What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Lost In Translation (1 Viewer)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
No insert was supposed to be included.

A promotion with The Virgin Suicides might difficult when DVDs are from different studios...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i will simply say this movie floored me. it was *so* good. without question one of my faves of recent memory.

heck, i remember walking out of the theater going "whoa".

stating the obvious ron ... i'm sure you already checked out the official thread in movies? :D i think i posted a few comments in there too.

nice to be fore-warned about the tabs. i'll be so excited that i may just snap those things off in my hurry to play this wonderful ... oh so wonderful ... movie!

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator

From my mini-comment in my Best of 2003 list:

I expected to like it, but who knew I’d absolutely love it? It’s a spectacular and perfect combination of every cinematic element working. The acting has long been discussed and I too admire it. Both Murray and Johanssen manage to portray their isolation and confusion over their surroundings and lives with great humour and heart. The film is photographed with great attention to framing and uses especially gorgeous lighting. The cinematographer truly takes advantage of the colours and vast urban landscape that is Tokyo. The use of sound and music made for the only soundtrack I purchased from a film released this year, with Kevin Shield’s score and Coppola’s choice in songs complementing the story nicely, but without taking away from anything more important on the screen. Bringing it all together, Sofia Coppola betters herself after a very impressive debut and proves to be one of the most distinct young cinematic voices working in film. That she wrote the screenplay as well emphasizes her talent even more. While I initially considered the movie as an actors’ and cinematographer’s film, it’s clearer now that without Coppola and her script and steady directing, none of the other elements would have worked so ideally together. Lost in Translation is such a fun, involving, honest and beautiful film in what was a surprisingly great year of movies.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
My copy has an insert for a Kirin beer sweepstakes contest (including a tour of the Kirin Brewery in Yokohama, Japan and a gift pack that includes "Kirin logo Lucky Cat, Happi Coat . . . and chopsticks"). The case also has the tabs. I picked it up at J&R.

Doug Fisher

Auditioning
The Alliance Atlantis version differs from all the pictures I have seen on the net..there is either a fullscreen or widescreen banner along the top... and below that 2 critic reviews.. one of which has 4 star images underneath.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
btw, the Germans in the sauna: one is telling the other how much he likes Japanese food but now that he's eating it all the time, all he wants is a good German meal.:)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
What is up with those tabs? I thought I was a super weakling trying to pry the case open before I noticed them. They are beyond annoying. I assume its some lame attempt at "anti-theft", but they are ugly as sin.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
My case also came with the Kirin ad. This Universal trend of adding product placment in place of chapter listings is very annoying. :thumbsdown:

I found those extra tabs puzzling. It's not like there's an epidemic of keepcases flipping open without warning.

As for the forced trailers, adding a disclaimer at the beginning saying you can fast forward through them is adding insult to injury. :angry:

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I can get over the tabs, I'm just going to slip the cover into a normal amray case. Problem solved.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie. I'm dog tired and still flew through the disc and its extras.

I'm very impressed with the documentary attached to it. In no way some EPK piece, it instead is a great fly on the wall tour of them putting this film together.

I have to say that, without question, the tabs on the case are the most bizarre addition I've ever seen. I mean, who has been asking for the functional equivalent to a deadbolt to be added to their case. Have they spontaneously been erupting on the way from the DVD rack to the player such that we have to secure them solidly?

Another interesting note - the commercials for this movie label the film as both available on DVD as well as in theaters (as it still is here). Have there been other films that prompt you to "See it in theaters or buy it on DVD today"?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I think it is fun to play with the tabs. Other than that, they are pointless. Also, they look like they'll eventually just wear down and break off soon. Horrible to see no insert but some stupid Kirin ad. Even worse to have to fast forward through forced trailers.

Now to the movie, which I just watched for the first time since my original viewing in the theater 3 months back or so. The story and performances are so real, nothing here is forced or manipulative. I, as a viewer, still truly felt rewarded by the film's resolution, even though I knew what was coming this time.

Great visuals. I can, however, see why this film would not be suited to everyone's tastes. Because it is very much about the visuals. Without all the shots of Charlotte exploring Tokyo or Bob having drinks, the story probably could have been plowed through in an hour's time. But then none of us would have gotten the bigger picture or seen how these characters truly were lost (believe me, our culture seems pretty primitive compared to Tokyo's!). Sadly, many people will not understand why this all works to the film's advantage, and this truly is a beautiful movie. I think it without question deserved its Best Picture nomination, and should finish second only to Return of the King.

The "stocking" incident is still my favorite part of the movie. Ha!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is a tough year for the Oscars.

In fact, it's probably THE most EXCITING year
we have had in a long time.

I am truly happy with all the nominations and
this will be a very close race.

Having said that, it's going to be sad to see
LOST IN TRANSLATION passed over for Best Picture
and Bill Murray for Best Actor.

(I predict MYSTIC RIVER and SEAN PENN will win)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I'm just gullable, or easily persuaded, but reading all these really positive comments from you all makes me want to give this another viewing (if I can get it back from my daughter!) It sounds like I must have missed so much of the 'spirit' of this film that it deserves another try... maybe the mood or something was wrong the first time around but surely so many can't be wrong... it must be me:b I'll post back if I'm converted;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The film looks EXACTLY as it did in the theatre... so no worries about that! :) I am only annoyed by the forced trailers on the beginning of the disc... otherwise the picture is beautiful, the soundtrack is brilliant, and the extras are non-fluffy (although I wish Sofia would have recorded a commentary track).

Those tabs were also easily broken off the case after I got the DVD out of the store (much to the amusement of my friends ;))

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I knew this going in, but I was stupid and tried to watch it while I was doing some other things, so I missed most of the great visuals. I need to go back and watch it again when I have time to focus on it. I enjoyed it, but I think I would love it if I watched it with my full attention.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Found the picture softness that many are commenting on about the same as on The Virgin Suicides disc. This was the best damn film of last year hands down, IMO. I'm looking forward to her next film, Coppela shows a lot of promise. A very meaningful film that has stayed with me.

I didn't mind the forced trailers because many of the films look damn good. Already going to do a blind buy on The Swimming Pool.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched Lost in Translation for the first time last night and I must say that I think all of the praise is well deserved. I was floored. What an *awesome* film! Loved it! The story and script were exceptional, Bill Murray was perfect, the cinematography brilliantly done. Sofia Copolla's direction was inspired. She is certainly one of the most refreshing talents working in film today. You go girl! After this and The Virgin Suicides, I can't wait to see her next effort.

The standout performance for me in this film wasn't Bill Murray's though, it was Scarlett Johansson's. I wonder why she hasn't received more recognition for her wonderful work here? I'm certainly not trying to detract from Murray's accomplishment, but I thought she was easily his equal throughout the movie. All you ever hear about in relation to LIT is his turn as Bob Harris, yet I don't think that he eclipsed her at all. She was equally impressive in my opinion.

As for the audio and video side of LIT, I have to disagree with those who have called this transfer soft. Viewed on my ISF calibrated Hitachi 57SWX20B via a Denon 5900 outputing progressive component it was very filmlike. There was no overt softness or lack of detail that I could see that wasn't a result of the way the movie was shot. I thought it looked beautiful. Great use of lens, depth of field, and color. Audio-wise I listened to the DTS track and found it extremely immersive for such a dialogue driven film. The use of ambient sound in this mix was very impressive and really sucked me into the presentation. Well done all around.

The only thing I *didn't* like about this disc were the forced trailers. ONCE AGAIN Universal, *please* drop 'em already! Put trailers with the other extras and let me CHOOSE if I want to watch them. Thank you very much.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Oscar loves a lot of the people involved in this film (Sean Penn, Clint Eastwood, Tim Robbins, etc.), but this simply isn't their year. Return of the King and Lost In Translation are topping all the critics lists and winning at all the pre-Oscars awards. Mystic River, Seabiscuit, and Master & Commander have yet to really contend.

I will be stunned if either ROTK or LiT doesn't take the Best Picture and Best Director categories, Ron. Even though the make-up of the Academy is so different than the Hollywood Foreign Press, the winners of the Golden Globe for 'Best Drama' or 'Best Musical or Comedy' have combined to take the 'Best Picture' Oscar 8 out of the last 9 years (1994 is the only year in this span which deviated from the norm).

In six of those eight victories, the 'Best Picture' winner had also been the winner of the 'Best Drama' Golden Globe. In the other two instances, the winner had previously won the 'Best Musical or Comedy' Golden Globe. So on history alone, ROTK is the favorite, LiT the runner-up. But you are right, Mystic River is a contender, the only real threat to the awards history books this year.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Lord of the Rings is a shoe-in for Director and Picture, and while I admired the film, I didnt love it.

I was dissapointed by 'Lost' in the theatre. Gave it another shot at home and still thought it was overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks