What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got done watching this film.

I really didn't care for the first one (:star::star: ) and after seeing KB2 I'm ready to forget the first film all together. Everything I didn't like about the first one was fixed in the second film. Originally I had planned on rewatching part 1 but a friend at work said part 2 played better as a seperate movie and I certainly think it does. In fact, you really don't need to see the first film to enjoy and understand the second.

I'd give KB2 a full four star rating and now I'm really glad they were broken up. Yes, this is "one" movie but there is a major difference in the two.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It's funny you should say that, because I think that may be my favorite use of music ("About Her" by Malcolm McLaren, btw) in any of Tarantino's films. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that for Volume 2, the subtitles are within the film itself, unlike Volume 1, in which the subs are in the bottom letterbox matte. Hopefully for the director's cut of Vol 1 they will fix the subs.

Nkosi

Stunt Coordinator
I loved Vol. 1 and thought Vol. 2 was even better. Each film provided a distinct experience from the other. Vol. 1 was pure fun. Vol. 2 to me, was like a fine wine or a good meal. It went down slow and by the end provided an unbelievably satisfying experience.

Yet, I am still curious to see Kill Bill as one movie. I'm interested in seeing the path and journey The Bride travels both figuratively within the context of the movie AND stylistically with respect to tone and filmmaking. I want to literally see the change .

I think the tone of each Volume clearly correlates to The Bride's emotional connection to the hunted. While she was obviously close to Vernita Green and Oren-Ishii, those connections can only pale in comparison to her emotional attachment to her ex-lover
Bill, his brother
Budd, and her arch rival Elle Driver. Vol. 2 required a much more serious and visceral tone than Vol. 1. And I'm curious to see how both volumes play out as a whole juxtaposed to one another.

Derek Williams

Stunt Coordinator
After watching kill bill 1 & 2 in the same day. I feel they would work together wonderfully as a single movie. Put them together edited in chronological order and you have a complete film that fixes problem both file have as separate films. The deleted scene on the Vol.2 DVD would have been great in Vol.1 one or as a single movie. It did not work with Vol.2 because we already had a 70’s kung-fu part.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I love Kill Bill vol. 2 to death. It is one of my absolute favorite movies and I can not quite understand why people keep moaning about how boring this movie was. Sure it's dialogy compared to the first, but it's all such great writing and the scenes themselves move at a really brisk pace. I almost couldn't believe the movie was 2 hours long, it really felt like it was only 90 minutes.

Being able to watch the movies back to back as a whole is what I've been waiting for since the first movie premiered in theaters back in October. It's awesome now that I'll be able to do just that whenever I want. :)

BTW, one thing stood out after watching the extras on the DVD... Jesus H Christ, Robert Rodriguez is awesome on the guitar!!
I'd definitely by a CD from his band.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know the music that plays during the fight between Beatrix and Pai Mai when she first arrives at his school. It sounds like its from some 70's exloitation picture, but it's not on the soundtrack and I'm having trouble identifying it.

Also, if anyone wanted more of the music heard when Beatrix first starts prowling through Bill's house before the climax, a piece called Summertime Killer composed by Luis Bacalov for the Italian film RICATTO ALLA MALLA (1971), I'd highly recommend the Beretta 70 compilation

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...361021-6376110

Amazon's link allows you to listen to a handful of the cool tracks from this album.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Both of these films are absolutely incredible and they both offer totally different styles. I really like that the second one headed in a different direction. Bill as a boring old man? I don't think so. He was awesome. I liked his stories and thought his character was a wise man, a mentor and teacher like Pai Mei. I give 1 an A+ and 2 an A. I would have like to seen a little bit more action in 2 especially a lot more sword play but still a great film.
I have not read through the entire post, but is there any speculation on when the SE's/Directors cut will be coming out for these films? I am tempted to just rent 2 and wait to purchase the set.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I think these are both excellent movies, but vol. 2 has alot of edge enhancement. I cant remember if vol. 1 did or not, been a while since i watched it. Anyway, I refuse to upgrade these until hd versions are released, I won't pay a studio again for the same movie when they intentionally release an inferior product.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Brian, this is just a guess on my part, but from everything that shows up in the Vol. 2 final credits, I think Isaac Hayes' "Three Tough Guys" is the most likely candidate.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Brian, if you and I are thinking of the same scene, then that msic is indeed on the soundtrack; it's a bonus inclusion by the RZA, attached to the end of the last song on the CD.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Haggai

Thanks for the tip. You're right, and the bloody movie is in my collection! It didn't dawn on me even when I read the credits, and I actually have a copy of it. My version is called Uomini Dori (or Duri, maybe) and I picked it up in an Italian video store sell-off bin in Toronto a few years ago. Dubbed and no subs, unfortunately, with a badly color-copied sleeve in the case, but I ended up keeping it largely for Haye's music, which I think is some of his best (he's also in the film, which was likely called THREE TOUGH GUYS in the states). I suppose Tarantino's use of it in that sequence is just a nod to some of the kung-fu films that ripped it off too, back in the 70's.

Thanks again for setting me straight!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, the Wu-Tang music you're thinking of is in the final credits of Vol. 2, without the lyrics that show up on the version at the end of the soundtrack CD.

Brian, good to hear that I guessed right!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, for those who think VOL. 2 is boring, I just got done watching VOL. 1 for the first time in awhile, and it's actually paced just like 2 is, with slow stretches and so forth (like the animation sequence and the Hanzo sword-making segment). I think the reason so many VOL. 2 naysayers believe the first half is so much less boring is because the one thing that leaps out in your memory from it is the massive swordfight at the House of Blue Leaves. See the film again -- there are many parts comparable to the seemingly "slow" parts in VOL. 2 (like Budd's story, which is the key example many like to use).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I loved the deleted scene. Hopefully we'll get more on the big deluxe version.

I for one can't wait to see it as one film. I don't think it will be much longer than The Good, The Bad, & the Ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks