What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor

The scene you mention is intact in the Extended Edition. The title is not present, as this scene does not immediately follow the Prologue. I don't think the phrase "60 years" is in the dialog explicitly in the Extended Edition but you do have a sense of a lot of time having passed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the extended version last night and I have to say the video quality is outstanding. The darker scenes are outright stunning - great shadow detail. There is an improvement over the theatrical version.

The DTS is just impressive. A very dynamic and strong track.

This is a reference quality disc(s).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Finally managed to see the Extended Edition last night.

Simply gorgeous and beautiful print. The added scenes just make it seem more fluent, and is over before you know it. I just had to laugh when Gimli talks about the gift he received.

Now time for disc 3

cheers

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the First documentary about Tolkien himself which was a true eye opener as I had not known much about his early life, so the B&W footage of London at the turn of the 20 th century was an eye opener. It was also fascinating to learn that he started to write about Middle Earth in the trenches of WWI, and think about purchasing these books such as Silmarrlion. Is this a good book to begin with or do I need to start with something completely different.
Thanks for listening, and now back to the dvd
:emoji_thumbsup:

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
It was also fascinating to learn that he started to write about Middle Earth in the trenches of WWI, and think about purchasing these books such as Silmarrlion. Is this a good book to begin with or do I need to start with something completely different.
If you have already read The Lord of the Rings then The Silmarillion is a good follow up. However, it is a book big in scale and not for everyone.
It is a fascinating book since what Tolkien did by writing it, was to create a complete mythology which he could use as a background for The Lord of the Rings. It encompasses over 30,000 years of detail history, from the creation of Ea --what was later to become Middle Earth, to the end of the War of the Ring, which culminates with The Return of the King.
It is shock-full of names and places, and the trick is not to focus so much in memorizing them all, but to focus on the story, which is amazing.
Reading it though does give you a much better appreciation and understanding to The Lord of the Rings. For example, the chapter of Beren and Luthien alone (which incidentally is mentioned on the Extended Edition, when Aragorn is singing), is as fascinating and enthralling as The Lord of the Rings.
Definitely a good read.

Mattias Stridsman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattias
I think there will be a 4 hours cut sometimes when HD-DVD will be released.
I have a Swedish DVD-Magazine ("Allt om DVD") in front of me right now with an interview with PJ (translated):
DVD: What was the challenge in cutting the first 4½ hour version?
PJ: It never was 4 hours and 30 minutes. There never was a version that long. The longest I've seen probably was around 3 hours and 40 minutes.

This surprises me because if I remember correctly PJ stated before FOTR was released that there was a 4 hours cut that he was quite fond of.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
This mythical 4hr 30min cut was always a rough cut - never a releasable movie. If you watch the editoral feature on Disc #4, which is very enjoyable and informative in many ways, they describe how they started editing FOTR by assembling all the selected takes sequentially into a very rough cut (at least 4+ hours), and then they started cutting it into a real movie from there.
That feature also gives great insight into what and why they decided to cut speficic material from the theatrical version. (They were aiming for a Frodo-centric film)
So I wouldn't hold my breath for any 4hr cut of FOTR to ever be released. Maybe a few minutes extra for some ultimate box-set at most, otherwise I think this extended cut is all we are going to get. People tend to forget that footage is usally cut for a very good reason - its either bad or redundant.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
So I wouldn't hold my breath for any 4hr cut of FOTR to ever be released. Maybe a few minutes extra for some ultimate box-set at most, otherwise I think this extended cut is all we are going to get. People tend to forget that footage is usally cut for a very good reason - its either bad or redundant.
Exactly. One must remember a bulk of the additional footage that made up a 4hr 30 rough length was really just a lot of footage to ensure they were covering their tracks as they went along. It's that situation where you'll shoot something and probably know upon shooting it that it probably won't make any cut, it's just something to have should you be in a tight spot and need something to turn to, which on films of these scale is never a bad thing to have.

The Council of Elrond probably remains the biggest scene shot for FOTR in which a large bulk of the footage is still not given to us.

Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Frank L
thanks for the advice as I went out and bought the Silmarrlion today and should start reading it very soon.
cheers
Oscar

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the phrase "60 years" is in the dialog explicitly in the Extended Edition but you do have a sense of a lot of time having passed.
actually, I do remember Gandalf mentioning 60 years to Frodo. I believe its when Gandalf and Frodo are in Bag End.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I finally watched 'some' of the EE last night and the dts track is hands down superior to the over-blown dd track. The bass is much more balanced with the rest of the sound track, it's tighter and cleaner. It's also more spacious sounding and less localized. Excellent dts track. This epic deserved a better sound track and it finally has it. I'm very happy. Now, if I could find the time to sit and watch the movie.
I assume you are talking about the EE DVD DTS track versus the DD track on the previously issued theatrical cut. The DD track on the new EE is also very good and a huge improvement over the prior release.

Regards,

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I went out and bought the Silmarrlion today and should start reading it very soon.
Sweet. Just remember when you come to the chapter on Belariand and its realms that it does finally start getting easier to read after that. I've known people to choke on that chapter and set the thing aside which is a shame since the rest of the book is really excellent.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I assume you are talking about the EE DVD DTS track versus the DD track on the previously issued theatrical cut. The DD track on the new EE is also very good and a huge improvement over the prior release.
Yes, I was talking about the two separate releases, but I was curious about the dd track on the EE release, good to hear it has been improved.
Peace Out~:D

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Got thru the EE Friday and Saturday, started Appendix I last night. One thing that struck me during the Pre-Visualization segment was the aspect ratio of all of the pre-viz sketches and storyboards. CLEARLY PJ and co. envisioned this film with a ratio 2.35:1 long before a single frame was shot, which to me was a statement that the Super35-based full frame version is NOT a "have it both ways compromise" as some might think. Maybe other directors shoot Super35 films with both versions in mind, but at least for this film it does not seem to be the case.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Maybe other directors shoot Super35 films with both versions in mind, but at least for this film it does not seem to be the case.
To shoot for two aspect ratios would be to compromise both. Super 35 gives filmmakers more flexibility when re-framing for 4:3 video, but they would drive themselves crazy trying to compose for both while making the film. That's analogous to why I tend to prefer 4:3 presentations of TV shows such as Buffy and X-Files that are usually composed for a 4:3 center extraction of a "protected for 16:9" frame.

Regards,

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I prefer the new Council of Elrond bit, but I agree that Gandalf's voice is nearly drowned out, and if you don't know the books, you have no idea what he's saying. I didn't care for the sound mix choices in that little part.
Unless you actually understand the Black Speech of Mordor, you're not going to understand what he's saying anyway.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching the pre viz part and was just astounded that the alternative opening was so well done. It seems that everytime I watch a new segment, it gets better and better.
now off to watch the Weta Workshop stuff

Al_S

Second Unit
I just watched this yesterday and thought the sound was outstanding. I only have the basic LOTR with a DD soundtrack. Did they boost the sound on this DVD because I was surprised how loud it really was? This is the best DVD I've seen and heard this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks