What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Great review Ron:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
I have one question though if I may. Do both versions that are coming out have the added scenes on them? This may be a stupid question but there is two 4 disk sets coming out for what I know. One is I believe what you just reviewed which will be selling around 30 bucks, the other I have seen is the Collector Gift Set which I think will sell around 50 dollars. Dose anyone know for sure what the difference in these set are?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
joe, i don't think there's any difference between the 4-disc set that comes by itself and the 4-disc set that comes with the gift set. you just get more lotr stuff with the gift set. that'd be a lot of work for new line to make two versions of the 4-disc set, at least that's how i see it...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dose anyone know for sure what the difference in these set are?
Joe, the Gift Set includes the 4-disc set exactly as Ron described. In addition, it contains a 5th DVD which is an
expanded version of the National Geographic special on LotR, some LotR trading cards, and (coolest of all) a pair of Argonath bookends (the Argonath being the huge statues the Fellowship passes on their trip down the river).
There's much discussion in several earlier threads. Here's one with pictures:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=74485

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Great review, one thing i would like to know though, is a transfer comparison to the first release. For example, is the pq better? some examples, also what is the new score like?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
is new line offering a rebate for those who buy both sets like disney did with pearl harbor?
My copy of the 2-disc set came with a rebate coupon I can use to get $5 back with the 4-disc set, or $10 back with the gift set. Look in the coupon book packaged inside the DVD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just for comparison, the Pearl Harbor Vista Series 4 disc dvd set did include the stuff from the original 2 disc release...at least the trailers, music video and other docs if memory serves correct.

Ron stated then PH:Vista could be the dvd of the year and it's great...but this set certainly looks every bit as detailed...maybe more. And, FOTR is a better movie. This Summer and Fall has given us some great dvd's with superb transfer quality and extras like Pearl Harbor Vista, Monster, Inc., AOTC, and FOTR-Ex!

Can't wait!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
DVD of the year?

Thanks for the indepth review and the time it must have taken to do it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ron - amazing review. An absolutely heroic effort. Your fingers must be worn to the bone after all that typing. Go have a beer! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh yeah - you didn't happen to watch the 15 minutes of fan club credits at the end, did you? ;) I wonder how many HTF names are in there??

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Has i haven't seen the movie yet. I put off buying the first version for this one. So im probably the last person on Middle earth to have seen it.
Nope... first said I'd wait for the DVD, then heard about the special release with DTS... (one more month:crazy:)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My copy of the 2-disc set came with a rebate coupon I can use to get $5 back with the 4-disc set, or $10 back with the gift set. Look in the coupon book packaged inside the DVD.
thanks for the info. i was asking because i don't have the dvd. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm ordering the gift set tommorow night. Does anybody know if it's limited edition? I'd hate to pre-order this late in the game and not get it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ron, isn't the picture of the box art you posted the old box art? The one here shows the older design with "The Lord of the Rings" in large print and "The Fellowship of the Ring" in small print. The new design reverses this and emphasizes "The Fellowship of the Ring" as the proper title of the film.

A few of the extra scenes you described sound like scenes that were in the original cut (Frodo remembering Gandalf's words at the end, for example), unless they are changed/extended. You did say you were going just from memory, so that's understandable.

About the title of this thread: While in my mind I consider this a director's cut (and I'm sure it will be remembered as the definitive version of this film), Peter Jackson has stated that he wouldn't call this a "director's cut". I know it's just a technicality, for whatever that's worth.

And why not "highly recommended"?

Thanks for the review!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
"Director's Cut"??

Who cut the version that was released in theaters?

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Very good review Ron, even so it took forever for the site to get back up to read it. Wonder if the Gollum would call this set his "precious" ^^?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Great review Ron. And of course you realise you're going to be losing two more days over the next couple of years? :D

Ed E Lee

Agent
One might look at this 4-disc package as being complete overkill for the average fan. Fortunately, it isn't the average fan that this set is geared towards.
or that his head is still spinning from the review, and he just forgot to put it on the title. :D
All I know is that I'm getting it, and it'll rock da hizhouse!!
Great extensive job, Ron! I know it'll take me aeons to get through all those discs. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks