What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Jurassic Park 3" (1 Viewer)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I recall reading the press release for this title, and it stated that previous purchasers of JP1 and 2 would be able to order the supplementary disc for $6.95 (or something around that price).

Shad R

Supporting Actor
HHHRRRRMMMMMM...
I wanted to just rent this, cause I didn't think it was as good as the first two, and definately not worth buying! I just wanted to check out the soundtrack. But, if I can't rent it in OAR, I'm going to have to buy it!! Will Hollywood have it OAR? Anyone? Also, what about the DD,I don't have DTS. Is DD awesome?

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron , are you weatching these dvds on your new widescreen tv? Jp3 must look awesome. I am picking up a toshiba 50h81 on sunday. I put a hold on all dvd watching until the set comes in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not only on my new Toshiba 57HX81, but with
my new Panasonic RP91 Progressive Scan DVD player.
The Toshiba sets are amazing! But that's talk
for another thread and area.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
A great review Ron. Will be adding to my collection. Have
got the JP & JP2 on LD (DD). But sad to add that I have
the JP (DTS) DVD with the LFE problem. Lost confidence
in acquiring JP2 (DTS) DVD. Hope JP3 is problem free.
Can't wait for the street date coz did not watch JP3 in
cinemas here.

Luis A

Second Unit
Finaly had a chance to sit down and watch JPIII tonight. Much better than I thought it would be. I won't say too much so I don't spoil it for anybody who has not seen it, IMO though a great movie that can be viewed multiple times without getting old. The DTS track is outstanding, not quite as dynamic as JPI in the LFE area, but I watched JPIII in my wifes office and the LFE shook the cupboard doors in the kitchen open. I give this movie :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: for the DTS track and :star: :star: :star: :star: for the movie itself. Happy viewing.:)
L

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Ron, your reviews are breaking my wallet! I didn't see JPIII in the theater, and really wasn't planning on buying it, but now I may have to. I like the fact that the movie is lean and fast. If I could rent a WS version first, I might do that, but won't rent a P&S from CustomerBuster Video.

Seriously, thanks for another informative review. I'll bet the colors look pretty fantastic with that RP91, eh?

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Yes!! I saw this movie in the theater and was soooo disappointed with the presentation. Poor condition of the film, volume level was too low, etc. I think I've also got on my list the last five dvd's Ron has reviewed. I just have to wait till Xmas to get them all since that's what I asked Santa for.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in-theater; a good clean presentation.

I thought it was good...as good as JP2 (which I enjoyed). I think that JP2 and JP3 are VERY different films, and equally enjoyable for different reasons.

Neither can hold a candle to the first fabulous film!

But JP3 is a worthy effort, from a director with lots to prove. There were plot holes you could drive a spinosaurous through, but who cares: it was all for grins anyway.

Each film had it's own message and morale, but JP3 was the weakest on this. It was, as was indicated, more action and popcorn-oriented.

I'll be there when the disc ships! Sounds like fun!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Could someone please give me the info that I need to pick up the 'correct' version of JP 1? I keep going in to buy other DVD's, see JP 1 and think 'which version is it that's screwed up?'. I'll buy it tomorrow if someone tells me how to identify the right DVD.

I'm really looking forward to JP 3. Thanks for the review Ron!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jim_C, I don't know the answer to your question as far as the pre-existing copies of JP.
But I'm a-thinkin' that if you don't own any of the JP's yet, why don't you wait a mere matter of days and pick up the JP Box set with all three movies...plus the bonus 4th disc?
I'm pretty sure the corrected disc will be in there! :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Jim, there's nothing wrong with the Dolby Digital version of JP1, so if you're getting the DD one then any disc will do. The DTS version had a problem with the LFE, but has since been fixed. These fixed versions have a red technical grid (the part at the bottom where it tells the soundtracks and screen format) instead of the original black grid.

David, the corrected disc will not be in the JP box set, since (to my knowledge) the box set will include the Dolby Digital only versions of Jurassic Park 1 and 2. JP3 has DD and DTS on the same disc. So to get a complete set with DTS, you must buy the DTS-only versions of 1 and 2 and then get 3 and use the mail-in option to get the box and 4th disc.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeremy! I don't want to start a DD vs. DTS war but I have to say that I do tend to prefer the DTS version of movies. I'll be picking up the DTS versions of the JP series when JP 3 is released.

Thanks again.

Gruson

Second Unit
I will be buying this DVD to give the movie another chance.
I loved JP1 and JP2 but when I saw JP3 in the theater it was a big let down. The mechanical effects were horrible, the raptors acted much different and where the hell was the T-rex?? (the true star of JP1 and JP2!!! :)
I was really hoping a T-rex or two would come out at the end and eat that new, big dinosaur and then give that infamous yell toward the camera. Oh well.
I did like Neil being in it again but overall I thought this movie was rushed and lacked the Spielberg feel, which made the first two so good.

Brett C

Second Unit
After just watching this disc,JP3 I would say as good as it sounds it was clear to me that Gary Rydstrom wasn't the sound designer on it, as it didn't have that awe that made the first two movies standout in the sound department.As good as the soundtrack was,it pales compared to the first two...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Gruson, what where the mechanical effects that looked bad. I didn't see any.

I was disappointed with the treatment of the TRex. As a child growing up in the 50's, TRex was the undisputed king. In all the dinosaur movies, he was the king.

Science, or not, I thought he deserved more respect than he got in JP3.

Having said that, I still saw it three times in the theater, and will buy the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks