What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: KING KONG - Peter Jackson's Production Diaries (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wow. It's amazing that the promotional material can flip flop into actualy product. They'll probably try to tell me the back-ups I made on my HD are illegal copyright infringement now, too...:rolleyes

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Eric, as the pictures showed, this is two single-sided discs.

Continue to hop.

- Steve

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
From Steve's review...

This was my concern, but apparently, as I learned in this thread, this set is going to be the only home for these diaries.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yea Travis i skip a bunch of things because of price, transfer, disc problems...so on. To tell you the truth if i didn't find a reason myself to skip something i would own to much crap. Sure hope you dont think anyone, or myself were jumping on you. $27 to $35 is a bit of a steep price for an extras disc, but i am willing to buy, for this movie. As a matter of fact i felt the 3 disc Wizard of Oz was a rip off. I would have been just as happy with the 2 disc in hind sight. But you know YMMV.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Which I guess means the final tally will be eight discs. :)

Just for the record, I don't think anyone knows for certain if this is the last place we will see these diaries. Knowing Universal's tendency to repackage, I would not be surprised to see a bundle of everything down the line. But Jackson himself did say that this was a separate effort by the DVD team. Is Peter Jackson our most prolific DVD supplentarian, or what?

- Steve

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

AND he is the one who hasn't ONCE repeated bonus content from one DVD set to another.

My guess is these PD won't be available again on DVD.
Hi-Def, sure, but not on DVD.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm a little disappointed that -- considering how full the discs are (nearly 4 hours between the two of them) and the less than stellar video quality (DV HD) to begin with -- these are on single-layer discs, but I am still all over this set. I can't wait.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:confused: Two single layer discs.....sounds like MGM's Escape from New York...what's the point aside from an illusion of generous content?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Oh, that's easy... over an extra gig of storage (and hence, actual content) that would have been missing with a single DVD-9.

That is also the difference between marginal video quality and good video quality.

- Steve

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well yes, that's true, but my point was if they were really concerned with quality they could have gone with two DVD-9's and increased the BR even more at around 2 hrs. per disc (something I wish MGM had done with Escape). Considering the source material it wouldn't have hurt.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Thanks! I misread a couple posts about DVD-18, and jumped the gun. Universals use of these discs makes me so angry that I have a hard time controlling my temper. I deleted my post.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I saw the movie yesterday at a screening and it is so AWESOME I wouldn't know where to begin, and this not from Peter Jackson's most ardent fan. So, I have to say, this set will probably become a must-have for me.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Picked this up today at Costco...

I think the packaging feels cheap-as-hell. I guess I was expecting something harder on the outside like say: the Scarface gift set from Universal (which is by and far the prettiest DVD set ever made, by the way). Instead it's almost paper thin with a cardboard box inside with King Kong written on it... whoop dee doo.

I am a total Peter Jackson whore, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the contents... but just letting you people that might be purchasing it for the packaging to look again.

PS: I gave out a hearty laugh when I saw "NO. 159,xxx" as the "Limited Edition" number. LOL. Limited to however many they can print!

PPS: The lithgraphs are the nicest thing in the set, I'm definitely gonna frame these puppies.

PPPS: Costco has this for $25.59... and they had 5 total copies at my store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks