What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Giant" (1 Viewer)

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
Rain:

You may be right. I am just doing the calculation with a measuring tape to get the ratio. Very empirical method I know.

But one thing is for certain: There is more image in the new 2 disc edition.

So, was the Canadian release cropped wrongly?

By the way, I have a 42" widescreen TV. I check both by looking at the image in both 16x9 and 4x3 settings on my player.

J

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Juan: Apart from aspect ratio differences...which DVD version has the better overall picture quality? Also, does anyone know if the Canadian version is available anywhere online?

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching this DVD (Non-anamorphic) last night.

I saw a big chunk of edge enhancement and halo effect througout the film. I am wondering whether it was intended by the director, or simply because it was a bad transfer??

I read the reviews from several site, but no one mention this. DVDFILE.com even said it was out of any E.E. and halo.
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...o_6/giant.html

If you can see some pictures here, you'll know what I mean:
http://www.chud.com/chudvd/reviews/giant.php3

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I read the reviews from several site, but no one mention this.
*ahem* SOMEONE said there was rampant EE:

"Many of the problems related to sharpness. A lot of the movie looked just fine and depicted accurate and concise images. Unfortunately, substantial amounts of the film came across as terribly soft and fuzzy. Significant parts of the flick were ill defined and lacked clarity.

The main culprit behind this was some of the most heinous edge enhancement I’ve seen on a recent DVD. Actually, I’m hard-pressed to think of many other discs with such heavy haloes. Not all of the movie showed them, but they popped up a lot of them time and really created some enormous distractions. For example, examine the scene in which Jett surveys his new piece land; Dean looked like an alien with some sort of forcefield around him! "

http://www.dvdmg.com/giant.shtml

I'll say this: if someone doesn't see EE in Giant, they don't know what EE is.

Upcoming Discs (http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev..._where=studios), DVD Angle ( http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3270) and Digitally Obsessed (http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=4805) also saw EE, so it's not just me - dunno how many reviews you looked at, but it wasn't hard to find some the saw EE...

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Waw! Thanks for the links Colin.

I'll never want to visit DVDFILE.com again.

All the reviews of the picture quality are largely mentioning the non-anamorphic thing. Maybe that's why they all overlook the edge enhancement issue...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Some of the problems which may appear to be EE on Giant are in fact --- not.

Within certain scenes, one can see problems endemic to the production via the early Eastman stock combined with Warner processing...

and not the transfer.

These will occasionally show up in high contrast areas.

RAH

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I'll say this: if someone doesn't see EE in Giant, they don't know what EE is.
Collin, you know I respect your work and enjoy your reviews, but the following can also true: if someone sees 'rampant' EE in Giant, they might need to brush up on their ability to distinguish EE and other causes of similar artifacting.

While I'm sure you have excellent equipment that has been properly calibrated, so often I have heard complaints about EE only to discover upon examination of their displays (TVs and projectors) that the primary culprit was not the video source but rather the display.

Of course this is only one factor of many that contribute to some false claims of EE on video. Robert Harris pointed out yet another example.

EE most certainly exists (as seen on this DVD), and occasionally used to the extreme, but there is a great deal of misinformation about the levels of EE on a lot of DVDs getting reviewed lately. It's almost like EE has become a favorite catch phrase of some reviewers and a catch all for apparent artifacting in a screen shot.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, you put me in MY place, didn't you? :D

Let's say this, at least. Whether or not the apparent EE in Giant is ACTUAL EE, it certainly causes distractions. Any reviewer who doesn't mention it hasn't done his job. I don't think there's much dispute that the artifacting occurs on this DVD, is there? It's just a question of the cause.

I interpreted it as EE because I've watched hundreds of DVDs on the same setup and not seen problems like that very frequently. Also, the issues appears frequently enough to lead me to feel that way, and the fact it was apparently a recycled LD transfer - which likely would have been subjected to EE - added to my interpretation...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Well, you put me in MY place, didn't you?
:b

Well let's just say if I was fined a nickel for every time I misidentified an artifact on film and video over the last couple decades I'd be a very poor man!

I still misidentify various forms of dithering, especially motion and temporal. (of course it doesn't help that the majority of my viewing is on DMD DLP projectors)

I can't add anything new regarding the quality of Warner's SE DVD of Giant and I know as much about the transfer, the film elements used for the transfer, and the history of those elements as Jessica Simpson knows about Tuna Fish.

(uh oh... did I just put myself in place?) :D

BTW Colin, have you fixed that atrociously negligent review of that new Underworld DVD yet? ;)

(thank goodness for smilies or else I'm not sure how I would be able to express my sarcastic dry witted Texan humor)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Man, good thing I don't know what EE is or how to look for it because I just purchased this blind last week and really enjoyed the feature and extra features. :)

I did notice the conspicuous absence of Elizabeth Taylor from the extras though. And James Dean too! Okay, obviously joking about the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks