What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Ladykillers (highly recommended) (1 Viewer)

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think I will give this one a try. If Coen Brother fans do not like this one as much, I'm pretty sure I'll like it. The Big Lebowski and O Brother are two of my least favorite movies ever. I can see why people liked them, but they didn't work for me at all.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I love all of their movies but I'd rank "Lebowski" and "O Brother" towards the bottom. In any case, they're both enormously popular among non-Coen fans, but among their actual fans, only "Lebowski" tends to rank high, "O Brother" is usually towards the bottom of any die-hard fan's list.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry.

I'll stick with Sir Alec on this one.

I'm beginning to feel that Tom Hanks is overexposed.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Anybody that watches this dvd needs to checkout this outtake reel. Very funny stuff with Tom Hanks in the background during some of these outtakes, barely able to stay in character without laughing.

Crawdaddy

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any trailers on this disc? Not just for this film, but for other ones?

Clayton

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Couldn't agree more, RAH. Hanks is looking like 0 for three this year with this one, The Terminal, and The Polar Express, which is looking really awful from the trailers.

George See

Second Unit
I was surprised to see how few copies of this my local blockbuster had. A Coen brothers film with Tom Hanks in it....you'd think this would have been a big hit. I know this was't a huge box office hit, but my blockbuster actually had more copies of the Dirty Dancing sequel then this....that's just bad :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick this up as soon as I get some money, if only because I've always wanted to see Tom Hanks play a villain. (Road to Perdition doesn't count.)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Big Lebowski is one of my all time favourites, and while this doesn't reach the same level for me, I still very much enjoyed it. Great characters, a superb performance by Hanks, beautiful porduction design, smartly chosen soundtrack. It's a great film. The critics were insane.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I finally got around to watching this film the other day, and bought the DVD blind because it's the Coens.

This was the first Coen movie that I can truly say stunk! I'm debating whether to sell it, but I'm one of those crazy collectors that likes to have the full cannon by a particular artist, but I don't see myself ever watching this disk again. I have watched all of their other movies many many times, but this one is going to be a shelf protector.

If I get in the mood, I'll definitely watch the original first.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"This was the first Coen movie that I can truly say stunk!"

Thats how I felt about Intolerable Cruelty. I left the theater heartbroken - I couldnt believe that was a Coen Bros film

"Dorr may be the greatest Coen character of all time."

My 2nd favorite after The Dude, replacing Everett.

""O Brother" is usually towards the bottom of any die-hard fan's list."

Not mine(see the signature). Its one of my favorites.Although the likes of Fargo or Millers Crossing are a better films, I watch O Brother more often for the fun performances.

And when it comes to dialogue, no one even comes close to the Coens:)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Just rented it...but I regret it. I should have bought this movie.

I love that the Coens put some kind of beautiful imagery in their films...

I also liked Intolerable Cruelty, and Fargo is (and continues to be) their best.

Recommended for all Coen fans :emoji_thumbsup:

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
My appreciation for this film grows with each viewing, much the same way as with "The Big Lebowski." Definite repeat value here. And the brief football sequence is a Coen masterpiece.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I love this movie. :D

"... Mountain Water." "Mountain GIRL." :laugh:

I rented it, watched it twice, and thinking about buying it.

I give it a thumbs up. :emoji_thumbsup:

(The whole bit with the island of garbage, I thought, is genius.)

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also a Cohen Bros fan and really liked this one despite all the bad press. I think it incorporates lots of elements that have worked in their movies before while not drawing as much attention to themselves and resulting in a better subtler movie. I also liked Intolerable Cruelty (though not as much) but for the same reasons.

The Bros are making the jump from arthouse to multiplex, but in a way that stays true to themselves and doesn't alienate fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks