What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Groundhog Day" Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
More money flying out of my pocket. At least I didn't buy the previous DVD, the LD release has been fine all these years.

Can't say enough good things about this film, if you've avoided it because of preconceived notions regarding the goofy title or an attitude about Bill Murray.....just buy it.

I don't think anyone who has seen it was sorry.

Jim

The location was Woodstock, Illinois.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The improvement in picture quality over the last release is worth the exclusion of a DTS track - especially since DTS wouldn't be much of an advantage for this title.
In my experiences any movie can benefit from DTS and its quite simple down to the fact 99% of the time the dialog is so much better which this movie is driven around that the added benefit of DTS would have been realized.
Either way I'll still buy the disc as ultimately it is about the movie :)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I can't wait for this disc!
but it will probably have to be put back on my list a bit since the Beverly Hills Cop trilogy will clean me out unless I can get my tax refund cheque cashed soon. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Big Picture says Groundhog Day SE does not have a DTS track as indicated in their review.
Where do they say that? It's indeed correct that the DTS mix is MIA, but their review still lists it. I e-mailed Jeff yesterday to correct him; he indicated he'd check it out but the site shows no evidence of a change. He didn't state that he'd actually heard the track - he noted that he went with what it said on the box.

Anyway you look at it, CTS goofed on the package. There's no DTS mix on Groundhog Day...

MichaelG

Second Unit
Is it at all possible that the access to the DTS track just isn't there, but it's still on the DVD? I wonder if you can cycle through the audio tracks while it's playing to find out. But then again, I don't think it would work anyway because the player passes the DTS track differently than the other tracks.

Personally it doesn't matter to me, I was just thinking. Has there been other mis-printed covers stating DTS when there wasn't? I know that there are mis-labeled covers all the time, so maybe this is just another mistake.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it would work anyway because the player passes the DTS track differently than the other tracks.
Huh? If the disc doesn't lock out the ability to change tracks on the fly - and GD doesn't - then the track would show up just like any other. I've had no trouble flipping from DD to DTS on any number of discs...

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Well it looks like i'll have to pick this up. I used to have it on laserdisc. The movie was filmed in Woodstock,IL (which is about 40 miles from me) except for the quarry scene which was film here in Rockford less than a mile from my house.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
DTS track or not, I'll be picking this one up on the 29th. Never got around to picking up the first version and it's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the review Ron.

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my take on the disc, and a personal fav to be sure. (No, there's no DTS by the way). So my bro gets the old copy, I keep the new, everyone's happy. I encourage those who got it before to share the joy, and start anew.
“Groundhog Day” Director Harold Ramis must be Buddhist. Or Jewish. Or he’s a Fundamentalist Christian. Maybe Catholic. Or all of the above?
“Groundhog Day” struck a chord with so many different religious groups, they all wrote to Ramis to show the similarities in the film’s theme and their particular brand of theology. “And one film shall bind them.” No, that’s not how it goes. But it’s interesting that a film so inherently mainstream and beloved also has such a spiritual core.
An engaging retrospective documentary reveals the aforementioned and some other intriguing bits about the beginnings of “Groundhog Day.” It was all meant to start at what we know as the middle part, as our protagonist begins to take advantage of his repetitive nightmare. Somewhere along the way, the plan was changed. At first the writer resisted it, but seeing it work, he’s quite happy about the outcome. This documentary also includes rarely seen outtakes, and has surprising depth for a short segment.
There is a plaque erected in the town of Woodstock (that doubled for the once jealous inhabitants of Punxsutawney, PA) at the precise spot where Bill Murray’s Phil Connors steps in the puddle repeatedly. At least according to Harold Ramis in his audio commentary. Harold falls silent from time to time to enjoy the film regarded by Murray to be the best work that both of them have done or will ever do.
Harold gets caught up in a moment towards the end, tearing up and confessing that he cries more often at films as he gets older. “I cried at X-Men,” he says deadpan, but I’m only half-certain he’s joking. I’m getting caught by the same affliction, but don’t tell anybody.
So in summation, “Groundhog Day” gets the Special Edition treatment, that entails a new transfer (looking good), a new Dolby Digital track (sounding good), audio commentary and documentary that weren’t available before. The packaging states that there is a DTS 5.1 track. I must admit, when I heard this news, I thought it was quite a jump from the first release that only had Dolby Surround. For the record, there isn’t a DTS track on the DVD. Either way, it’s a welcome treat for one of my personal favourite flicks.
Full specs here

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like CTS messed up somewhere along the way, either in their press release or on the DVD itself. Amazon, Reel, and Image-Entertainment all list the upcoming release as having DTS. I also recall (I don't have the link) a discussion here at HTF regarding the fact that the upcoming release was supposed to have DTS.

For whatever it's worth...

DarrenA

Second Unit
Did anyone catch the review of Groundhog Day:SE on DVDfile that was posted today? This clearly shows a lack of reviewing skills...
The original DVD release of Groundhog Day featured only a Dolby 2.0 track. However, Columbia went to town on this new special edition, which features English Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks. Both sound particularly good, especially for a comedy. However, the Dolby Digital is actually a fuller and more enveloping presentation, though whichever option you choose, the greatest beneficiary of the improved audio is the score, with Fenton's varied instrumentation making considerable use of the lefts and rights.
Um...hasn't it already been established that their is NO DTS soundtrack on this new Groundhog Day: SE DVD! Then how can the DD 5.1 soundtrack sound fuller than the DTS 5.1 soundtrack if one does not exist?! D'oh!!!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
:b Oops!

Someone must be very, very embarrassed right about now (or soon will be). So much for professional reviews.

Adam

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Makes it sound as if they have a review generator, especially when comparing dts to DD. Just press a few buttons, and hey presto a sound review which comments upon “more open surrounds, greater defined bass, clearer vocals, and overall more convincing” with dts and the sop of “BTW the DD mix is very aggressive and comes a close second to the dts”

Still it beats “undistinguished mono”…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks