What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
b] takes us on a different and somewhat off beat journey offering several laughs along the way. In typical noir fashion, the film is voice-over narrated by Robert Downey Jr.'s, Harry Lockhart character. Clearly his style makes it apparent he's talking to a movie audience in a tongue-in-cheek faashion. Occasionally, Hollywood uses offbeat narration, but this is flippant, in a welcoming and refreshing kind of way. _ _ Harry is a two-bit thief who breaks into a casting call in an attempt to escape the police. Upon his arrival in Hollywood, he is teamed with a P.I. named "Gay Perry

Robert Downey brings the right mix of cynicism and confidence. Val Kilmer adds a a flair of arogance to his part as the enigmatic Gay Perry. Michelle Monaghan assumes the femme fatale role. The plot moves along at a rapid pace and periods of time go by without Harry's voice offering comments or observations. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang isn't necessarily an original piece of noir however the end result in an entertaining one.

The Feature: 4/5
:star::star::star::star:

Video:
Presented in it's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, this transfer which is enhanced for widescreen is excellent. Colors are bright and vivid and the level of saturation is perfect. Blacks were deep while whites were contrasted nicely always showing clean and stark. Image detail was very impressive.

Film grain was all but non-existent however, there is a gorgeous level of dimensionality and texture present here - very nice indeed. The film is immaculate and basically free of any dirt or other annoying blemishes - no surprise there considering this is a recent release. Authoring seems to have been handled very well as compression errors were non-existent.

Video: 4/5

Audio:
The audio soundtrack is a DD 5.1 encoded track and it packs a nice little punch. Most importantly, dialogue was always bold and intelligible. The film is accompanied by some music here and there and the soundstage is satisfactorily wide. No more, no less. In terms of dynamics, there are a few action sequences which are handled well.

While the track is 5.1, the surrounds are limited to only a couple of scenes requiring filler and ambiance. LFE kicks in on a couple of occasions but nothing of great significance. The track is clean and free of any hiss or other noisy distractions and the overall fidelity of the track is natural.

Audio: 3.5/5
:star::star::star:1/2

Special Features:
Not much here in terms of special features but they do include:

A Commentary with Val Kilmer, Robert Downey Jr. and Shane Black. While not what I'd call the crème de la crème of commentaries, the trio banter back and forth while they discuss various scenes all the while not seeming to take life very seriously. On a personal note however, it's good to see Downey Jr. back on his game. He's a talented fella - let's hope he can keep everything on track.

Next up, a Gag Reel which includes a couple of funny scene as well as a few that aren't so funny. Duration: 4:18 minutes.

Last, but not least, the Theatrical Trailer closes out the special features and appears in perfect condition. Duration: 2:15 minutes.

Special Features: 3/5
:star::star::star:

**Special Features rated for the quality of supplements, not the quantity**

Final Thoughts:
Robert Downey's star is once again rising in Hollywood. His latest vehicle is this quirky noirish comedy-thriller. Downey puts forth not only his comedic talents but his amazing acting ability shows through making this film a truly enjoyable watch and the chemistry between Kilmer and Downey is terrific. The movie is narrated (voiceover) by Downey from his character's point of view which adds to the quirkiness of the film. If you’re looking for a change of pace from the regular crime drama or predictable thriller, give this one a look.

Aside from an interesting yet uncharacteristic popcorn flick, Warner has provided yet another near flawless transfer and added a couple of neat special features.

Overall Rating: 4/5 (not an average)

Recommended...!!

Release Date: June 13th, 2006

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review. Not enough people saw this fresh, very entertaining film upon its release. The inclusion of a commentary more or less clinches a purchase for me.

--Jefferson Morris

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed it in the theater, too. Offbeat compared to the usual mystery thrillers we get nowadays. The title sequence is very quirky and unusual, too. I liked it. Definitely one to be added to my collection.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Wasn't there supposed to be a documentary called "Long Shadows Sharp Tongue: A Noir Documentary" on the DVD at one point? Odd.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Onion AV club has an interesting interview with Black that talks about how this picture got made. He dropped so far out of sight for a while that he had a lot of trouble getting studios to take him seriously when he reappeared.

Nice review, Herb! I'll have to check this out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is a will-buy, I had one of the better viewing experiences at the theaters with this film because the whole audience was "getting" it, and LTMFAO.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I was holding out for the R1 release as well because of the promised documentary, from the original details posted elsewhere it was supposed to be quite long and well produced rather than one of these making of fluff pieces you usually get.

May well get the UK R2 here as after only a couple of months out is already in the bargain bin (saw it in one store for under USD10 this weekend). Is only a vanilla disk and we do miss the commentary though.

I'm suprised Warner did this if they intend to double dip later. They have done that with Ocean's 12 here in the UK, although I dont think the 2 disk release we got sometime after the original has been released in R1.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
This film is a must see for all fans of dirty shirt action movies like Die Hrd Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout. I walked out of the theater with a huge smile on my face.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I have been dying to see this since it played in theatres last October. It never came anywhere around me and waiting for this DVD release has felt like an eternity. I'll definitely be buying this ASAP!!!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night.

A VERY entertaining film. Glad to have Shane Black back.

And I was surprised by Michelle Monaghan, I thought she was the weak link in the otherwise very good MI3, but is quite good here.

Kilmer and Downey give two of their best performances in quite a while.

And, the film has probably the funniest scene in any movie all last year (a scene in a hospital is all I'll say).

I'd also highly recommend it.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
This movie was VERY entertaining! I usually don't like those "we're quirky and we know it" type of movies, but Shane really pulled it off here.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
What a fantastic little movie. Kilmer and Downey were hilarious and the script -- endlessly quotable. (My wife and I were doing lines 5 minutes after it ended.)

SEE THIS NOW.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
EASILY one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a long time. The jokes worked well, occasionally the timing seemed like it came straight from a TV sitcom (this time that's a compliment.) For me the movie never had a slow spot. I can actually say I enjoyed every minute of the movie and THAT is extremely rare for me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
BTW Warner is dropping this on a DVD/HD DVD dual disk next tuesday the 20th, will be one of the first 'new releases' I get on that format when its available. Thanks for the review, looking forward to it now!

Sam

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Great flick. Loved the chemistry between all of the cast, fantastic photography, and it features my favorite John Ottman score since 'The Usual Suspects'. I'd love to see a follow-up though I'm sure that it's doubtful to happen. Shand Black *really* needs to do more work.

BTW, am I the only one disapponted the movie title didn't start with an "L"?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this. Great film. EVeryone is great in it, and Downey is perfect.

Lots of laugh outloud moments. Very glad I got this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks