What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Grease Rockin' Rydell Edition (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I've heard about an argument scene between Rizzo and Kenickie that happens after they both storm out of Frosty's........is that scene not included in the deleted scenes?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Also, why are the opening credits presented in such a heavy letterbox/windowboxed format? I know there were some issues with overscan cropping some names before, but couldn't this have been done better by simply windowboxing the 2.35:1 frame? It's jarring.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Am I missing something here? Because as far as I'm aware Paramount has been bilingual since approx. 2003.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

No it's not. The scene is mentioned both in the commentary and in the "looking back" feature. Also, in the commentary, they mention a deleted scene where decorations are being set up in the gym. That's not on the dvd either.

I get very annoyed with stuff like this.

I wonder if there are any other unseen scenes?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps, I can't remember the last Paramount disc I bought in the past few years anyway, save for the semi-recent Peanuts movies (which were not bilingual btw).

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Were elements added to the 1998 mix? Because, I don't ever remember Olivia having backup singers during "Hopelessly Devoted To You." I thought it was a solo. In this mix, they are as loud as she is. Actually, I am disappointed in this release. Paramount should have gone back to the original elements, remastered them, and included the original sound mix. This doesn't bode well for the future of Grease on home screens, in its original 1978 presentation.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Never mind..I just found an article on the net in which Kleiser admits to adding backups singers and hand clapping to the songs, in order to encourage 1998 theatre audiences to sing along. I'm speechless.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention that at the end of "Devoted," some foley effects are completely drowned out by the music, AND the song continues into the next scene. Originally, all you heard was the letter swimming around and the crickets chirping, making it a more poignant moment. Why do they have to mess everything up?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Does the old GREASE DVD have the original soundtrack or is it the 1998 with added effects and backup singers?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Listening to it tonight, I think that the entire soundtrack was rebuilt from scratch. Some songs spill over into the next scene (i.e. Beauty School Dropout), background singers have been added, and foley effects created, remixed, and moved around. Also, there are some examples of really bad gate weave, making the picture jitter for split seconds between shots. Grease needs to be properly restored next time.

Tucker J

Grip
Yeah,pretty much everything has been remixed.I noticed it straight away in the theater.The vocal lines on "Love is a many splendid thing" are up way to high,they used to be more blended in with the orchestra.A base drum has been added in "summer nights" just after the line "did she put up a fight", also the sound of shuffling feet have been added as they dance on the bleachers.Hoplessly devoted to you has some sort of dull snare drum when it should be a rim shot.Rim shot means the drummer hits the metal rim around the drum rather than the drum itself,often used in ballads as was the case before the remix.Greased lightning,well loads of sound effects added like bells or whistles I think,it's a while since I ve watched it,Kenickie's lighter is too loud also but that I can handle.Levels are up and down all over the place at the Rydell dance and whatever happened to "You're the one that I want " is just insane.
I just think it's really unfortunate that the original mix wasn't included,and where's the deleted scene of Kenickie and Rizzo outside the Frosty Palace?

Tucker J

Grip
Oh yeah forgot to mention.I don't hold any high hopes for the HD version either,it will probably be the SD just released in HD.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Of the two English sountracks on this DVD (and the previous one, too), I greatly prefer the 2.0 pro-logic version. There is still a lot of reverb on the music tracks, but it is not as ridiculous as what is pumped into the sourrounds for the 5.1 track. Neither is the original mix, but the DD2.0 is simply less painful.

Regards,

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Got it. And I got the Target "Pink Lady" version too lol. I wasn't aware, going in, about the "remastered" sound mix for dvd. Does anyone have the old dvd to compare? I never got it. Also, I thought the color contrast on Rockin' Rydell was very, very dark. I tried fiddling with the contrast on my tv and it didn't help much. I think my 90s vhs tape has far better color balance, but...

The sound in this version is impossible. Backup vocals are hardly audible in places, esp. "Summer Nights" and "We Go Together." Is this just the same exact version as has been available on dvd for some time? It ain't much. If anyone has the old dvd, I wouldn't bother to upgrade until at least the next format, and maybe not even then. Why did they re-engineer the sound to make it worse than it was in 1978? I don't get it. Don't get it at all.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The old dvd is the exact same mix. I compared the film to my 1982 (!) vhs tape. It's ridiculous what they did to this film. If I want to sing along, I will. But I don't need backup singers that were never on the track to push me along. Olivia's ballad has been turned into something of a mess. Which is a shame, because it was always one of my favorite scenes. But to change the placement of some foley effects, drop others, and insert more is insane. Add to that the fact that they started with a bad print from '98 (poor contrast, color, and sharpness) which looks very little like the Grease I remember is a shame. There were moments when the frame jittered that I thought I was watching a warped vhs tape. And the gate weave starts with the Paramount logo. It's bad during the end credits as well. Overall, a big disappointment. I picked up Grease 2, as well. And even though it was in much better shape, Paramount used so much DVNR it pretty much cancelled its positive technical aspects out. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Paramount is the worst offender of DVNR overuse. And it needs to stop. Because, when HD becomes commonplace, these messy transfers are going to be all too apparent and even Joe Six Pack will start crying foul. Mark my words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks