What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Heat - Two Disc Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thank you Herb. Great review as always.

It's disappointing the PQ isn't better, but on the other hand (the one that holds my wallet) I am a bit relieved. :)

I will likely pass on this as PQ outweighs extras these days. Now I'll have to see about Get Shorty...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Like several others here, I sold my old DVD on eBay in anticipation of the new 2-disc SE. The good news is that I got $13.50 out of it so upgrading to the new version should only cost me a couple of bucks and that should be worth it for the special features. The bad news obviously is that the SE doesn't have improved video or audio. I think WB really dropped the ball on this one. They made us wait forever to get this new release and then when it FINALLY comes out we don't get any better A/V than a disc that came out several years ago. I'll grudgingly buy this just because I love the movie and my old copy is now gone, but if I knew in advance that the presentation wasn't going to be any better I probably would've just kept my original DVD and not given them another "double dip" sale. :angry:

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Not a bad review, BUT I have an issue with your video rating. I know it's your own rating system and even you admitted having trouble giving it the rating that you did, but if so, WHY give it a '4'?? This is easily a '3'. You even noted some problems and a lack of consistency about the video quality. I'd say, going by your review, this would rate a '3', while something with better consistency would rate a '4' while something truly phenomenal and reference quality would get the '5'. There are some scenes (such as the helicopter scene) that are not merely "so-so", but TERRIBLE near VHS quality.

Not trying to flame at all, just a friendly recommendation for more consideration for the video rating next time.

And on the matter of double-dipping, doesn't look like I am going to now. Oh well.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice review Herb, a very well made if a tad overrated and overlong thriller, if Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner were the two main stars no one would be going gaga over it today. Looking forward to perusing the extras. :)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I cant to get my hands on this. Im triple dipping (I had the crappy LD) and the first DVD (which im giving to my folks). Ive been wanting extras for this for a long time!

Heat is in my top 10 of all time! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice review, Herb! I think I'll wait on this, as I'd like to get the extras eventually, but my budget is probably too tight right now for an upgrade that doesn't improve the A/V.

I remember when I saw this one in the theaters, my first thought was "if he'd cut out about 15 minutes of the material with Pacino's family, this would be an all-time classic." :)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Hmm, maybe it's just an issue with the screen shots, but it looks like the color accuracy is a notch improved on the new release; look at the two shots that show the sky in them--the old version seems to lean ever so slightly toward a purplish cast, whereas the new one looks more accurately blue. And the color looks a bit more saturated in the new version--check out the small red line in the "Harbor Fwy" sign at the right in the first shot--it seems more radiant in the new version. Additionally, the highlights seem a bit punchier--look at the gleam on DeNiro's nose on the second shot and Hank Azaria's forehead in the third; the whites seem purer on the new release. Very subtle differences, not what any of us were hoping for, and maybe not even accurate (again, it could just be an issue with the screen shots themselves and not relective of the actual discs in comparison), but if so, then still an improvement.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I understood it to mean the opposite -- i.e., that the movie's continued popularity is a tribute to the great performances by its two leads. With other casting, the movie wouldn't have been as good.

M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I like this film quite a bit, but it's not one of my all-time-must-haves. So, I take it that I'm OK with keeping the original disc. Everyone here seems to think it's the same transfer. (Oh, and nice review, Herb.)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

But if it is meant to imply that the script is crap, buoyed only by the performances, then it was a poor illustration. CHINATOWN is widely considered one of the greatest scripts in Hollywood history by most film aficionados, but would the film still hold as exalted a place in our hearts if it had starred, say, Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Streisand? Even the best script can be crippled by poor casting; personally, I feel the performances and writing work hand-in-hand in the case of HEAT to make it the modern classic it's become...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

What Michael said. Basically I'm saying that the pairing of Pacino and De Niro arguably the two greatest actors of our time, has elevated this overlong but very well made thriller to almost mythic status. The pairing of Costner and Russell good actors though they are would not have made this film what it is today, a modern classic, IMO.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

Now that you mentioned it, I do see subtle differences in the screenshots so maybe there is a slight increase in PQ on this release. Definitely not the noticeable improvement I had hoped for, though. Oh well, it's still one of my favorite movies and I must have it in my collection even if it's not a reference disc.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Kain, Kane here…

You bring up an interesting point but really, one that’s probably easier to clarify than you might imagine. The fact is the forum doesn’t have icons for ¼’s or ¾’s otherwise I would have awarded it 3.75. Whether it’s closer to a 4 or a 3.5 is really irrelevant, since I described in the review portion what I was getting at. Despite its downfalls, I believe it still warrants more than a 3 though. Obviously this is all very subjective and every reviewer is going to have different thresholds and levels of expectations.

BrentJ

Second Unit
I guess I'll buy the R2 dts version while I can. I was waiting on this special additon. However, it doesn't sound all that special.:frowning:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

It does look as is the framing is a bit different between these versions.

Take a look at the comparison shots with Deniro. Assuming these are both the same frames, Deniro's hairline is different as is what is shown of the camera.

EDIT: These might be different frames. Herb, are you aware of this?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Dave, yes. The 4th frame was damn near impossible to line up and it is a second or two out... still, it gives an you an idea of the similarities of the PQ.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

The transfer from film and the mastering for DVD are two separate steps. It sounds like they used their original transfer and remastered the file for this DVD. The improvement in compression technology since the original's release probably explains the slight increase in picture quality.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Going by those captures, it looks like the original release has the better picture quality.

The SE looks a tad more washed-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks