What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Jaws - 30th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Concerning the "X" mark glue spot, if you rub your finger back and forth over it enough, the "X" will wear off. Mine looks great now.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I did the same thing with mine, and it worked well. Once you rub the glue off, if there are still spot left, use scotch tape and it can peel it off without damaging or defacing the back cover. Plus, I just used paper towel with a little water on it to clena off the rest and it looks great now. Maybe these might help.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I was surprised to find the new DVD actually *does* have a slight edge over the 25th Anniversary release, visually...

Orig DVD on top, 30th Anniversary on bottom. Zoomed in at 200%. Town hall meeting scene. Note slightly more vertical detail (visible in lines of text).

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Has it been confirmed that this is a new transfer? Why else would there be a slight improvement in the picture over the 25th anniversary release?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah i would attribute it to improvments in compression & encoding over the last 5 years.

i was gonna skip this, but with the DDD sale now, i can pick it up for $13...i blame Felix for pushing me over the edge.
insignificant background detail discernable at 200% magnification?

I am so there :)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I like Vincent's response (I also happen to agree)!

And yes, I believe the very subtle improvement is attributable to the new compression and/or less high-freq filtering prior to or during encoding. It does indeed look like the same five year-old transfer, including the slight pillar-boxing along the sides (unnoticed due to overscan).

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Damn, that documentary was excellent. It looks like the analog master for it has decayed a little, but the information within is priceless. By the time they start discussing the preview screenings, you really feel the vindication Spielberg and co. experienced! The vintage featurette they dug up adds a great "then and now" perspective, too. Both of these extras, plus the inclusion of the mono track, more than makes up for anything that's missing. I was on the fence about it, but now I'm very glad I picked it up.

Oh, and the stupid adhesive "X" comes off with rubbing alcohol, too. Didn't damage the slipcover.

Neal K

Agent
Two channel mono for me. As long as you're seated in the center, the sonic image will be centered, and it's fuller than single channel. Once in a while I'll even use a setting that gives me the 3 front channels.

So far, I think the mono track sounds best. The balance between the musical score and dialogue/effects is actually much clearer and has more bite and impact. I find the DTS track a bit hollow in comparison. Wish I had the LD to compare...my suspicion is that it's a bit smoother and has a tad more low end presence.

Frankly, the stereo track I would have liked to see, just for kicks, would be a music only track from the original music session tapes!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Darn it Felix, you just cost me $15.

And yes, this (ever so slightly better picture) may be making a mountian out of a molehil, but I was right on the edge before your post.

-Reagan

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Noooooo!
I wasn't going to get this version, but the posts about the mono track and the slight improvement in the image has pushed me over into getting yet ANOTHER edition of JAWS!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I picked this up and just did a quick check between the mono dvd soundtrack and the laserdisc pcm soundtrack. The scene I compared was the story of the USS Indianapolis, so I haven't compared the whole thing yet. The DVD is not too bad, it seems to have more emphasis on the dialog track and the music is more subdued compared to the LD. The dialog seems to me to be much louder and a little harsher on the DVD than on the LD. The LD has better low end when needed, and dialog and music seem to be better balanced. The DVD track is pretty good though, not quite as good as the laser, but the advantage in picture quality makes the DVD a winner.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If it is the same mono mix, and the relative level of the dialog really sounds louder in relation to the music as compared to the laserdisc, the only explanation would be that one or the other has dynamic range compression applied that would even out the levels.

In other words, if one passage has loud music and quiet dialog, compressing the dynamics will make the music seem a little softer and the dialog a little louder. It's obviously a bit more complex than that, and the effect on dialog/music levels would not be the same throughout the movie.

I don't have a copy of the laserdisc to compare it to myself, though.

Regards,

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

It's after Quint sings his song "Farewell and ado to you fair Spanish ladies," as Hooper has his cage ready to go aboard the Orca. Quint ends with ".. and so nevermore shall we see you again" and we see Richard Dreyfuss' face kind of nodding and laughing at Quint's little tune, and it freezes on Hooper's face for a moment here.

Quibble time -- I really hate layer changes. Even when they're not too bad, they jolt me for a second like this.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Picked up last night, can't wait till the new setup is in place next week so I can actually screen this (along with the new Mcqueen and James Dean sets), but regarding the glue residue... A washcloth and a slight dap of warm water rubbed in with the tiniest drop of Sunlight will take it right off without damaging or even marking the cover. I thought I was gonna have to take my copy back to the store for an exhange when I saw the mark it left on the case but it wiped off easily with a dab of water and Sunshine and looks like mint/pristine condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks