What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I disagree. Maybe a couple of the Friday films had worse acting, but in general the acting was much, much better. I also think that acting is important in these films. I'm not asking for De Niro in Godfather 2, but it's important for the actors to play the scares right.

Freddy vs. Jason wasn't worth the wait for me. Aside from a few good death scenes, the movie is atrocious. I'd rank it with some of the mid-range F13 movies like 2 and 7.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Is it really short-stocked or are people just being impatient? I saw at least 3 sets on the shelf today with the bonus disc.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I still think the acting in the current slashers (post SCREAM) are a lot better than anything we got in the big day of the genre. I think some rather good performances have come through the past ten years or so and I don't think I could say that about the earlier films. In the early days, a good performance is "good for a horror film". Had that performance been in a drama or comedy then we'd be bashing that actor/film to death. That's why I usually say the performance doesn't matter in a horror movie because they basically just need to stand in line to be slaughtered.

I think how fun that character is is a lot more important than the actual performance. Looking through that Horror Challenge it's clear to see us fans enjoy a lot of films that are technically very poorly made. To me, the badness of some of these films is what really makes them special. I think a DeNiro like performance in a F13 film could do more harm than good. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know why, in Part III, in the beginning of the film, where Jason gets up after the Part II flashback, through the opening titles, there is a black, windowbox bar on the right side of the frame?

Paul D G

Screenwriter

I think there are some areas without a Best Buy nearby, or some states where they don't have a presence.

-paul

BrandonJF

Second Unit
On release date, the set seemed to be selling out at many local Best Buy stores in my area (I was checking store availability online before I left work). I had to go to a store out of my way to pick one up and one of the three sets they had left didn't have the bonus disc.

I stopped by a BB that had been sold out earlier in the week and they had replenished their stock - there were a bunch of F13 sets on the shelf now. None of them had the bonus disc, though.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What's unfortunate to me is that we've had dozens of pages and a few threads about this set before it was released. Now that it's here, almost nobody is even commenting on it. What an odd phenemonon.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my copy on Friday at the 3rd Best Buy that I visited & they only had 2 left. I tried to get Best Buy to match there price on there website but the guy said that they couldn't but he was actually cool as he hooked me up with one of those 20% off DVD coupons that were in the Madden 05 book that they were giving away & I got it for $46.19 & of course like mostly everyone else NO BONUS DISC but I am glad I got it & I know have all the Jason movies including Freddy vs. Jason. Also you can check out a timeline & other cool Friday the 13th info at this website.

Friday the 13th Films

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got back from BB and they had gotten 7 copies in stock this morning but they were sold out by the time I got there (2pm). My Wal-Mart and Target were also sold out, which is a good sign.

Porfirio

Second Unit
Anyone know if there has been any changes to the Friday the 13th set? I just picked up my copy from Target and I noticed that it has a sticker, with a different UPC number, over the original UPC. The number on my set is 097360523324 (which, by the way, DVD Profiler does not recognize) compared to 097360523348 which is listed on DVDEmpire.com.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My Best Buy has been sold out for a couple of days. I saw 2 copies last week. The local Meijer (mid-western grocery/department store chain) has had 3 copies in stock for a week or so. It's still to pricey for me, but I might consider buying it during DDDs next 20% off sale.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i was under the impression that these were the same transfers as the original dvd's, but one review stated pt. 1 has a much better transfer than the original dvd. is this true?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Part 1 was redone (probably so it's actually the R-Rated cut this time) and part 4 was redone cause of complaints from the original release.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
so the original Friday pt.1 dvd has more than the re-release??

is the transfer so much better that it's worth the cuts?

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
can anybody get part 8 to play? I can't but I can get the other 2nd parters to play?

oh and to answer Sean Patrick's question I really couldn't tell much of a diffrence in the transfers. The review at horrordvds.com has comparison shots and said the new transfer was a bit brighter and less vibrant.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Jeez, I'm weak. I pulled the trigger and used a 10% off DDD coupon to get it for 50 and change shipped. I'll just consider it an early birthday present to myself
smile.gif

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I got it for about the same price as well Matt, except I also bought Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X off ebay for AU$5 a piece.
smile.gif

Porfirio

Second Unit
quote:Part 1 was redone (probably so it's actually the R-Rated cut this time) and part 4 was redone cause of complaints from the original release.

What was wrong with Part 4? I never bought the first DVD releases so I really don't know.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
quote:I got it for about the same price as well Matt, except I also bought Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X off ebay for AU$5 a piece.

Nice
smile.gif

I bought Jason Goes to Hell about a year ago for 10 bucks, and added Jason X to my DDD order for 9. I hate the movie, but...hey, I've gotta have a complete collection
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks