What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Insomnia" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

BarryS

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, Gordon. I was considering watching the fullscreen version if the movie was Super35, but Panavision movies require widescreen.
Should I buy this unseen? I'm a fan of Pacino and Christopher Nolan and I've seen the original 1997 film. Depending on the price, I may purchase it instead of worrying about finding a widescreen version to rent.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's funny about the P&S issue as far as Insomnia is concerned as the film footage contained in the majority of supplemenets is all P&S and by God it looks terrible.

There's never a "good" p&s job of course, but some films lend themselves more kindly to the process than others, but that's certainly not the case with Insomnia. It's screwed up beyond belief in it's full screen incarnation as seen in the supplements. Ugh.....

I watched my copy this morning, having purchased it blind and hoping for the best. I was actually very pleased with the re-make and the disc is really decent too. I find myself in agreement with most that it's one of the best film transfers on DVD out there, it really is a solid transfer which Warner seem to consistently deliver. The 5.1 too, whilst being mostly up front, was really open and expansive with an incredibly strong centre channel performance.

I think the commentary is going to be of interest to a lot of hopefull filmmakers out there, or maybe just those with an interest in the process of filmmaking, acting, editing and so on and so forth. I think the same can be said of the Nolan/Pacino interview too.

I'm delighted with the purchase.

Dan

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to BarryS:
I bought this DVD without seeing it at the cinema. Solid piece of filmmaking by Nolan. Pacino is at the top of his game and, although some others did not find Williams' performance threatening, if you listen to Williams' insights on the making-of featurette about most killers being normal and plain-spoken. I thought he gave a superb subtle, calculating performance.
I heartily recommend this film and DVD.
Gordy

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I watched this film earlier tonight and it was better than what I expected. One of the things I liked about it was Pacino's performance. As I settled in to watch, I awaited Pacino's over-the-top style, but it never came. Instead, his acting was believeable and realistic. The video side of the DVD was stunning! The film's imagery is beautiful and I thought that the razor sharp transfer displayed all of its detail. I also enjoyed the audio side of this disc, particularly the outdoor, nature sounds and the low level noises in a few of the scenes. However, I agree that some of the dialogue was muffled. So much so that I found myself rewinding several times to catch lines that I missed.

All in all, this one's a good purchase.

BarryS

Second Unit
Holy crap!! I just watched it after finally deciding to pick it up at Circuit City ($14.99). This is a stunning movie!! Definitely the best 2002 movie I've seen yet. I was somewhat bored by the 1997 Norwegian original, but Nolan's film had me on the edge of my seat for the duration. I could actually feel my heart rate increasing during several scenes. Insomnia is an expertly crafted thriller in every respect. The cinematography, dialog, editing, acting, music, plot; everything is top notch. I have to disagree with Ron and say that I think Insomnia is pretty damn near perfect. A lot of people will, no doubt, find it slow, but I found it expertly and deliberately paced. This film proves that Memento was no fluke. Christopher Nolan is an immensely talented filmmaker. After sitting through lame, formulaic "suspense thrillers" like High Crimes for example, Insomnia is like an oasis in the midst of a desert. I truly hope that this wonderful movie is remembered in February when the Oscar nominations are announced. Hopefully, Christoper Nolan, Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank, screenwiter Hillary Seitz, and cinematographer Wally Pfister will all walk away with statuettes. Doubt it though.
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of four.
That's just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Yeah, "Insomnia" and "Unfaithful" were my favourites of the year so far. You can't beat great actors and great directors.
I still find the muffled dialogue a distraction though, but I'm guessing that it was like that theatrically as well.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Loved the movie, and the DVD is by far the best looking I've yet seen. I was in constant awe. Too bad we usually 'demo' only discs with great sound. This would be the demo for video.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Too bad we usually 'demo' only discs with great sound.
Actually, in my DVD collection, I have a video demo section to go along with my audio demo section!

I'll have to add this one to it, right alongside "Moulin Rouge" and the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" Superbit. I think that I would pick the opening plane scene as well as the scene with Pacino driving past the waterfall as my video demos from this DVD.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I bought this one blind yesterday.
Fortunately I was not disappointed. Terrific movie and a gorgeous DVD.
The cinematography in this film is just lovely...and I might add it was shot in and around where I live!
Mostly the stuff they film here is crap, but this one is an exception. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Great Movie.

I found it to be a nice subtle mix with some real 'boom' behind it at times. Definately not lacking in low end in my room.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
**** out of ****

My second best movie of the year, behind Road to Perdition.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Watched My Copy this Evening, I Enjoyed it quite a bit, Pacino gives a "Low Key" (For Him) Performance. And Robin Williams does quite well givenhis little screen time. The Movie really sets a mood that is what I liked best about it.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I had hoped for more from this movie but still enjoyed it very much. I thought it was very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks