What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Jaws - 30th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I'm stepping up right now in defense of the reviewer.

"Transgression" is way WAY over the top.

"...for which most of us have been waiting..." ?
"Most" according to what poll?

Let's thank the volunteer reviewers for their efforts and offer up suggestions. No one (even in the employment world) should be subject to public criticism.

I for one appreciate the time and effort - think about it... listening to two audio tracks plus the additional features, then making notes and writing a review - if that was all done in 8 hours, I would be greatly surprised.

jeff c

Auditioning
I think the Jaws Unleashed game demo should have been included as an extra.Just 1 or 2 levels would have been nice.:frowning:

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I know this is blasphemy to some, but for this title, if one was not concerned with getting the original mono or additional extras, should one stick with the 25th Anniv. DTS version?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
We all do Steve. But the fact is that the lack of the original mono track and complete doc. have been the thorn in the side of Jaws fans for the last 5 years. I guarantee you after reading the audio portion of the review the majority of people were saying WTF?

Thank you for the review Jason. Looking forward to any additional commentary on the audio.

Andrew, it would appear there are no differences in the video or 5.1 tracks.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

other than the mono track and the full doc and asst other little extra tid bits, no review i've read so far gives any reason to upgrade.
the 5.1 and DTS tracks are the same as is the video quality apparently.

and as to criticism over Jasons review- their are two main draws to this release
-the full doc
and
-the mono track

the 5.1 and DTS releases have been available for something like 5 years now. reviews of those particular tracks have well been covered since then.
same thing with the content of the doc.
everybody with access to the original on LD says its better- and has been saying it better for 5 years now. there is really no issue or contention there.

how this new issue looks and sounds is the main issue for a lot of us, and in that department, the only difference between available releases seems to be a single mono track.

i understand Jason is not getting paid, but it sure was kind of funny to rabidly click on this review only to find the main information that most of us here have been curious about, or to put another way, one of the main complaints about the previous release possibly now rectified, glossed over.

not earth shattering, but it is amusing.
other than that major omission, i did enjoy the review, Jason :)

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I can't understand why people still argue between Mono versus DTS, when clearly DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 is superior anyday of the week (when it's done right!)...I didn't buy a home theater surround system for mono listening.

Being as it may, it's nice to have trailers, but the average viewer only watches them at one time.

We should appreciate that Universal released us the full documentary of "JAWS" instead of arguing over trailers that you'll rarely watch.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The key phrase is "when it's done right". The complaint against the DD and DTS tracks on Jaws is not that they are "inferior" but that they contain poorly done substitute sound effects.

If Universal had come up with a 5.1 soundtrack that didn't have glaringly amateurish differences from the original, no one would have complained (as much).

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Hmmm I never heard about this before. To be honest I have not watched Jaws on DVD yet (just got it last year). I'll likely pick this up now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Some people (like myself) want the original version of the soundtrack. Be it mono, stereo or DTS. The 5.1 mix on Jaws never bothered me as much as it bothers some people but the change is obvious if you're familiar with the movie and I'm happy that the mono mix is on the new disc. It seems like some people are more interested in their speakers than the original presentation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Guys,

Would it have been so hard to ask Jason about the mono track without the insulting (and pointless) comments? Especially considering that Jason had *already* responded to Vincent's polite request by saying he'd revisit it?

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of complaints, the only gripe I have is wishing Universal had released the original cover art of "JAWS", but that's another story!:)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I would guess that *many* people care more about their speakers than about getting an original mono soundtrack. (It's not like they're cutting the sides off the audio! ;) )

That said, I'm no defender of inferior remixes that simply add more channels.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
so is it the CAV laserdisc boxset of Jaws that has the best representation of the film's original soundtrack?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Since I don't have the 25th I will add this 30th to my collection. Thanks for the review.

Also seems to me like their has been enough discussion on the merits of mon vs remixing. Perhaps that can be continued in another thread.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

This sounds an awful lot like, "I didn't buy a big screen television to watch movies with 'dem black bars on the top and bottom." to me.

Per this forum's posted objective the goal is to best replicate what was in theaters in terms of quality and presentation. I don't see how an original, Oscar-winning mono-track doesn't fit that criteria.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I personally live for 5.1 mixes of previously mono films when they're done right... but Jaws ain't it. The 5.1 mix, like the one for The Terminator, is an abomination.

-Lyle J.P.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Well, either the CAV THX box or the later CLV THX box (without CD or book). Any versions before had "some scenes rescored for home video".

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I would think that the picture quality should be noticeably better (like a Superbit DVD) given the 50% bitrate gain from removing an hour long documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks