What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (RECOMMENDED) (2 Viewers)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I am usually partial to the version of the movie that is released theatrically.

There are times when a director is forced to cut certain things from a movie, and sometimes the movie is better for having the cuts.

Some would argue that if the cuts come at the hand of the MPAA that they aren't necessarily "good" cuts. I would argue that it requires the "artist" (in this case, the director) to be more "creative" in the way he/she tells the story.

I had a creative writing teacher in college who said that in most cases "less is more." I would tend to agree that this is true in many cases.

Some have said that the anime sequence (the origins of O-Ren Ishii) and B/W sequences (Uma filleting everyone) in the movie were done because those images would never have made it past the MPAA.

If the O-Ren Ishii origin sequences had been done "live action" they wouldn't have been nearly as artistically creative or interesting.

In the case of things going black-and-white when Uma is fighting -- I thought it was a very clever thing to do. She blinks her eyes and things go "grey." I thought it was an interesting touch and actually enhanced the artistic appeal of the movie.

Tarantino's movies are self-indulgent projects. "Kill Bill" may be the most self-indulgent of the bunch. He throws in everything but the kitchen sink into this film, and I can only imagine what lies in store for Volume 2.

I don't know when they might release a better version of Volume 1 on DVD. It might happen when Volume 2 is released or it might not.

I am still waiting for a version of "Pulp Fiction" that has a commentary track. QT's commentaries are very interesting and incredibly informative (see the "True Romance" commentary).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any comments on the level of detail in the Japanese release compared to the R1 release?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Where was the Master of the Flying Guillotine music cue used in Kill Bill?"

Im a Shaw Bros FREAK,and have been for over 20 years, but this is one film of theirs I never really cared for.I think Ive only seen it twice. It has been on Showtime or Action recently.(along with Five Deadly Venoms)

While I did notice a cue from 5 Deadly Venoms,the Green Hornet theme and Spaghetti Westerns, I didnt notice any FG music.

I love The Good The Bad & The Ugly music from the Vol2 trailer.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
How pathetic... you know I've only just noticed there are hardly any extras on this dvd. Shows how observant I am. I really thought this dvd would be packed, didn't QT say in one interview he's going to make this a special release? So it's just a taster then until it comes out in a 3-pack with vol.2, okay, shall I wait or should I take my pick from the various regions? Question is how badly do I want to see it again? :)

Really? :confused:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I think the current thought is that Q.T. has some more elaborate DVD plans for vol 1 & 2 after Vol. 2 is ready to emerge on DVD. Possibly a fancy SE with both films and lots of extras. Let's hope by the compressionists have figured out by then that the "filter" dial on their console is a *BAD* thing. I can hear them right now: "oh look Bob...this filter dial goes to eleven!" ;)

p.s. Steve, *love* your signature graphic. One of my all-time favorite moments in all of cinema.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Let's cease with any other such references! It's time to move on because this thread's purpose is for discussion of this dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

My only complaint with the cover is that "the 4th film from Quentin Tarantino" and "written and directed by Quenten Tarantino" is redundant. Uma Thurman should have been credited in the front.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Quick music question.

At the start of Chapter 14, the music in question starts and hits it peak when The Bride reveals herself and has Sofie hostage.

Its a chanting type of music, and I've searched the soundtrack but nothing comes up. Any help is greatly appreciated here.

I don't know if its been touched on yet, but the music cue from Guillotine happens at the 1 hour and 25min mark when O-Ren walks out of the House of Blue Leaves.

Its the same music cue for the entrance of the Master of the Flying Guilltoine character in the restaurant

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Why is O-Ren Ishii's backstory done in Anime fashion? Because it's cheaper to draw the early seventies than to buy period costumes!

And am I mistaken, or did I hear the Willhelm Scream not once, but twice in the Crazy-88's scene?

Damn the scream! I never knew about until the scream thread, now I find it everywhere!

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

I'll have to look at it when I get home, but I seem to remember the insert being of normal size. and it looks nice next to my other QT films (even if "the 2nd film from Quentin Tarantino" and "the 3rd film from Quentin Tarantino" are in Digipaks)

Will Vol 2 be "the 5th film from Quentin Tarantino" I thought they would have dropped 4th, once they spilt the film in 2.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
She's learning english, so we'll probably see more of her in the near future.

I agree that she's pretty damn badass in the 5 minutes she's on screen in Battle Royale. She also kills a boy the most violent and evil way possible (if you haven't seen the film, think of the most painful part of your body you'd want stabbed [assuming you're male] :) )

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Alex wrote:The answer is no.

On the subject of the women in the cast, I also find Go Go compelling in a kind of scary way (and I'm not even into the Japanese schoolgirl fetish). If I had been that guy at the bar with the bad teeth, my entrails would definitely have also ended up on the floor.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, there's not an unattractive inch on Uma. If you've never seen Dangerous Liaisons ... well, do so.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Does anyone else think Sophie favors Monica Bellucci a bit?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

Your ears are not mistaken! I was going to resurrect that thread after watching this again yesterday. My God, it's at least 50 years old now, let's record something new already!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks