What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I finally got to sit down and watch a good chunk of the supplemental material. Some REALLY good info on those discs. I really liked hearing stories from the set and and personal stories of the actors (like the relating of the story when John Rhies Davys (sp?) ordered for the group at a restaurant, hehe).

The Weta Workshop stuff is REALLY long too. Unfortunately, this bit annoys me a great deal because either Richard Taylor is reading from a script or he just always talks like he's reading from a script and giving PR because he doesn't seem natural at all, even when it's shots in the one-on-one interviews. That just kind of urks me when everyone else is so relaxed and natural.

I was particularly fond of seeing all the info about the forced perspective work, as I thought it was very well done (except for Ian Holm kicking the table of course, hehe).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So far, I've only had time to watch the first movie disc of the EE set. No glitches or other problems so far.
When the original version was released to the theaters, I went to see it and was really disappointed because there was so much cut out which (if you didn't already know the story) would be a bit confusing. This really bothered me because some of my friends who had not read the book but saw the movie kept quizzing me as to why things were happening the way they did and, in general, what was going on? The last time I had read the rings trilogy was 7th grade, so I didn't remember most of it, yet I couldn't help feeling a bit lost to as if there were some things left out which should not have been. My mom, who is a huge Hobbit fan, even noted her disappointment in the film because some things critical to the story were cut out for the sake of keeping the pacing fast for theater-goers. One thing in particular: When the Lady of the Woods gives the members of the fellowship broaches before they leave was left out of the theatrical version. This is an important event because it helps to know this later in one of the other books. As it stands now, one minute the party does not have them, the next they do....with no explanation as to where they came from.
I have not watched the second movie disc yet, but I really hope this was reinserted into the EE.
All I can saw about the EE is WOW! The footage put back in really fleshes out the characters and gives you a better history of Middle Earth. In my opinion, it helps to tell a better story and makes the movie very watchable (whereas I found the theatrical version almost unwatchable because there were too many things alluded to with no explanation or background information to back it up).
I have also found the dts track to be much superior to the DD track. The dts is a lot cleaner with more ambience to it. I am hearing things in the dts track (background noises, etc...) which I could not pick up on the DD track. The dialogue also seems much cleaner on the dts track. The LFE of the dts track is not overcooked like it was on the DD. LFE is there and you know it, but you're not smacked in the face with it as you were with the DD track.

Paul W

Second Unit
CLEARLY PJ and co. envisioned this film with a ratio 2.35:1 long before a single frame was shot, which to me was a statement that the Super35-based full frame version is NOT a "have it both ways compromise" as
In this case, PJ chose the super35 process for depth of field qualities (what with there being a multitude of forced perspective shots).

I can't imagine a compromise for opening the frame up was ever intended (even though it seemed to come out that way).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Weta Workshop stuff is REALLY long too. Unfortunately, this bit annoys me a great deal because either Richard Taylor is reading from a script or he just always talks like he's reading from a script and giving PR because he doesn't seem natural at all, even when it's shots in the one-on-one interviews. That just kind of urks me when everyone else is so relaxed and natural.
In everything I've seen him on, he has the same strange way of speaking. It first got to me when watching the 10 min behind-the-scenes preview on the 2 disc release. He sounds like he's reading a poem. I don't know if I find it funny or annoying.:)

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I think its just his natural way of speaking. He speaks more or less the same way on the commentary and all of the extras.

It bugged me at first, but you get used to it.

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Ron! I know you've heard this a hundreds of time already, but... GREAT REVIEW! Very comprehensive and thorough! Thanks for taking the time to do a fantastic job.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I met and spoke briefly with Richard Taylor at this year's San Diego Comicon. His manner of speaking on the DVD is a slightly more formal form of his normal conversational style. It's a bit unusual but not unpleasant.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've finished watching the movie, and I'm halfway through the first disc of the supplements. The EE set is so damn good it's unbelievable.
I can't believe Christopher Lee mentioned Tom Bombadil!!! :eek:

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I actually felt a bit sorry for Christopher Lee while watching the supplements and listening to the cast commentaries because it's mentioned a few times how he'd always wanted to play Gandalf and even had Tolkien's approval to do it or something. Just kind of sad. :frowning: Oh well, he roxxors as Saruman anyway :)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I, like Stephen, met Richard Taylor at Comic-Con this year. The man is just awesome, no doubts about it. I actually like the way he speaks, as he is clearly enthused to be a part of this project. Although I can understand how you can find his NZ accent a bit weird. It's amazing that he'd take the time out from what is probably an insane postproduction schedule to over see the WETA booth at the convention to make sure they had their best face forward. Bless him!

-Chuck

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
It is me or does the layer change on disc 2 occur at a really odd location? All of the discs where I've noticed the change have it at the very end of a given scene. It seems that the layer change on disc 2, however, occurs about 1 second after a scene change. It's somewhat distracting (but not much) to have it cut to the new scene then suddenly stop while it changes layers.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I had the afternoon off and finally watched the LOTR:EE. I wasn't a big fan of the theatrical film, though I certainly liked it. I just felt it was too long and I didn't connect to the characters.
So why I do absolutely love the film now that it is even longer? I really fell for this movie on this viewing. Maybe it's the extra character moments(Sean Bean's character is so much more effective to me now, as is Grimli)that added emotional resonance; maybe it's the added music, some of which was so beautiful that it gave me chills. Or perhaps it was the absolutely stunning audio and video(played on my new Panasonic RP82). Whatever it was(probably a combination of everything, plus being in the right mood), my admiration for this film has multiplied just from this one viewing. This DVD is a tremendous achievement, and the film is as good as movies get.
I can't wait to watch it again, or to see TTT.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
LOL!!!!! OK, this may not be the funniest comment on the DVD, but it's the funniest I've heard yet. It's the cast commentary in Rivendell when Ian McKellen is talking about Ian Holm wanting prosthetics for his old age makeup and not a mask, and Ian says, "And I took one look at him and said, 'But Ian you look just like Judi Dench's mother."
:D LOL!!! I was on the floor! Though I'm afraid I will never be able to watch that scene again without thinking about that.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I also "liked" the theatrical cut, but love the EE. The fleshing out of the characters and such makes it a whole different movie experience for me. I'm glad I went ahead and got it. Oh yeah, and the DTS track is amazing also.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chazz, I met R.T. too! Yeah he's awesome! He's such a friendly guy, and I stopped by to talk to him every single day. He finally gave me a Weta eye of Sauron badge, a TTT poster, and signed it! He's great, I hope he's there next year. :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just started watching Disc 4 of the supplements and there seems no end to this at all. lol
They even have the accident where Sean Austin, Sam goes into the water and hurts his foot. Great to have that on the dvd, just because it is there. simply love the location footage as well.
on to more watching now
:emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Not much to add other than I love the suite of music that plays while the fan club member listing scrolls by.
Hopefully this too will find it's way to the complete score listing someday.
Simply awesome!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks