What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Legends of the Fall" SUPERBIT (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am just wondering if anyone has the original release and whether or not it has any good extras that I might miss out on if I was to go with the superbit?
I'm most definitely NOT a fan of this movie, but the SE DVD offered a nice set of supplements. Two audio commentaries, an isolated score, some deleted scenes, and a few other items - it's a good little package...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Philip where can I check your reviewing credentials?
I am just looking for some other reviews so I can
just feel out the type of movie that impresses you.
I feel you have been a bit harsh.
I have no "credentials" to offer, I'm just a movie fan. And it was enthusiastic threads like this that made me suffer through this megadisaster in the first place despite people I trust telling me that they hated it. Just trying to warn people who've never seen this movie.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
From my informal observations I've come to the conclusion that there are those who love Legends of the Fall and those who hate it. There seems to be no middle ground, so a rental is advised. I'll admit that in the great scheme of things Legends of the Fall is not that great of a film, but it is a personal favorite.

I've also noticed that The Saint has a similar love/hate response from people, and it is also a favorite film of mine.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well LOTF is better than The Saint to me, and I like The Saint. This is a very good movie I loved it. I've been procrastinating getting this on dvd for awhile. Finally my procrastination has paid off.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Philip where can I check your reviewing credentials?
Actually, that statement did come across as a "dig"...and a harsh one at that. Last time I looked, this was a FORUM for all members to express their opinions, favorable or unfavorable, without having to have "credentials". (If that were the case, it would be a lonely spot on the net.)

That said, I respectfully disagree with Philip's worthy opinion and will stand among those who LOVE this film. It was one of the first DVDs I owned and I will certainly pick up the new SB release, having sold my original upon hearing of this pending re-release. For the most part, I've been impressed with the MAJORITY of the Superbit releases. There are a few (Anaconda) that look no better than the prior release, yet the DTS sound was worth the upgrade (IMO).

No one hates having to "double dip" more than I do....but this film is definitely worthy of a Superbit release. I only wish it were a 2-disc treatment with Special Features included. The cinematography is stunning, and the acting was superb - certainly Pitt's best to date.

Ron, I'm glad you finally had the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful film. You were right to award it a "Highly Recommended" tag. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I guess i'm really surprised by the distaste some have for this movie. I guess it's a matter of how it affects the individual? One of the reasons that I love this movie is that I find it "perfect" in everyway: script, cast, direction, cinematography, score, themes! A well told story that a lot of movies lack! I guess those of us who love this movie feel a special affinity with it!

David

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I think the reason this movie didn't resonate with me was because I felt that Brad Pitt's character was totally unsympathetic; he deserved whatever ill fate befell him, because he was a selfish jerk; and the fact that his actions caused so much grief for the rest of his family made him even less likeable. And yet the movie seemed to romanticize his character as somebody special.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Well LOTF is better than The Saint to me, and I like The Saint. This is a very good movie I loved it. I've been procrastinating getting this on dvd for awhile. Finally my procrastination has paid off.
Same for me. I may be one of the few members on the forum for which extras do NOTHING for me. Give me improved sound and picture every time because I don't have enough time in the day to watch all my DVD's AND the extras that go along with them. Hell, I usually only watch the extras or listen to the commentary on about 2% of all DVD's I purchase...only the top of the line personal favorites.

I have loved this movie since I first saw it. Julia Ormond is great in it and it's almost larger than life for me. I'm so glad I dragged my feet about getting it.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I may be one of the few members on the forum for which extras do NOTHING for me
got me a little touchy, father and son stories always do it for me. I don't know if the fact that I first saw this movie when I was 16 has any thing to do with it's impact on me. Still I was like Ron, totally taken by surprise by the quality of this film.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I guess for me that's the reason why I love his character as he was a "flawed" character. Then again I love WYATT EARP over TOMBSTONE (though I really like both) because Wyatt was portrayed as a flawed man, yet a hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks