release day.

Here's a screenshot from the Setup menu of my Disc 1:

Here's someone else's Setup menu from Disc 1:

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Who wants to bet it's intentional to make the DVD seem as mysterious as the show itself?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well I just finished watching the first episode part 1 & 2 and think it's pretty stellar!

The creapiest thing I heard was the interration message with the creapy guy voice.

this is defintely cool TV I'm going to love watching(that and Firefly, I just started tonight as well)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Yesterday my friends and I were looking for something to watch that was all ready in the house and found that one of the roommates had rented the first disc of Season 1. We had seen a trailer for "Lost" at the beginning of a movie we had gone to earlier in the day and thought it looked cool so we decided to give it a try....does anyone know how to cure this addiction to this GREAT show?! I cannot remember the last time I was so involved in a show. We watched the first disc until 1:30 AM (echoing what happened with David Boulet and his group) and tonight we watched disc 2 until about 12:30 AM. I cannot wait to watch the rest of this first season and then jump into the second season when it begins to air.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Yesterday my friends and I were looking for something to watch that was all ready in the house and found that one of the roommates had rented the first disc of Season 1. We had seen a trailer for "Lost" at the beginning of a movie we had gone to earlier in the day and thought it looked cool so we decided to give it a try....does anyone know how to cure this addiction to this GREAT show?! I cannot remember the last time I was so involved in a show. We watched the first disc until 1:30 AM (echoing what happened with David Boulet and his group) and tonight we watched disc 2 until about 12:30 AM. I cannot wait to watch the rest of this first season and then jump into the second season when it begins to air.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I got the DVD on saturday afternoon and me and my sister ripped through 16 episodes until 5 a.m. in the morning. It was awesome. We just finished watching the set last night and are anxiously awaiting the new season. I'm glad she didn't have the "i want answers NOW damn it!" syndrome and went with the flow of the show. Then again..its probably easier when you're watching 24 episodes in 2 days instead of over a whole year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I like having to wait between episodes (although some of their breaks were pretty damn long :)). It makes the cliffhangers 'mean' more when I can't just hop to the next episode. For me, it's cool when you get to the end of an episode and say "Oh man! I can't wait to see the next episode!" and you gotta wait a week or two. It builds the anticipation for the next episode. I guess I like wondering what happens next.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just watched the Locke-centric episode Walkabout last night.

What a great character and job Terry O'Quinn does with him! This was the episode that totally hooked me on the series.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
I just finished watching the white rabbit. Has anyone else watched the commentaries yet? I gotta say I love how in the first 2 commentaries they cut from the show and then stop in certain parts and show secret little scenes and backstage stuff. I have never really seen a commentary do anything like that!
It's really cool! JJ Abrahams always creates the best dvd sets!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They did the same thing for an outtake on a commentary on Alias: Season Two. It's great to see what they're talking illustrated right then as opposed to seeing it in another part of the set (or not at all).

EricW

Senior HTF Member

that is so NOT how i like to watch them :)
i'm probably going to watch the coming season by the month (4 eps at a time), if not every 2 months.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Not really related to the DVD set per say, but has anyone involved on the behind-the-scenes creative side of the show indicated whether they have a set time-limit for the run of the show, and thus have the whole arc planned out - sort of like Babylon 5. I'd just like to know that the mystery or mythology aspects of the show have concrete resolutions to which we're being built up to, rather than the show going the X-Files route and meandering its way meaninglessly as the show continues on year after year with no good direction because there was no forethought to the storytelling of the overall arc.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They have mentioned numerous times, and mention it in the Behind the Scenes stuff, that they mapped out the story through 5 or 6 years (seasons). So with that I would think (hope) that they have a concrete idea of where all of this is going, at least with the hatch, the others, the 'monster' and the island. The characters seem to be a different story since most were created during casting and modified as such.

It is really strange watching all of the audition tapes of the actors reading other character's parts. Can you imagine Dominic or Jorge as Sawyer? :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think someone was wondering about the Best Buy digital coupon a couple pages back that came with a bestbuy.com preorder. I just got mine in my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks