What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Lilo & Stitch" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Having seen this movie three times in the theater, I concur with Ron's review of the movie! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
One of the best things about this movie is the stunningly beautiful watercolor-painted backgrounds. I think that's much of the charm of this movie.
Anyway, in my opinion the best part of the movie is...
...the final photo montage at the very end. That sums up everything GREAT about this movie.
I'm definitely getting this movie on DVD. I'm hoping for a two-disc Collector's Edition DVD set, too. :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Amen Ray on your spoiler...

Some of those are ones that I would have loved to have seen in the movie...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To confuse you even more...

I temporarily restored the original image
files because you really need to see how good
the screenshots are here.

I'll keep them at the original compression size
for the next few days.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I _LOVED_ Lilo and Stitch in the theaters. It's my favorite Disney Animated feature since Mulan. I'd be buying this DVD regardless of the review. I'm glad to hear that it's well done.

I do hope I can look forward to a 2 disc CE with DTS next year after the Oscars. I wouldn't mind sooner, mind you.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to get this disc. This, and "The Emperor's New Groove" are the best films to come out from Disney since "Beauty and the Beast".

To anyone who hasn't seen this film yet. Go get it. NOW. You can't afford not to have it.

(And buy "Emperor's", BTW!)

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definately pick this up and repick it up if a two-disc comes around.

I saw the film in the Disney animation studios with the directors and animators and some of the cast. I even asked the director's afterward so I could sound smart and authoratative here. 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio for this flick.

And it's the first watercolor background flick since "Dumbo," not "Bambi."

Thanks for the great review, Ron. Again, you remind me of something I need to get.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just saw this movie for the first time on DVD and wow! What a magnificent piece of art! It’s really a long time that I have not seen anything from Disney that has completely satisfied me. This did! And by long time I really mean long time, maybe 5,6 years!
I’m embarrassed to say that I’m still imitating Stitch’s voice! :D
Also one thing. This is not in reference to Ron’s review. I’ve seen it elsewhere too. I don’t understand why people say that this is a new thing and it’s without CGI. Well, “Lilo and Stitch” is no different and still has many CG animation (yes even 3D CG animation!)
So if this movie looks great, refreshing and different, it’s not because there is really any change in the tools they used, but because of the filmmakers' talent in storytelling. :emoji_thumbsup:

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Once again, Ron's review has convinced me to try a title I wasn't really considering.

However, because of Disney's track record for glitchy discs, I will be waiting for others to buy first to see if this title will follow suit.

JimmyK

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Lilo and Stitch is one of the all-time best Disney animated features, IMO. Truly entertaining for young-uns and grown-uns alike! A must see!

Jan

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I reaaaaallyy wanted to wait for the SE (which will inevitably come) but after reading a few reviews and of course this one I can feel my mouse pointer and web browser moving to the next dvdretailer and order it. somebody stop me!!:frowning:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Go ahead and order it. I found this article here , and I'm still hoping tgrund will provide a link to the original source, but I know he's not blowing smoke.
Here's the info:
No Special Edition for Lilo & Stitch DVD
The extra special collector's edition of Lilo & Stitch will not be released on January 28, according to Jim Hill. "Michael Eisner himself earlier this year pulled the plug on the 2-disc deluxe collector's edition of Lilo & Stitch. And worse than that, the Walt Disney Company is supposedly toying with completely abandoning the 2-disc collector's edition format for all of its future animated titles. These proposed cutbacks of any additional features to be included in future animated releases from Buena Vista Home Entertainment are coming because the Mouse is trying once again to economize. According to Disney's own market research, only 8% of the DVD buyers out there are interested in adult-aimed features (i.e. extras such as directors' commentaries, character design galleries, deleted scenes, etc. ) on their discs. The other 92% of DVD buyers are kids and parents who just want the movie. Who are perfectly happy with a DVD that just shows the film and nothing more. Disney's cost savings--should Buena Vista Home Entertainment actually opt to go forward with adopting just the single disc format for all the future DVD releases of the company's animated classics--could be considerable. Reportedly saving the company as much as $7 million in worldwide production costs per title." Which means we'd be missing Lilo & Stitchi extras like a 20-minute tour of the Florida animation studio, 7 long deleted scenes from the film, full galleries, a directors' commentaryand a 45-minute long "On Location with the Directors" featurette.
:frowning:
*NOTE - the IGN boards are subscribers only, but trust me, it's there*
EDIT - Original source is www.jimhillmedia.com . (Thanks Jason)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And how long until we hear Eisner say:

"You know Kids and Parents don't need Widescreen Anamorphic Transfers they are perfectly happy having the movie fill the screen ! We can save 4 million by releasing this title P&S only"

Mark my words folks this is what he'll be saying next.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I won't believe it till we see what happens when the television series begins and the direct-to-video sequel happens. Being the fact that this is one of their best grossing titles in recent memories...or hell, this year...
Either way, they have me for both if the SE happens...:)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
And how long until we hear Eisner say:

"You know Kids and Parents don't need Widescreen Anamorphic Transfers they are perfectly happy having the movie fill the screen ! We can save 4 million by releasing this title P&S only"
Then what happens when everyone has a widescreen TV? What will Eisner say then?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Then what happens when everyone has a widescreen TV? What will Eisner say then?
Then disney will produce fullscreen TV with built in mickey mouse or so.
Lets wait until we get it official though. I'm always happy to believe inside info on upcomming DVDs yet for bad news I prefer having the official statement.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Ya know, so many lame a** flash-in-the-pan movies are bloated with extras that I just don't care about, and then labeled a "Special Edition." Ha! But Disney animated 'classics" are a fairly unique beast, and deserve to have special editions.

I'm all for releasing a stripped-down movie only version quickly (as they did) and taking a good while longer to eventually release a *truly* special edition. Doing so would give them a lot of double-dippers which I'm sure would justify the extra cost.

Remembering how good Disney's premiere Laser Disc releases eventually were makes me think that they'll never totally abandon the SE market entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks