What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Arthur,QT may have been going for a grittier look hense a bit of softness(Consider the films inspirations - maybe he'll touch on this in a future commentary)

Remember what happened with Animal House when Landis said the transfer looked way too good(sharp/clean). He thought the film should look dirtier and he softened the image.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'd go along with what you're saying, those who've said maybe the softness is intentional, except that it wasn't soft at all in the theaters. It was razor-sharp. I understand what intentional softness is (diffusion, filters, etc.) - that's not what's happening in this transfer. The close-ups in Volume 2 all look fine to me - it's the medium and wide shots that lose a lot of definition.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Arthur is correct. In fact, KB2 was one of my "reference" 35mm film experiences...color saturation was fantastic, resolution was outstanding, and sharpness was crisp. I saw the projected print from less than 1.5 screen widths in the theater and it looked sharper than the DVD viewed from farther away. As Arthur points out, close-ups aren't the issue, the filtering seems to affect one's perception of mid and far-ground shots most accutely. Not terrible...and the DVD is still satisfying...but doesn't make the "A" list of DVD transfers in terms of faithfullness to the film-print experience.

I had just reviewed KB1 on DVD when I went to see KB2 in theaters...so I paid very special attention to my experience and impressions of the projected film to aid in my KB2 review.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I just finished 8 hours of Kill Bill.

Part I, then Part II, twice.

I thought II was fine. It nicely compliments the tempo of II, it paces where you can appreciate the dialog. The action points in it are just as nicely done, but they aren't as intense or long as pt I. Pt II had symmetry screaming out the ass. The resolution of Ell, given her history with Pai Mei and the resolution of Bill as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks