What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Glengarry Glen Ross" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought it at BB for 19.99 and got the 5 dollar gift card with purchase so i bought reign of fire, for 17.99 minus the 5 thats 12.99!!!!!!!!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this last night. I've seen it so many times on VHS, and I never expected this movie to be a 2.35:1. As much as I always loved seeing this movie, it doesn't compare to seeing it in OAR with the awesome transfer. I think I was more excited about getting this DVD than Attack Of The Clones. Everyone should have this in their collection.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
GGR's release date for Canada is the 26th.
Yes, I was surprised that I was unable to find this in Future Shop tonight. I was sure that their website listed the Nov 19 date. I even asked one of the staff why I couldn't find it... they pulled it up on their in-store system, and it had the release date as this week as well... but the little "release date" paper beside the computer listed the Nov 26 date. So even though the computer listed 20 in stock, I wasn't able to get one.

Any word on why the delay? Is this an Alliance Atlantis release? I wasn't aware they handled Artisan property, but it seems most AA releases are consistently late anymore, so I'm just curious. Surely all the delays lately can't be just for French packaging... Paramount seems to have no trouble at all releasing bilingual packaging the same day as the American release. And as I mentioned above, FS already had 20 units today, so why have a delayed released when the product is available in time for the original date anyway?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You can always count on Alliance Atlantis to screw things up. :angry:
I checked the local FutureShop in the hope that they accidently put GGR on the shelves, but none were in sight. I even checked behind their CD/DVD listening counter. No dice!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming GGR will be "bilingualized" because of 2 reasons:

1 - the 1 week delay in Canada
2 - CNL.com has GGR listed twice - one for Alliance and the other for Artisan. Nothing to indicate it being bilingual however.

I decided to order from Amazon.com anyways. I'll get it this week and will avoid a possible bilingual package.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I ordered GGR from Amazon.ca. It had "IMPORT - WIDESCREEN" in the title, so I hope it's the US version. There is a possibility that they would swap it with the Canuckian version, since I ordered it only yesterday, 1 week before the Canadian street date.

Oh well.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Reservoir Dogs (another Artisan title) had no bilginual text of any kind on it. Hopefully the same is true with Glengarry GlenRoss.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Reservoir Dogs (another Artisan title) had no bilginual text of any kind on it. Hopefully the same is true with Glengarry GlenRoss.
True, but perhaps it had to do with RD being packaged with 5 different colours and a good deal of text on the inside cover. Alliance may have thought that it was too time consuming and cost-prohibitive for them to tackle this release.

Plus I don't know of any DVDs that were delayed in Canada, and did NOT have bilingual packaging.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Is anyone else having a GLITCH problem with DISC 1??

When the menu comes up and I want to choose either SETUP, SCENE INDEX or SPECIAL FEATURES it goes directly to the movie

I own a JVC XV-D723

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron. I bought this on a blind purchase and was not disappointed. It truly has some of the best performances by some of the best actors of our time. This forum always gets me to watch something I would have totally missed otherwise. This is why I keep coming back.:)
I also bought it at Best Buy and received the $5 gift card. $14.99 is a great price for this wonderful movie.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Just got it tonight. Haven't watched it yet but have skipped through. It looks like one of those transfers that almost makes you want to cry because it looks so damn good. I've always dreaded buying older films on DVD because most of the time the transfers were not as good as I want them to be. But it finally looks like the studios are starting to put some work into their DVD's. I know a lot of people are let down by the lack of supplemental material a lot of the time but I really don't care that much. I just want the film (the part of the DVD I will watch repeatedly) to look immaculate, and this one certainly delivers in that department.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Anyone enjoy the Easter Egg yet?

From memory, so forgive me...on disk 2, click to the right of "Main Menu" in Special Features page and I believe the word "Bar" is highlighted. Click on that and you're treated to some actors tackling the Alec Baldwin monologue.

Cheers,
Felix

Ron Kaye

Agent
Listened a bit to the Lemmon commentary on LD Version. Too bad they didnt include it here. I can understand why (kind of tacky to include a dead actors commentary). Most people didnt own LD players and wouldnt know that Lemmon did it for that format.

Andy_S

Second Unit
They did a Walt Disney commentary for Fantasia recently. I think they could have just put some text in the Commentaries section explaining that it was recorded for the laserdisc years ago.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I watched the easter egg....I promise you'll never take Baldwin for granted after seeing it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed something odd on the packaging of the 2-Disc Glengarry DVD. .....
It claims that the 2.35:1 transfer is "matted". ???? :confused:
Is this just a typo do you think? Should have the proverbial "presented in "scope" aspect ratio..." spiel, should it not?
Isn't it a rarity to mat a 2.35 AR film?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
"Matted" in this context means it is present with mattes aka black bars. This is necessary for all 2.35 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks