What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Good Night, and Good Luck (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I enjoy the benefits of a degree in communications, which means that I spent a lot of time in class watching tapes of Edward R. Murrow (and listening to my professors practically genuflecting before his graven image :D).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Ron, I would assume you pre-ordered this already and that's what you mean by "bought"???

Totally missed this in the theater but it's definately on the gotta see list.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Murrow's been a hero of mine since I was a kid and I think Clooney and Strathairn really did him justice. My favorite film of last year and I can't wait to have the DVD in my hands *fingers crossed* this weekend.

Nice review, Herb. Whetted my apetite even more.

Interesting aside: I heard an interview of Strathairn (a non-smoker) over the weekend. The DP, Robert Elswit, had the cast smoke pipe-tobacco to make the smoke more visible on camera.

Rob

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Did it come with a guarantee on the box? Sorry, I just watched Tommy Boy. :)

From someone over at DVDTalk who gets to see the circulars early, GNAGL will be $14.99 at Circuit City. I wish I didn't have to buy a car, otherwise I would pick this up. Terrific movie. It was in my Top 10 of 2005.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this Saturday night and loved it.

Having no identifying supers in the companion piece really bugged me though. The only one I knew was Clooney. As for the folks that worked on the movie and who lived those lives... It would have been nice if they were identified. Seems like it might have been not quite finished for the DVD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Is it only me...? I'm seeing quite a bit of compression muck in this title - mostly seen as clumpy areas of grain, and a bunch of mosquito noise in the opening titles (crawl?) describing the backdrop of the McCarthy hearings.

Fantastic performance by Strathairn - very understated and by no means simplistic. That's a tough character to get right - the gravity of the situation, the straight way of delivering news and the almost below-the-surface contempt for the "fluffier" stuff he had to do. Strathairn was magnificent, actually.

The film deals with a fascinating topic, and I nonetheless found it strange that it felt longer than its 90-odd minutes.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

the guy by himself talking about 'dad' is casey murrow. the guy with the much older lady talking about 'dad' are fred friendly's son and wife. the two old people are joe and shirley wershba. if i remember correctly those are the only people in there that weren't directly involved with the film. hope it helps.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
Herb, I see you're Canadian, as am I, and I was wondering if you've noticed that this movie isn't distributed by Warner up here in the Great White North. IIFC, it was released through TVA(?) Is it the same disc? The packaging didn't even indicate if it was anamorphic.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Hi Ken... I was in the Future Shop last week and noticed that (and the inferior looking cover art as well). However, I receive all of my screener product from the US so the version I reviewed was the US (WB) version. Sorry I can't help. I was very impressed with this disc as well as the film though - one of my favorites of the year.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
What is so super about this film? It was no real challenge to the actors, and in terms of content, it wasn't very educational. I don't feel I know anything much at all about Mac Carthy or politics of that era. Don't feel like I was really educated on Morrow other. Pretty shallow if you asked me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks